Politics Board Viewing Recommendation Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mel Brennan, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is for TV/film viewing that folks think essential to the engagement/understanding of any issue pertinent to this board.

Mods, please sticky this alongside the "Book Recommendation" thread.

I'll kick it off with a 1993 Academy Award winner, The Panama Deception:

The Panama Deception documents the untold story of the December 1989 U.S. invasion of Panama, including never before seen footage of the invasion and its aftermath, as well as interviews...

2. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    ANIMAL HOUSE - because some of you REALLY need to ligthen up

3. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    INDEPENDENT MEDIA IN A TIME OF WAR: (also available on VHS)

Part scathing critique, part call to action, "Independent Media In A Time Of War" is a hard-hitting new documentary by the Hudson Mohawk Independent Media Center (www.hm.indymedia.org). This film is composed of a speech given by Amy Goodman, host of Democracy Now! illustrated by clips of mainstream media juxtaposed with rare footage from independent reporters in Iraq. The documentary argues that dialogue is vital to a healthy democracy. "Independent media has a crucial responsibility to go to where the silence is," says Amy Goodman, "to represent the diverse voices of people engaged in dissent." She makes a compelling argument that the commercial news media have failed to represent the "true face of war..."

4. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't this liberal just die? I read her obituary recently...Is that why this film is being surfaced?

5. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I've always been a big fan of Meatballs, myself.

Oh, and GRUNT!: The Wrestling Movie is a damn fine flick.

And where is the sticky demanded by the All Knowing Mel?? Asleep at the switch, Dante?? :rolleyes:

6. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Ground Truth: The Human Cost of War is a work in progress produced and directed by Patricia Foulkrod and in association with Operation Truth, an non-profit organization created by Iraq veteran Paul Rieckhoff. This film is our soldiers’ perspective of the Iraq War, and how they are being treated upon returning home. It goes beyond the war stories to look underneath our American tradition of engaging in war and then abandoning the warrior...

Part One
    Part Two

7. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Dear Lord, he's on a roll!!

Can you work Victory at Sea in, by any chance, Mel? Because that would be great....

8. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I agree. I did lighten up after watching Office Space and Animal House last night...great job by AMC! :)

9. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes: Quite simply, you could contribute. Do you have anything to contribute? I'd be interested in any works that are on-line, or otherwise available, that you think add to the engagement/understanding of any issue pertinent to this board.

-----

The University of Edinburgh Gifford Lectures 2004/05

Professor Noam Chomsky
    "Illegal but Legitimate: a Dubious Doctrine for the Times."

The Gifford Lectures are held at each of the four ancient Scottish universities. They were established under the will of Adam Lord Gifford, a Senator of the College of Justice, who died in 1887. For over a century, the Gifford Lectures have enabled a distinguished international field of scholars to contribute to the advancement of theological and philosophical thought.

The Gifford Lecture Series in 2004-2005 was to have been delivered by Professor Edward Said. Sadly he died on 25 September 2003. The Series in 2004-2005 is dedicated to his memory.

Past Gifford Lectures at Edinburgh include William James, John Dewey, Albert Schweitzer, Niels Bohr, Arnold Toynbee, Sir John Eccles, Iris Murdoch, Charles Taylor, Michael Ignatieff and J Wentzel van Huyssteen.

This event was recorded on the 22nd March 2005 at the McEwan Hall, Edinburgh...

10. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    While it's an interesting thread, please DON'T sticky this. I hate scrolling through ten stickied threads just to get to something new.

11. Mikeshi

Mikeshi New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Jasper,Ga
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ghosts of Rwanda

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/ghosts/

"As an act of memory and witness; as historical indictment of not just the perpetrators of genocide, but also of the politicians and bureaucrats who allowed it to happen; as an illumination of the motives driving the murderers, as well as those animating the individuals caught in an unimaginable situation, 'Ghosts of Rwanda' fails to tell a coherent story. ...

It fails to offer viewers consolation for its images of men, women, and children hacked to death by machetes, or to offer reassurance that international mechanisms are now in place to prevent such atrocities from happening again. That is to say, 'Ghosts of Rwanda' is a success;..."

12. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Prior to working on the SC vacancy, the Senate Judiciary committee should be required to watch Inherit the Wind.

13. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes

Well, Mel, it's my new goal to add lighthearted humor to every thread on BigSoccer. Outside of that and a few term papers plus a review of NASCAR Experience: IMAX, I'm all tapped out.

Although I would like to add that I keep having the same dream over and over: I'm riding in a tank, tearing ass through Europe, and I keep running over bunnies. Do you think that means something? Do you have that same dream? I know we both love to hear ourselves talk, so I figured maybe the dream was spreading, too.

14. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donald Rumsfeld, President Ford's Chief of Staff, in 1975, on the Presidency...
    [​IMG]

Part One
    Part Two

15. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Ahh yes Office Space

That magnificent treatise on modern economic human in his quest to defeat the evil capitalist oppressors who resorts to gangsterism and economic terrorism to defeat the evil Lumbergians

16. Mikeshi

Mikeshi New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Jasper,Ga
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched Gunner Palace last weekend, excellent documentary.

18. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gary Webb: In his own words

Gary Webb, the Pulitzer prize-winning reporter who broke the story of the CIA’s involvement in the importation of cocaine into the U.S., died on Friday, December 10, 2004, reportedly from self-inflicted gunshots to the head.

It was a tragic end to a brilliant, and tragic, career.

This interview was conducted as part of a video course GNN’s Stephen Marshall and I gave at the School of Authentic Journalism’s 2003 seminar in Merída and Isla de las Mujeres, Mexico. Here Webb discusses the media battle that erupted in the aftermath of his groundbreaking 1996 investigation into the CIA’s drug dealing operations during the 1980s to aid the Nicaraguan Contras...

19. Mikeshi

Mikeshi New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Jasper,Ga
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think there's ANYTHING today's citizens need to see more than this work. I'm actually sharing the Criterion Collection version with Laurel this week...

I jumped up out of the foxhole and I didn't know which way I was goin' outside of BACK, dig?

21. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room

22. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    check out "the quiet american". very good flick and even better novel.

23. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    A few BBC documentaries...

The Century of Self - This documentary changed my view of politics and the world. It "examines the rise of the all-consuming self against the backdrop of the Freud dynasty." The first two episodes might be a little slow for some but are recommended as they provide context for the excellent final two episodes.

The Power of Nightmares - From the same person who made Century of Self. "In the past our politicians offered us dreams of a better world. Now they promise to protect us from nightmares." A history of the American neo-conservatives and the radical Islamists.

Jonathan Miller's Brief History of Disbelief - Apparently, the first and only television history of disbelief. One of the most interesting and intelligent documentaries I've seen.

The Atheism Tapes - They had so many good interviews from the Brief History of Disbelief that were cut to save time that the BBC decided to release them as The Atheism Tapes. Six interviews, 30 minutes each, with various scientists, philosophers and theologians. The interviews with Steven Weinberg and Colin McGill are my favorites.

All these are available to download off the internet via bit torrent.

24. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supersize Me.