Politics and college football...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dfb547490, Nov 23, 2004.

1. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    This just occured to me...the major college football conferences nearly all fall neatly into "red" and "blue" camps, based on which states they include.

Football Big East: Entirely blue (BE for other sports is blue except for Notre Dame)
    SEC, Big 12: Entirely red
    ACC: Nearly entirely red, only blue-state school is Maryland (and BC next year)
    Pac-10: Entirely blue except for Arizona and Arizona State

The Big 10 is the only major conference with anything resembling an even split (7 blue-state schools, 4 red-state schools).

It's even there in the minor conferences--Conference USA's only blue-state school is West Point (which is as red of a school as you're going to find anywhere in the country, regardless of where it's located), the MWC is entirely red except for San Diego State, same with the WAC save for Fresno State, San Jose State, and Hawaii. And the Sun Belt conference is entirely red as far as I know (I have no idea where Troy University is located). The MAC is about 50-50, tho.

This doesn't mean anything at all, I just thought it was interesting.

2. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

And here I thought you were going to mention the self-discipline voluntarily imposed by Clemson and USC.

Politcally, its certainly a contrast between "we screwed up and we'll make sure it doesn't happen again" and "Iranian dissidents are way more believable than Iraqi ones when it comes to nuclear program secrets"

3. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    College athletics in general are bastions of conservatism. You don't find too many hippies at Cal games.

4. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    How would you know? Unless you were one of the sad souls that actually went to a Bears game before Tedford's arrival. Man you must have been bored, and then lonely.
    Ah, for those glorious seasons when only a catastrophe postponed victory over a winless Rutgers would save Cal from an 0-11 record.

5. Dan Loney

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Class of '91, the last time Cal was in the Top Ten.

6. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    West Virginia is red. Next year in football it will be an even split: 4 red, 4 blue.

7. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Wow, you had games worth going to? My Saturday afternoons (except for the Stanford game) were devoted to the more exciting "laugh at all the hippies" related activities.

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Conferences are formed pretty much by region and proximity. Penn State is the biggest exception, and they've always been a Big Ten kinda football program anyway.

I had a HS classmate who drove a Chevette. We referred to it as "The 'Vette" only in jest. :)

9. Dan Loney

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Well, we did lose to Stanford every year I was there, which annoyed.

I remember when Troy Aikman's UCLA came up and pounded the crap out of us. Man, that was bad. Although yeah, apart from seeing no Big Game wins, I was a lot luckier than some classes.

10. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Having left pretty recently, we only good good the last season when Tedford showed up. Man Holmoe sucked donkey balls. Then again, this was my second degree, so I shouldn't complain too much.

11. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    That's only because violent ground acquisition games such as football are in fact a crypto-fascist metaphor for nuclear war.

13. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side

14. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

15. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember that Cal and Rutgers played that year. Amazing Re: their turnaround.

Who cares tho, when California had Jason Kidd, Lamond Murray and Shareef (sp?) Abdur-Rahim. Way better than BC has ever had in hoops.

Just saying.

16. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    cause, you know, state college is so freaking far away from ann arbor and columbus.

so we're willing to summise that those who work at or attend places of higher education supported kerry, by and large? maybe that IQ chart has some truth in it....

17. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just FYI, College football was invented in a blue state

18. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Troy University is in the very red state of Alabama.

19. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here I go thinking that Tim Russert's kid will be walking on to the BC Football team as a kicker or something.

20. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kerry won among people with advanced degrees and high school dropouts. Bush won among everybody in between.

21. Dan Loney

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    More threadjacking, but I remember when Kidd left Cal, and we were all baffled that he would leave before finishing his engineering degree. I mean, a Berkeley engineering degree - that's a pretty hot ticket!

Maybe after this basketball thing ends, he can go finish his degree, and maybe have some kind of future.

Or go back to beating his wife.

(Prefers Kevin Johnson as Cal basketball role model)

22. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Of course not, the hippies are busy at the Free Mumia pot fests.

23. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    You don't know hippies well Ian. They could never get organized enough to stage a rally.*

*Phish shows excluded.

24. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    That's unfair - when I was at Berkeley they were easily roused to support the Ayatollah Khomeini. And when the moonies held a demonstration to show their love of America, that was sufficient to gather them into an irate mob throwing rocks.