Please BAN the 'fan horns'

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by jd6885, Mar 20, 2009.

1. PassionOfTheFoot

Feb 12, 2002
    Incheon, South Korea
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you ever been in front of someone with a horn? In my opinion, hearing the sound of a cow getting molested* over and over is not enjoyable...Or perhaps this is just me.

Can any of the people posting here honestly say they have been in front of some jackass blowing their horn in your ear all game and weren't bothered?

*pure speculation. I have not, nor do I ever intend to know the sound a cow makes while being molested.

2. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wonder why you didn't turn around and ask the guy, politely, to aim the thing up in the air or something and not right in your ear?

3. Troy G

Troy G New Member

Apr 18, 2008
    WMATA
    Club:
    DC United

Because that would have made sense and been far too easy. Besides if he had, he wouldn't be able to whine on this thread.

4. PassionOfTheFoot

Feb 12, 2002
    Incheon, South Korea
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, silly me for expressing my opinion of fan horns in a thread titled "please ban the fan horns." I need lots of cheese with my whine. I need to open up a whine factory. I'm wasted from all of the whine I have had.

Run along now troll, go on, scurry!

5. Pint of Lager

Pint of Lager New Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Pohjoiskaarre
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    Both fans have paid for their tickets so they're even at that, only one has paid for the horn. So the one annoyed by the horn could do one of two things: a) confiscate the horn for the duration of the match and then give it back b) break the horn and pay the guy the $5 (or whatever) it was worth. Now they're even moneywise, AND the horn is silenced. Mission accomplished.

6. PassionOfTheFoot

Feb 12, 2002
    Incheon, South Korea
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Obviously I did on both occasions. The first time there were two unsupervised Mexican children who were laying on the horn something fierce. When asked to stop, they laughed and carried on. Luckily there were some empty seats near us.

The second time this guy kept getting really excited and constantly blew it in my ear. I asked him to "please stop blowing it in my ear" on 3 different occasions. All 3 times he apologized and would blow it above my head for about 15 minutes, but when he got really excited would blow it in my ear (inadvertently.)

I wasn't in front of anyone with a horn at the Sounders game, but saw a few fans just getting blown out of their seat. You could tell they were unhappy. Felt bad for them, I could tell it was ruining their experience. And who's to say they hadn't told the people to stop blowing it in their ear as well? Drunk people don't listen to well...

7. DaminadaPt2

DaminadaPt2 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    lol, yes, we are talking about fans bringing priceless horns to the game! If a fan is bringing something like that, then chances are they sound pretty damn good. I'm fine with that.. I'm talking about the fan with the 5 dollar horn who bring a shower of spit a long with all the noise.

8. Pint of Lager

Pint of Lager New Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Pohjoiskaarre
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    You asked for the difference, and as you can see there is a difference in the amount of money lost as long as the value of the instrument broken is greater than zero.

9. DaminadaPt2

DaminadaPt2 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I see, so what you are basically saying then is that a 5 dollar horn is more valuable then my 35 dollar ticket to the game? Or better yet, the 20 to 30 fans in front of the horn that choose to move if they can, leave the game early without buying an extra beer, or just get fed up and cancel their season tickets like I did? It's all so clear to me now, those 5 dollar horns must be the key to MLS success!!!!

10. Pint of Lager

Pint of Lager New Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Pohjoiskaarre
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    I gather from your post you think I'm pro-horns? Quite the opposite. Still I do see a difference in the scenario you first presented.

Fan A's losses: 35 dollar ticket (horn ruined game)

Fan B's losses: 35 dollar ticket (having his horn broken ruined game), 5 dollar horn

See? Difference.

Now assuming the horn ruins the game experience for many others the difference changes so that the horn guy has caused more losses than suffered himself. This was not the scenario you presented in your first post so I didn't take it into consideration in my previous answers, even though it is more likely in reality.

