Please BAN the 'fan horns'

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by jd6885, Mar 20, 2009.

1. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to gregro again."

Seriously, in a crowd of 34,000 people there is room for all kinds of fans. What if a group of fans got together and decided that large flags should be "banned" or chants or standing during matches?

If a guy is blowing a horn all night in your ear and you find it annoying, turn around and ask the guy to lay off some. I had my son blow up into the air, way above the heads of the guys in front of him and warned him not to annoy other people. But he enjoyed doing it. He used it like a louder version of a "boo" when the ref made some questionable calls.

And I'm with Greg. You have no right to destroy someone else's property. If you did that to my son's horn I can guarantee you we would have a problem.

So stay cool folks. That first game was such a great, great time. Let's enjoy it and remember the good stuff. A few horns didn't kill anyone. The big flags blocked a few views but didn't kill anyone. The band needs to learn when to play and not play, but it didn't kill anyone.

There is enough room for all kinds of celebrations in our 34,000-person party. Here's hoping it only gets better.

2. tagosti

tagosti Member

Aug 15, 2000
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Two season here tickets agree. Please someone bring this up at one of those team council meetings. We at least need a referendum - I'm betting 80% would vote to ban them.

3. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True.

4. sutebia

sutebia New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Ban them and ******** the ppl in 240 doing the wave... with 6min left.... give it up... but i think that a stadia fulled with 70% football fans and 30% Familys is ok for now, but if i go to a game in 3 years with a band playing during the game and kids saying "Kick it sounders" than football is not for america

5. Troy G

Troy G New Member

Apr 18, 2008
    WMATA
    Club:
    DC United
    The only thing worse than fan horns are thunder sticks. :mad:

6. DaminadaPt2

DaminadaPt2 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The difference is the flag folks are usually the supporter groups.. you know where they sit and you can make sure your tickets are away from them. You never know when you are going to have a horn blower in your section. And a flag effects a few folks, a ignorant fan with a horn can blast out an entire section.

How about this, how about you sit a row down in front of your son and see how long it takes before you take the horn and beat the sheit out of your son with it? Pointing it up in the air or not, you will hate him.

There would be a problem, it would be you getting your arse kicked by an entire section. At a Rapids game I watch a guy get his horn taken from him, then hit upside the head with it. The entire section cheered and it got ugly. Stop thinking you have a right to screw over the masses ability to enjoy the game.. at some point they will turn on you.

There are all kinds of celebrations but when you have one that stands out as detracting from the game rather than adding to it.. then you have a problem. Those horns take away from the game and should be banned period. I can't imagine what would happen to somebody who brought one of those to a NFL game or a premiership game where people are really getting tanked and crazy, I'm sure they would never make it out of the stadium alive.

7. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am pretty sure that you can't drink beer in your seats at English stadiums, and most English don't leave their seats to buy nachos and hot dogs from the concession stands. So, any drunkenness in the stadium is likely from prior to the game, which means it will wear off as the game goes on. Also, they can't stand up in England. And there are family sections at most stadiums. Just wanted to debunk the idea of tanked and crazy English soccer fans inside the stadium. In the bars watching the game on TV, that's probably a different story. American soccer fans have much more opportunity to be tanked and crazy inside the stadium, not that I am necessarily advocating that. :)

I don't think they have fog horns in English stadiums, though.

8. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not really sure who you are or why you found it necessary to come on here and make threats against me or my son. But I would suggest that people who want to commit violence against their fellow soccer fans are a much bigger problem then a bunch of 12-year-olds blowing on a horn.

Perhaps if your attitude is reflected by the majority of "fans" in Colorado it would explain why the stands are hardly ever more than half full. Who wants to sit next to a guy with violence issues?

9. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OH don't get me started on those. I mean seriously folks, you could just clap. I always seem to get hit in the head with those damn things. But luckily I didn't see any at the game.

10. Troy G

Troy G New Member

Apr 18, 2008
    WMATA
    Club:
    DC United
    They handed them out for free last year at RFK. We almost had a fit. We sing, we chant, we jump. We do not thunder stick.

11. DaminadaPt2

DaminadaPt2 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'm not threatening you, just telling you how it is. You feel like you have the right to let your 12 year old son do whatever he wants.. I'm telling you that at some point somebody is going to call you on it and your son is going to watch his dad get his arse kicked. If that is what you want your son to see then go right ahead and have a field day.

