Polar shift at the end of the Mayan Cycle (21/12/12)

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by musicl, Jul 21, 2007.

1. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
  2. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    I've seen a couple of documentaries on this. It looks like a hybrid of astrology, numerology and calendar studies. So yeah, for most people it's going to look like rubbish. Think Y2K with crystals rather than pocket protectors.

Looking a bit further, though, the Mayans' knowledge of celestial cycles and how to organize time by them is the deepest of any civilization to inhabit this planet, and is quite remarkable. Anthropolgists are not only trying to decipher what they wrote, but they're playing catch-up on the knowledge base itself.

3. SoccerPro843

SoccerPro843 Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Austin, Tx
    I was just at the Mayan ruins of Tulum the other day, and it's really impressive. Makes you wonder how much the ancients really knew that we're just re-learning. I think it's cool how they invented the concept of zero, and binary, years before the Europeans.

4. Dadinho

Dadinho Member

Feb 19, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet they never came up with the wheel. Amazing.

5. SoccerPro843

SoccerPro843 Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Austin, Tx
    Fair enough, but they still had a road system equal to the Romans.

6. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon now - Y2K was a real, technical problem. The fact that the media went bonkers doesn't change the fact that 2-digit year storage would break on 1/1/2000.

Yeah, but predicting a pole flip? The last one happened pre-human. There is absolutely, positively no way they could predict something like that thousands of years in advance. No way.

I'm not even touching the insane "pole flip leads to Stargate-style ascension" theory.

7. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Besides, it does not make sense to say the pole shift will happen on a day. It is an extened event taking many years. People alive during such a shift will actually spend quite a while on an earth with no magnetic field at all before a new field going the other direction is generated. And going by the current rate of decay, it seems that the next geomagnetic reversal won't happen until about 3000-4000 CE (although these things are highly variable). So don't throw away those magnetic compasses just yet.

8. SoccerPro843

SoccerPro843 Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Austin, Tx
    Apparently it was first recognized about 2004, but I don't know enough about the subject to say whether or not eight years is enough time for it to happen.

9. Dadinho

Dadinho Member

Feb 19, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are right, but you are using pole shift and geomagnetic reversal interchangeably, which they are not. :)

The "author" of the article confuses this too. He references that the the last pole shift was 780,000 years ago, but that was actually the last geomagnetic reversal.

According to wikipedia, the last pole shift was 800 million years ago and was 50 degrees. Quite a bit short of the 120 purported in the article. But my understanding is that a 50 degree shift is controversial.

10. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From context, I think we all understood "pole shift" in the linked article to mean "geomagnetic reversal".

11. Katie!

Katie! New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Baton Rouge, LA
  12. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    After reading the whole thing, I still can't see any correlation between the Maya calender, the polar shift and some Venus alignment...that's just some random stuff, two of which happen to overlap in the year 2012...

13. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Its just that the two things line up. The Mayans predicted change would come in 2012 and there may be evidence for a polar shift approaching.

As far as i know the Mayans believed the earth would have 5 ages and then the age of enlightenment would begin. We are in the 5th age and it is due to end 2012.

The fourth age ended with the great flood recorded in many cultures. The first three ages were very different to the 4th and 5th age. Its kinda like the repeating theory.

Though im not an expert on the topic and i may have just told you a load of crap. And i dont see how a polar shift would mean the entering of a enlightened age.

14. Liv'poolFaninAZ

Liv'poolFaninAZ New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Glendale, Arizona
    Out of everything that I've ever read or heard about, this is the only thing that really scares me! I don't know why but it does. This whole idea of a polar shift that would bring about a climate shift would kill at least half of the earth's population, and the other half wouldn't have that long to live after.

Who's going to make the BEER?:(

15. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Read about Peak Oil. You won't sleep well for a year.

16. Liv'poolFaninAZ

Oct 24, 2004
    Glendale, Arizona

Great! just what I need. More neurosis! I have to admit though, I read some on Peak Oil, but I'm STILL more worried about the whole polar shift thing. It looks like I'm gonna have to move my family to Costa Rica and just wait thing out.

17. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Mayans actually used 3 calenders. One was a more religious based calender, based upon the orbit of Venus, around 280 days, they also had a calender based upon the standard earth year (which is more accurate than the one used today), and also a third calender that simply counted the number of years that have passed in time, starting at like 4100 BCE IIRC.

18. Liv'poolFaninAZ

Oct 24, 2004
    Glendale, Arizona
    Uh-Oh! This column says polar shift will happen 09/08/2007!!

http://www.truthaboutax.com/site/1515517/page/655391

GREAT! I finally get the first pick in my Fantasy football league and my team is loaded, now I gotta deal with a polar shift before the season gets underway!:mad:

19. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A column by Austin Chronicle writer Michael Ventura which touches on this topic:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Issue/column?oid=oid:431073

Some civilizations leave something behind to spook the future. The Mayans left prophecies and a calendar. If by some good fortune (which I'm about to ruin) you haven't heard, the Mayan calendar ends on Dec. 21, 2012 – the winter solstice, no less. According to Mayans, after 2012 there's zilch. No more history-as-we-know-it. Well, Dec. 21, 2012, is just six years from today (Thursday). I don't worry about what I can't influence, but for anyone who does, the Mayan calendar is something to bite your lip about. Mayans were crackerjack astronomers. They invented the zero before anyone else, which, as usual, did their civilization no good in the long run. Centuries before Copernicus, the Mayans could predict eclipses, so they knew that the solar system revolves, and who knows what else they knew? According to the Encyclopaedia Britannica, six years from now the Mayans thought that "the present world ... is doomed to end in cataclysm ... of a markedly direful character."

hmmm.