11. Artesian

Artesian New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    The Evergreen State
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of you need to just go blow. Your horn. :eek:

12. mrecint

mrecint New Member

May 31, 2006
    Fishers, IN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, I'm not a fan of the horns. Fans should use the natural voice to cheer/sing. On ESPN I'd hear the sweet chants, then hear the occasional horn and just thought of Home Depot and Chivas... cheesy

13. Collander

Collander New Member

Aug 13, 2007

Yes I have had people constantly blowing the horns and using other assorted noise makers around me. I take it as a challenge to be louder, and bring one to the next match to fight back.

I'm glad you mentioned the speculation, cows were starting to panic...:p

14. campale

campale New Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Beacon Hill
    It seemed to be much worse last night! After halftime, it seems that every dad in my section bought horns for his kids. The only thing I heard for the second half was the constant HRRRR HRRRR HRRRRRRRR. Please stop selling them!!!!

I have sent an email to the Sounders asking them to ban, or at least stop selling them. I encourage you to do the same!

15. Kevy Metal

Kevy Metal New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only people I saw with these horns were young boys. It seems parents buy them for their kids to keep them from getting bored during the match. Seated in front of me at last night's match was a couple with three boys. Two of the boys had the horns. They were blowing them at will and seemed to be having a contest who could blow the hardest, longest or make the most interesting sounds. At one point the mother had to tell them to stop because it was annoying the people around them.

When walking out of the stadium the walkway was filled with the sound of the horns. This is the worst place to deal with the horns because the walkway is enclosed and the sound resonates throughout the whole ramped corridor. And again it was young boys blowing them.

During the match it is a mild annoyance, as long as nobody is blowing one in my ears or face. In the concourse and corridors though it is a major annoyance, and thankfully one I have to endure for only a minute or two.

16. gregro

gregro New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I love the way the horns sound from a distance. Not sure I would want one in my ear though.

I am with GS ban threads that say "Ban" anything.

17. Wazzu Gunner

Wazzu Gunner Member

Mar 21, 2008
    Ballard, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahaha I had the exact same experience in section 144. First half a couple kids had them, second half 30 different drunk 21 year olds had them.

18. JoeHalfRack

JoeHalfRack New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Seattle - Cap Hill
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy crap.... to the drunk guy in the beer line with the horn: Your simultaneously so awesome and so incredibly irritating. I would love to watch you in 30 sec. clips on youtube, your'e hilarious... for half a minute. Standing behind me trying to order a beer through your horn via my ear is not okay. Stop selling the horns, save it for Ed McMahon's new league, the XLS

19. DoTheVillage

DoTheVillage New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    I say ban the NIMBY'S who always want to ban everything in Seattle.

How about the Sounders get some jackets for the ushers WITHOUT Seahawks logos on them?

20. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra
    The one note horns do nothing for the atmosphere.
    In fact, they kill it for the TV viewers.

I don't like banning anything, but those things are the anti-atmosphere.

21. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The FO should stop selling the horns. People will eventually stop bringing the ones they already own when they see no one else in the stadium has any.

22. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
  23. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are about the cheapest thing that is sold at the souvenir stands. Parents buy them for their kids to get them to stop whining. Are they annoying? You bet your ass, but who's to say it's any more annoying than having people stand in front of you the whole game waving a 10' X 10' flag or screaming obsenities at the ref and opposing players?

24. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please BAN the 'fan kids'. A real soccer dad should feed his kid beer, teach him swear words, and make sure he always goes in studs up.

Anyways, if the horns are banned, people will just find ways around it. My dad used to fashion such illicit stand-ins out of zucchini stalks. The good thing about these is that if the polizia come after you, you can just eat it or toss it in someone's yard waste bin.

On a more serious "note": the horns are annoying. If the kids need something to sit still, then they should sell Ritalin instead of horns. Or maybe teach the kids some breathing exercises (no, not by giving them a horn).

25. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha! I'd have traded a horn for the guy who kept yelling at Rimando saying he was a f*ckin p*ssy and a c*cksucker. My 70 year old mother wasn't impressed.