As to the stands being half full at Colorado, you have to understand the stadium. The camera points towards the smaller end of the stadium that is also where the sun hits the most. The sun bakes those stands so most people will try to move into the shade or the other side. You don't ever get to see the crowd on tv. That, and we suck year in and year out so people get over it. :)

12. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, I'm not sure what you are getting at here. I just went to a game Thursday and my son blew his horn a few times. I made sure he was respectful and didn't blow it in anyone's ear. The people sitting around us didn't complain, but if they did I would have made him cut back.

There was no problem. There was no "calling" anyone on anything. There was no fight. I can't imagine why there ever would be. If someone has a problem all they have to do is talk it out. The guys sitting a couple seats over from me were dropping the F-bomb a lot the early part of the game and the mom of the kids sitting right behind them asked them to stop and they did.

Why are these people in your hypothetical so angry and why am I ending up in an actual physical confrontation with them? Do people in Colorado fight each other in the stands a lot? I have been to thousands of sporting events in my lifetime and have seen maybe five fights in the stands. Is it the thin air or something?

Frankly, it seems like you just want an excuse to use the word "arse" in a post. Are you British?

13. DaminadaPt2

DaminadaPt2 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Not British, I use it because it wont get you banned. And let me clarify, I don't think anybody is talking about the person who blows the horn a few times a game.. or blows it when you score a goal.. or when something big happens. I'm talking about the fans who blow it for no reason, non stop during the game. Those are the ones that detract from the game.

14. PassionOfTheFoot

Feb 12, 2002
    Incheon, South Korea
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have never had an issue with people chanting, clapping, yelling, and whatnot in my ear at a soccer game. It's a thing of beauty.
    I have, however, had an issue with people blowing their damn horn in my ear during a soccer game. A soccer game shouldn't sound like a bunch of farm animals getting their nuts chopped off.
    But thank god I didn't hear any cowbells. Wasn't the FO giving these away with season ticket packages?

15. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there were definitely cowbells around. Not a lot though.

what do you guys think of other percussion instruments? maracas being shaken? timbales being struck? It seems like cowbells could fit in if you had a great section of percussion going on. The Brazil fans bring this stuff in an amazing, pro-party way.

16. WestSeattle

WestSeattle New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I'm with Scott, banning things is a slippery slope, count me out. Thank mercy the cowbell give-away was nixed though. Banning things is one thing, and I'm against it; but handing these things away for free is another. :)

17. Artesian

Artesian New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    The Evergreen State
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why'd you quote me? I was agreeing with you. Breaking someone's horn is as bush as it gets.

18. DaminadaPt2

DaminadaPt2 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    As armas said, those things don't bother folks. I love sitting next to the band, percussion etc., or folks adding to the spirit of the game. Those things are generally somewhat organized and can get people really into the game.

It's the noise without purpose that is annoying. And yes, I would throw cow bells in with the horns. If you ever want to know how annoying those things are, go to a Mississippi State football game.. it's terrible. Hell, just try to watch one of their games on TV, the bells will make you want to change the channel before you even realize you are watching an American football game. lol

19. DaminadaPt2

DaminadaPt2 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Just curious, how is somebody breaking your horn (ruining your fun) any different than you blowing your horn in their ear (ruining their fun)?

20. Pint of Lager

Pint of Lager New Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Pohjoiskaarre
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    Are you serious? The difference is breaking someone elses property, an item they have paid for. Consider this: someone decides to bring his $5000 saxophone to a game and ends up "ruining someone elses fun". You really think it's all good and fair if that $5000 saxophone gets destroyed?

21. Troy G

Troy G New Member

Apr 18, 2008
    WMATA
    Club:
    DC United
    If we're talking about money spent, what about the ticket the fan has paid for at the other end of the horn? (I'm just instigating for the sake of the argument.;))

22. narko

narko New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    North Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no problem with people using whatever they want to make noise.

23. Troy G

Troy G New Member

Apr 18, 2008
    WMATA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm deaf and wish I could hear fan excitement at matches.

24. Troy G

Troy G New Member

Apr 18, 2008
    WMATA
    Club:
    DC United
    Wait a minute I thought I was deaf...this because I happened to be at a MetroScum match.

25. Collander

Collander New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    what will you want to ban next... standing?