Some think 2012 will bring "the return of universal telepathy, a self-reflexive consciousness [you mean we're not self-reflexive enough?!] ... a return to the sacred domain of inner technology." That and more (if you can stand it) can be read on www.13moon.com, one site among many. Some intelligent gents and gals of my acquaintance believe a more seemly version of the above, to the effect that after 2012, humanity will finally, slowly or swiftly, blossom into its full potential, if such a thing exists. It would be cantankerous not to root for their point of view, though history argues for a darker prospect. Still, one truly marvelous trait of our species is that we never give up, not about the big things. We dream, and we act upon our dreams. Which often, in the process of causing more trouble, also creates great beauty. They go hand in hand, beauty and trouble, always. Beauty and trouble are the building blocks of civilizations. So no need to tell us, "Dream on"; we can't help dreaming on, punch-drunk or not, and there's something lovable (if not particularly successful) about that.

But back to that Mayan calendar. My reference books don't note whence comes the phrase, "a fly in the ointment," but it's a useful image: a pesky bug stuck in undefined goo. A bug in the Mayans' goo is inadvertently hinted at on www.13moon.com: Mayan "messengers" deposited their "calling card" upon "a series of super-sized stone monuments and pyramids" on which their celestial prophecies got writ. The Brits demurely note that "the amount of labor involved [in the construction of those pyramids] would have been enormous and so would have the social controls necessary to see the job through to its completion." For "social controls" read "slavery." Slobs like you and me don't schlep and sweat to build pyramids unless someone threatens to kill us. So one must wonder why hip people, who seek release from the slavish ways of our present empire, find solace in ancient prophecies of a slave empire. Aristocracies lie, and concoct systems of lies, to control the likes of us. They do it now and did it then. How Mayan beliefs served to control the common Mayan Jane and Joe, we don't much know. But beliefs carved in stone, even lovely beliefs, don't often originate or conclude in peace and harmony.

21. osho420k

osho420k Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Germantown, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    yea peak oil def. crazy and makes you thnik what will happen.... as far as 2012... might be the end of the age of pisces..and start of the age of aquarius

22. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Mayan celestial calendar to this day does not need to be adjusted for "leap years" and the like. They factored that in way back when and their math is still spot on.

Regarding the Winter Solstice being 12.21.2007; it was centuries past on 12.25.0000. This is due to the wobble of the Earth on its tilt as it orbits our Sun. The fact that the Mayan may have factored this eb and flow in speaks to their knowledge.
    Kinda like the Egyptians that had due North spot on and constructed their works accordingly. Even today what scientists define as North is off by a degree as the cosmos go. The pyramids of Giza speak to the Egyptians accuracy as they point to the true due North even to this day!

The Mayans did believe that man's time on Earth was in a cycle. This is in line with the Native people from the Americas as many believed that "we are on this big wheel" so to speak. Once the one wheel of time had run its full circle it clicked an joining wheel that began a new era. Thus, what we are hearing of concerning 12.21.212 is the cosmic wheel they believed in centuries ago is about to run full circle....the catch here for us modern folk is that there is no new joining wheel to begin a new era. To the Mayans, they saw a day when their cosmic calculations and clock quit literally ran out!

These are the people that invented the ZERO...i.e. the concept of a digit with value (0) but without value at the same time. Thus, they were no dummies on a math level so take from what you read and hear about their Calendar with perspective.
    Not Mayan but relative here in that the ancient Sumerians who pre dated the Egyptians by at the least 1,000 years knew of the outer planets in our solar system. They knew of Pluto before our recent sky lookers "discovered" Pluto in the first part of the 20th century. Indeed, modern science did take its time in re-learning what was known by ancient scientists some 4,000 years ago!

23. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [youtube]EJ7mEff3_Nk[/youtube]

24. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    assuming the date is US mm/dd/yyyy, you do realise that was the day when it was seriously asked if England would be better with Emile Heskey in the team rather than Wayne Rooney? Now that is a shift of polar proportions.

25. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American men with money, that never cared for soccer growing up, now own the most successful English Football Club.
    Iraq won the Asian Cup under extreme conditions and for the first time ever to a Final of any sorts but the people celebrate with continued killings of their own Iraqi people.
    Beckham and Posh carry the banner for the beautiful game in the U.S. and then, as you point out, Heskey to the rescue.

I'd say a few things stand out as far as things outta wack that could be flipped on their ass to get it right again.

American men owned the most successful U.S. Futbol Club, Iraq lost every game but their people celebrated together, Beckham and Posh were just identified for who they are in the U.S. spotlight and Heskey was left of the 3 Lions in favor of Roon.