Playoffs

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by BUcHi, Oct 28, 2003.

1. BUcHi

BUcHi New Member

Oct 27, 2003
    Riverside/San Diego
    can someone explain to me how the mls playoff works??? i went to watch the galaxy play 2 weeks ago for the first time in my life i enjoyed it very much and am becoming a big fan it was amazing how they beat the smurfs 3-0. and im not familiar with the playoff format can someone pls explain to me how it works thank you ...

2. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FROM MLSNET.com:

"Series played under home-and-home, total goals format … Game One ends after 90 minutes … If teams tied on aggregate, 30-minute, golden-goal overtime period follows (played in two equal 15-minute halves), then by penalty kicks (if necessary) to determine Series winner … Higher seed holds home-field advantage for Game Two … Conference Championship Games and MLS Cup 2003, if tied after 90 minutes, determined by 30-minute, golden-goal overtime (two equal halves) … If neither team scores during that time, the series will be decided via penalty kick shootout held according to FIFA regulations …"

Welcome to BigSoccer!

Topper

:D :D

3. BUcHi

BUcHi New Member

Oct 27, 2003
    Riverside/San Diego
    so they only play 2 games? or is it best out of 3? or is it by total points after the series is over? sorry im confused

4. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    in the first round, there are two matches, home and away.

Whoever scores the most goals in those two matches advances.

IF, at the end of the second match, they are tied in total goals, they go to golden goal extra time.

If no goals are scores there, they go to PK's. winner advances.

in the conference finals, it's one match, winner advances to MLS Cup.

MLS Cup is at Victoria Street.

I like this dude already. He called them The Smurfs, in his first post. Good on ya! :D