Poll: Confidence Measurement in USMNT Defenders for WC performance

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Ronaldo's Idol, May 12, 2006.

1. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    Of these defenders (whom I've chosen as the ones most likely to play significant minutes in the WC), who do you think is the most likely to make a significant defensive error that costs us a goal?

Note that this error could consist of a simple mental mistake like not marking their man, or it could be a poor giveaway in the defensive third, or it could be getting outrun or outmuscled by their mark or beat 1 v 1 in the box on the dribble or in the air. It could also include getting beat consistently on the wings allowing open crosses, one of which becomes a goal by no one's fault but the outside back due to the high frequency of open crosses allowed.

Cherundolo
    Lewis
    Onyewu
    Pope
    Gibbs
    Bocanegra

Note that you can vote for up to 3.

Try to envision that player's performance in the WC, against WC quality competition. Ignore good performances from CONCACAF except against Mexico and perhaps Costa Rica, as the rest of the teams aren't WC quality (including T &T even though they are in it).

The point of this poll is that in the WC, sooner or later the USMNT defense will be under immense pressure and someone is gonna be the weak link. Imagine we're playing Brazil or England, and onslaught after onslaught of attacks are coming our way, and these defenders are isolated 1 v 1 over and over. Who is going to get beat and cost us?

2. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Onyewu, Gibbs, and Chero are my picks of showing class.

3. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll abstain. I don't like polls where I have to pick who is the most likely to f@#k up. That's bad energy with just a month to go.

Happy thoughts. Happy thoughts.

4. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's remember who's fault it was for the first goal against Germany. Cherundolo started that fiasco..and then Ching missed his marking..and then Keller was caught in no man's land...

Cherundolo..is the weaker of the backs..in my opinion.

Just because Eddie Pope plays for Real..doesn't make him the weakest..Real Salt Lake could have Paolo Maldini in his prime and it wouldn't do any good.

RevsFanDan

5. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC

actually, i think having maldini in his prime would help them a lot

6. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    As much as I like Agoos, I am glad he is not back there this time around. Frankly, I don't think ANY of these men will make the physical mistakes Agoos made in the World Cup four years ago.

7. fieldsy34

fieldsy34 New Member

May 8, 2006
    i try not to mention the name "agoos" anymore, it brings back too many bad memories.

8. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Probably Gibbs or Onyewu.

I think their inexperience could cost us at a PK.

9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Onyewu. PK plus red.

10. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  11. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    i defentally know that pope wont be most likely hes consitant and has much experiance i say one of the younger guys or maybe lewis since hes new to the defender postion

12. hirtme

hirtme Member

Nashville SC
    May 2, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm slightly concerned about that myself.

Koller is a huge dude that Gooch is gonna have to bang. If he drawls a red card from acting it would be a crying shame.

I voted Pope based on the theory its a young mans game. But Lewis was a close 2nd.

Overall though, I'm pretty optimistic about our D. Shouldn't be a problem. I'm worried about our finishing if anything. Hell, its so close now, I'm not worried about anything. We are gonna kick some ass. Bring on Group E!:D