Please Dump These Players...

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Richter Boy, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Richter Boy

Richter Boy New Member

Mar 1, 2000
    Soulard, STL
    Lets clean up this trash dump called the Quakes Organization. We can start by cutting the following players:
    Zak Ibsen
    Troy Dayak
    Eddie Robinson
    Scot Bower
    Joe Cannon
    Ramiro Corrales
    Manny Lagos
    Lucky Gonzales (Lucky to even be in the MLS)
    Landon Donovan
    Ronnie Ekelund.

This team as it is sucks butt.

2. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    At least Roner stays. Cut Barclay too

3. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see the Little Old Winemaker has fallen into the vat again.

4. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I like this list. But let us keep the Great Dane. And how could you have forgotten Ian Russell?

5. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I'm thinking just the opposite. Last year a lot of people thought Agoos was the defensive anchor. But after this year, maybe it's Dayak that really is the glue. We used to never give up late goals. Now with Dayak being out for the latter part of the season, we seem to be letting 'em in like flies in a hoghouse.

Let's get Dayak back and healthy!

6. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cut:
    Ibsen
    Dayak
    Bower
    Lagos :(
    maybe Robinson and DeRosario
    add Russell for sure
    and I think Agoos is done.

Keep the rest and give more $$ (yea right) to:
    Barrett
    Mulrooney
    Corrales

7. brichter

brichter New Member

Aug 14, 2002
    NorCal
    Sure, they'll play real well short. What are you gonna do about putting players on the field? And what's the story behind the comment about the little old winemaker?

8. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    On a serious note, watching the Quakes in their last 5-6 games this season I noticed a couple of players that were much weaker links this year than they were last year. Namely:

Manny Lagos and Ian Russell.

Manny still has talent, but I think he is definitely becoming less of an impact player than he once was. Ideally he would be good enough to keep around for off the bench work next season if you could have him in that role at the right price.

Ian Russell is fast, but he hasn't shown any consistent development in skill to warrant his continued spot. I think there are a number of speedy wingers with equal speed that you could pick up with much better passing and creativity skills. I thought that last season he developed into a serviceable player who managed to play above his true worth. This season he came back down to earth. Two players who play similar roles for Dallas are Chivas Martinez and Ronnie O'Brien. Both of those players are not only fast on the wing, but they provide some serious passing, dribbling and shooting skills that far surpass Russell. In fact I would say that Zach Kingsley, Colorado's A-League rookie had a much better season than did Russell.

By contrast, I thought Ramiro Corrales had a standout season this year as opposed to last year. His play this season and the position he plays warrants another look next season.

Barrett, Mulrooney and Robinson are very solid players and definitely keepers.

Dayak and Goose are vets that would be nice to hold on to if you could do it at a reasonable price.

Devin Barclay is a better prospect than his minutes allow him to show. Working him into a role player mold ala Russell might pan out.

Ekelund fills his role well, but relying on him given his age is gambling a bit. Despite his reluctance to play the position Donovan has and has always had attacking midfielder written all over him. Although he is still a talented striker, his main asset has always been his vision and anticipation on the pass.
    His only shortcoming in this department is that he is often too far ahead of many players thinking wise and often makes passes where the runs should have been made. If he can overcome his forward-mentality of watching and waiting around for opportunities and take on the active creation role, he will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine. :p

Basically if you can find a talented wide midfield player who brings creativity and danger on the attack, get Donovan playing behind a decent forward tandem, and put some new faces in the back I think you might be back on top. You had a season where you basically reheated last years group and the shortcomings that were always there last season finally showed up. Robinson was the single great new find of the season. It's definitely time for some new blood.

9. Ramiros_Soccer_Chica

Jun 10, 2001
    Nor-Cal
    That is so idiotic of you to post. They got this far. You are just bitter because they couldn't bring home the cup. Guess what..oh well, be happy.

If we are cutting all these people why don't we just cut the team. Or put it back to a A leauge or whatever.

TRANSFORM
    MARI

10. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Exactely..
    Cut ERob, Dayak, DeRo, Lagos, and Russell.. and replace them with who!?
    Oh, didn't think of that one did you?

That seriously disgusts me..
    What reason do you have to cut ERob, Dayak, and DeRo?

11. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused: Huh?

Who is "you" in the last two posts?

12. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Your post is so idiotic because you've let your "love" for certain players blind you to the fact that for the team to remain competitive (and in fact remain in existance) changes do need to be made.

13. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Changes, yes.
    Cutting 13 players, no.

MINOR changes need to be made.

14. Ramiros_Soccer_Chica

Jun 10, 2001
    Nor-Cal
    Dude, What's love got to do, got to do with it? Oh no I've developed a studder. In all seriousness, no I didn't. I honestly don't "love" any of the players. I do agree with Richter Boy on some of the choices. But 13 people, that is more then half and not possible. I won't say who I think should be cut, but c'mon he didn't even give good reasoning behind it all. You need to have a motive.

TRANSFORM
    MARI

15. Ramiros_Soccer_Chica

Jun 10, 2001
    Nor-Cal
    when I was refering to "you" i was speaking about Richter Boy.

TRANSFORM
    MARI

16. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's both of them working together; they're the anchors.

17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I have to agree with RSC here. If it hadn't been for illnesses, injuries and WC absences that led to the revolving door lineups, we would have had the solidest team in MLS. Compare that to last year where the same guys were the starters week-in and week-out. Even though we didn't get through the playoffs, and with all the mix-around, Yallop's guys were on top almost the entire season. The last weeks were the accumulation of fatigue and what could have been better chemistry and cohesion if they were together all the time. Still the second best season for the San Jose franchise. :p

18. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RB used to be in the winemaking business in the North of France not far from the Belgian border. That's where he first met Yves, and was overawed with his divinity. Problem was that the business went bankrupt because he drank up all the profits. ;)

19. Ramiros_Soccer_Chica

Jun 10, 2001
    Nor-Cal
    Amen. Dude, I didn't even mention all the illnesses and stuff I second what you said.

TRANSFORM
    MARI

20. LucciAficionado

LucciAficionado New Member

May 5, 2002
    Hayward
    I won't say specific names but:

5: combination of defender(s), midfeilder(s), and forward(s) that are way to important to trade.

4: total number of people that can be considered for trade.

3: benchers need to stay. I won't say which 3 but this is the list to choose from: (Gonzalez, Barclay, Roner, Jon).

2: players in mind need to retire (take your guesses).

1:number of Landons that needs to get his feet out of the air and back on the turf.

0 : percentage of happiness I will be if Joe leaves.

Yes, I know, the total isn't the number of players actually on the team. But the others in my opinion are up in the air.

Proccess of elimination
    Broccoli
    Dolores

21. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Roner stays.

How bout this for an idea?

KEEP THE TEAM TOGETHER.

Maybe ship off Russell / Lagos / Barclay for Ralston..

Maybe add some depth..

Our Starting 11 should look like this next season:

CANNON
    BARRETT-AGOOS-DAYAK-CONRAD
    CORRALES-MULROONEY-EKELUND-RALSTON
    DEROSARIO-GRAZIANI

22. LucciAficionado

May 5, 2002
    Hayward
    If this in referance to mine... yes.. he is one of the 4 benchers I want to stay/are good enough to stay/ can be great in the future.

Broccoli
    Dolores

23. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Then obviously Barclay is gone..

Oh no you didn't :(

24. LucciAficionado

May 5, 2002
    Hayward
    right!!! 1 million dollars to you!

Didn't what? If its the color thing don't worry i'll stop.

Broccoli
    Dolores

25. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Please dont even try :(.. Biter.