Political Ruminations by Me

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by Bill Archer, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've all been inundated with "What Kerry did wrong" and "What the Democrats need to do" and "How Evil Puppetmaster Karl Rove Concocted his Nefarious Scheme to Establish a Permanent Facist Junta in Washington" articles until they're coming out of our ears.

Most somewhat responsible and/or intelligent commentators moved quickly past the "Evangelical Christian Takeover of America" meme - which is both ridiculous and statistically false - and have pointed out that the Democrtas ran a lousy campaign with a lousy candidate which, in my experience, is the usual reason for losing a political campaign.

Smart campaigns offering attractive candidates who have something to say often win. Moronic campaigns offering candidates you wouldn't want in your living room saying absolutely nothing at all of interest often lose.

Most of the left though, as badly as they might want to, just can't get past the easy, convenient and remarkably arrogant "The American people are just too stupid and drunk with Snake-handling, talking-in-tongues and burning down black churches to understand our highly sophisticated brand of politics" theory.

Which is fine with me. It's been years since they had a clue anyway.

So much has been written and said by so many people that there's just not much to add.

Except this:

The first thing you learn in practical politics is to never let your opponent define you. Interestingly, George Bush lost his first try for political office, a Congressional race in Texas, when his opponent portrayed him as an Eastern Liberal.

When the oppositon gets to tell everyone who you are, they are reliably unflattering. It ought to go without saying.

Amazingly, the Left is busy working at defining Americans into two different groups:

One group is people who hold down regular jobs, raise families, go to Church, want government to leave them alone and believe in the American dream.

The other group is called Democrats.

You can blame Karl Rove all you want, but the LEFT is drawing these lines, not him. He's just playing the cards.

It's astonishing to me, and the left shows no inclination to try and change this paradigm. What they seem to want is for everyone to wake up one morning, sit bolt upright on bed, slap themselves on the forehead and say "Holy cow! I'm a stupid Bible-thumping know-nothing rube! What was I thinking?"

I know the lefties main theme is that they're just smarter than the rest of us, but this is astonishingly stupid.

2. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What gets me is this militant anti-south thing going on. In the past 40 years, 3 democrats have been elected president. All three came from the south.

Yes, the south carries emotional, historical and political baggage. But as they say, maybe it is time to "move on" -- I mean, the south today is not the south of 40 years ago.

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but the irony for these people, and the race pimps like Jesse Jackson and Cynthis McKinney, is that if the South is not just one big lynching party with black churches in flames and night riders terroizing the populace, then they have absolutely nothing to say, no relevance whatever and no claim to political power.

So they cling to the myth of an America, and particularly a South, which hasn't existed for 40 years. Justifying yourself with a lie is better, apparently, than declaring victory and moving on.

4. Owen Gohl

Owen Gohl Member

Jun 21, 2000
    Some of the Democrats seem to believe that it's still the South of 140 years ago. For example, Carole Simpson of ABC recently was squawking that many of the red states once were slave states.

I can remember when Mississippi State turned down a bid to the NCAA basketball tournament because they would have had to face teams that had black players. Today the MSU football coach is black, but don't tell Carole Simpson.

So many of the liberals cannot comprehend that the world keeps changing, which may be the biggest reason they keep losing.

5. StingRay37

StingRay37 Member

Dec 4, 2000
    North Carolina
    The thing that gets me is this left-wing idea that "These red-state Christian rednecks who vote according to their 'morals' are so stupid because they don't understand that they are voting against their best interests."

Who do these self-absorbed arrogant leftists think they are that they can tell other people what their "best interests" should be. Did you ever think that maybe some people believe that having some sort of moral values is in their best interest? Of course not, how can anyone think there is somthing more important than money and self-gratification!!

But they know better than everyone, especially the troops. Those guys are so dumb, they voted 4-1 against their best interests!