Please Welcome The New California Governor [R]

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Topper, Oct 8, 2003.

1. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I know he can't run for prez, just throwing a wet blanket on the fools who keep saying how bad it is that Cali voted an actor as governor.

The big problem is that many people only listen to what the candidates say in an election year and vote based on that. It's like when Clinton made people believe that his election turned an economy of 250 million people around in less then a year. Or that Bush killed the economy in 2001, not that it had anything to do with 9/11! And sadly this goes on both ways, my fiance told me the other night that her political beliefs are changing because she watches the national news now and has political discussions because we now live together and I do. It's too bad that more people don't hear a Bush, Clinton, Reagan, Rush, Moore and go do some research before forming an opinion. This would make a huge difference in our country.

2. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who believes Arnold is qualified to govern ought to take a moment and listen to his voice-over commentary on the Conan the Barbarian DVD.

3. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Isn't this paper still lamenting child labor laws as 'government infringment on industry'? They endorsed Bob @#$%ing Dornan. Often.

But I understand your frustration with the GOP over McClintock. I also wish they'd nominate more folks like him: a conservative's conservative. Hell, if he was more socially libertine, and his method of righting the fiscal ship was gutting pork instead of social services, I might have voted for him.

4. Eric Bekins

Eric Bekins New Member

Apr 11, 1999
    WVC, UT
    99.4% of the precincts reporting;

Votes for Arnold - 3,639,302

Votes for Davis (No on Recall) - 3,514,348
    Votes for Davis in Nov 2002 - 3,469,025
    Votes for Davis in Nov 1998 - 4,860,702

So Davis had more support in the recall than he did last year, but Arnold still got more votes than him. Doesn't look like any perversion of democracy to me. And Davis also lost over 1.3 million voters since 1998 too.

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US shouldn't be an international laughing stock, it should just be California, who also happens to be an interstate laughing stock...and that's saying a lot, I live in Alabama.

6. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Okay, I can read a scoreboard as well as the next guy. We're stuck with Gauleiter Schwarzenegger. Wunderbar.

But by Gray Davis standards, though, it wasn't a landslide. His unfavorables were something like 75%. The recall was up 65-35 last week, after all.
    That would have been a landslide.

Bustamante is done with politics, probably...but the Democrats have other people who can step up. He won't be missed. Meanwhile, your side is talking about running Dennis Miller for Senate.

I'm going to go fondle some breasts now, and claim I'm running for governor.

7. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    This is such a misleading and utterly annoying claim. How many Europeans have traveled outside of Europe? What you're really saying is that you're more impressed with the guy who goes from Paris to Brussels than someone who travels from New York to San Diego. Well, goodie for you, but that's just f-ing insane.

8. Dan Loney

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Funny. This reminds me of another Austrian who rode corporate interests into a position of power. I believe that guy ended up destroying his nation and starting WWII, guess a Nazi can do the job!

9. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

The Orange County Register is

NOT

a liberal newspaper.

It IS, however, quite conservative, reflecting the locals who, incidentally, live in the most conservative county in Kalifornia.

Most chimps east of the Colorado River know this.

:rolleyes:

Topper

:D

10. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let the cachinnation commence!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

(wheezes, exhausted)

11. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    From grasping straws to grasping strumpets? Dan, I'm no crazier about Gov. Haider than you are (except for a modicum of DNC Schadenfreude), but this was a woodshed ass-whooping. These numbers are close to the Reagan-Mondale popular vote. The Democrats reaped what they sowed. The moral of the story is: If you pander to business like a Republican, and gut social services like a Republican, and take campaign money to pimp legislation like a Republican, and then turn around and lie about it like a Republican, you're going to get your ass handed to you on a paper plate in California like a Republican.

12. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Well...maybe. It's turned California into an international laughing stock.

I'm very troubled by this election. Not because a Republican won, but because it demonstrates how superficial Californians are, and perhaps Americans as a whole. When I think of the greatest Americans in history I have to wonder if any of them could have won this election.

13. Metros#1

Metros#1 New Member

May 14, 2001
    NJ
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Please Welcome The New California Governor [R]

Well, you are the one who pleaded lack of understanding on why small business went for GOP. What 's your assessment then? :)

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We should save all these quotes from people. Here is my prediction. Someday McClintock is going to run for president, and all the liberals who spoke highly of him, including the L.A. Times, are going to try to demonize him.

15. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Please Welcome The New California Governor [R]

Foosh, you are just as independent as Karl Keller. :)

16. Topper

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a nightmare it is to be in Loney's mind right now.

Tell me Dan, isn't this all a mirage, and what really happened is that Davis resigned the governorship, leaving Bustamecha in charge, just like you promised?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Why don't you put on some of your Streisand CDs and just whistle while those wascally wepublicans prepare to route the liberal legislature after GOVERNOR ARNOLD and his lovely Kennedy wife explain to the voters that he can't do crap as long as the Dems control the Assembly and Senate.

The first recall in CA history, and it happened to a liberal girly-man Democrat.

As for the groping crap, you sure didn't mind it when groping rapist Clinton was in charge did you? Ahnold probably groped a few women, but Davis groped the entire state of Caleeforneeia, baby, and now that weasel just got called to the carpet by the majority of voters, and the same voting majority gave the governorship to a charismatic Republican.

Can you hear it? It's the giant sucking sound of Democratic appointees losing their jobs in Sacramento!!!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Topper

:D :D

PS : Suck it, Trebeck.

17. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    It shouldn't remind you of Reagan. Reagan happened to be an actor, but had well-known political views and a solid base of people who supported him for ideological reasons. Arnold's victory couldn't possibly be more different.

18. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    I've just got two words for you european sophisticates:

Prince Charles

The rest of the european aristocracy is in hollywood looking for someone with money who wants a title

19. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAHAHAHA...HA...HA...HA...hmmmm.

Shit...that's a damn insightful point.

With Ah-nuld at the center of the (at least the Californian) zeitgeist, I don't think any of the founders, nor any of the dissidents (i.e. MLK, etc.) could have beaten him.

Its all about "Who gives a fuck? Let's vote for Ah-nuld; this thing (i.e. our voting freedom) is a joke anyway, who cares? It'll be FUNNY..."

It certainly is; California's become one realer-than-real reality television show...

Except that without even watching, we can identify the ultimate losers of this "program"...

20. Metros#1

Metros#1 New Member

May 14, 2001
    NJ
    1. Your own breasts don’t count.
    2. Imitation is actually a pathetic form of flattery.

Sorry. Couldn’t help it... Then again, a Galaxy fan deserves to be made fun of.

21. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Nice! How old are you??? I compare an actor becoming governor of Cali to another one and you pull that out of your ass. You along with that other fool in Scotland are a sad, sad, little man!

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I get the Register as well as the L.A. Times. My assesment is that the L.A.Times is a superior newspaper when it comes to their resources and general coverage as far as variety of news, features, entertainment, sports and so on. But often they go too far with their radical leftist ideology (as we saw last week) and I like to read the Register to help me keep perspective. (I am sort of a news junkie).

I would characterize the Register's editorial views more as Libertarian than democrat or republican. In their editorial pages they criticize both parties. They are more likely to get on Bush for his spending than for his tax cuts.

They strongly endorsed the recall, but I don't remember them endorsing a candidate in the second part. (I may be wrong on this. I read so many opinions from so many sources on the internet that I may have lost track of their endorsement if indeed they did endorse somebody.)

They also came out strongly against the war in Iraq. Maybe that is why some people like Bill O'Reily think they are liberal.

But I think overall they do a better job than the Times of keeping their opinions where they belong, in the editorial pages.

23. Dan Loney

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I realize you're still hung over on Bavarian beer after heiling the new Gauleiter, but you've just broadcast "I am the most deluded right winger since Tab Ramos skull was cracked open in 1994" to everyone with an internet connection.

24. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Yep, Loney's the first one who thought of that one :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

And how old are you?

25. Topper

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Please Welcome The New California Governor [R]

Look folks, it's really easy to understand why Dems don't give a flying fook about small business or *any* business for that matter.

I'm a business owner. I employ 15 people. That's 15 people that the Dems want to convince that it's ME against MY EMPLOYEES, and without the Dems to give them all the nifty freebies, MY EMPLOYEES would be subject to my virtual enslavement.

Now, if you were a political party, wouldn't you rather appeal to the 15 employees, instead of the 1, evil, greedy capitalist? It's a numbers game, pure and simple.

Hell, it worked for the Soviet Union, didn't it? They kept that party going for quite a while, thanks to not having the recall option. And France is a paradise where unemployment isn't high, right? You see, the Dems can guarantee you just about anything except for a job.

Thankfully, most Americans have a healthy distrust of Government Knows Best, with the exception of fat slobs like Michael Moore, or buck-toothed kooks like Al Franken.

Enjoy Judgement Day 2003,

Topper

:D :D

PS: Suck it, Trebeck.