[Playoffs] Kansas City vs Minnesota (12/03 7:30PM CST) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Nov 29, 2020.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The Playoffs: Part 2.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the end I think this game will hinge on whether Pulido plays or not. These playoffs have shown that the teams who’s DPs step up are the ones that are going to win.

mschofield repped this.
  3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I also think that we're better, from back to front, when Pulido is playing. he's very good on the ball, but his soccer IQ is enormous and his movement and decisions are strong enough that everyone is elevated by his play.
    Without him, assuming Kinda ( who was bad in his return last time but should be fit enough to be closer to his old self) is back, we're a below average Vermes team. We can control the game, and we run a lot, but as always we lack a focus.

4. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 aletheist, Nov 30, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    The game has just been moved from Wednesday at 8:00pm on FS1 to Thursday at 7:30pm on Fox. No reason given except "not COVID-related."

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...d-western-conference-semifinal-moved-thursday

The Western Conference Final has also been moved accordingly, from Sunday to Monday. If SKC advances, it seems a bit unfair to give their opponent not just one but two extra days of rest between games.

Edit: Apparently Thursday Night Football got moved back due to one team's COVID issues, so Fox offered that time slot to MLS.

TrueCrew repped this.
  5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether SKC advance or not it's unfair to the winner of the game as Seattle/Dallas basically get a normal week of training ahead of the game while SKC/MN get to come of like they just had a midweek game.

6. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, and it gets even worse if Thursday's game goes to extra time.

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    OTOH it is an extra day during which Pulido can heal. I mean, if he's close.

8. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    also chance of snow here on thursday, makes it even yuckier to play

then again we have some recent experience with snowball in salt lake ;)

9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys (and Minny) are getting screwed. Typical MLS BS. Heck, this potentially benefits my team & I still think it is garbage.

Does not mean you cannot overcome it, but you shouldn't have to.

10. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys will have 2 days off (5th & 6th). Sea/FCD will have 4.

11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Surely 3, right? Thursday game, Friday off, Saturday off, Sunday off, game Monday. Point stands, the others will have 5.
    It's not ideal, but given the total suck job 2020 has thrown us (in many aspects of life, including MLS scheduling and playing) I give the league a pass on wanting the potentially far larger TV audience available by playing Thursday on the main Fox. I mean, the western championship is back on FS1. Main channel, national exposure chances aren't that common for MLS, so this is a win for them in a year of heavy loss.
    Edit to add: I'd rather win this game and face the disadvantage than lose and be free from it, though. So no worries, carefree, in fact

12. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    but surely there will be more eyeballs for the western conference championship on a sunday rather than monday? Seems like across the two games the reschedule might actually imply a loss of viewership..

mschofield repped this.
  13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Except the Western championship match is on FS1, meaning that while it may well match the Thursday night audience in viewers (which would massively disappointing for MLS and Fox) the potential audience for actual Fox is many times that of FS1, and I have read on these threads is a sad fact even for many in KC this year. I'm not at all sure that folks expecting an american football match will tune in and say, aw, what they heck, I'll watch Kansas City and Minnesota play soccer. But given that a lot of games on FS1 have audiences of 100,000 or less, the potential audience of 260 million, and average audience of 4.6 million, is worth a shot.

14. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree about tonight. But, in general, how is this any different from previous years? World class attackers are needed to win in the MLS playoffs. Gone are the days where you can pin your hopes on your center back scoring off a corner and then holding on for dear life.

SKC 2103 were the last team without a "world class"/DP attacker to win MLS Cup. Since then, its been LA, Portland ,Seattle, Atlanta, and Toronto. SKC are finally back in the conversation, but without Pulido, they are toast.

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd put the caveat of "showing up" in there because the Nashville/Toronto game was fresh in my head at the time where the probable MVP (Pozuelo) and Piatti didn't show up and TFC got beat.

16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I screwed up the NFL on thrusday night numbers, the actual viewership is between 10 and 12 million. So, is MLS taking a huge risk by agreeing to move this match. I mean, if the numbers fall from 11 million last week to, say, 3 million, that's bad but huge for MLS. But if they fall from 11 million last week 98,000 for this game, that's bad

17. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes sense. That Toronto game was a train wreck for Pozuelo. Looked like he tied his shoes together.

I hope Pulido plays for us. When he starts and pushes Shelton wide, that improves two positions. I also think Gerso is more effective as a late sub. So, Pulido starting really has a domino effect on the front line. I think we'll have to score a few to win.

KopRules and mschofield repped this.
  18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Pulido starting has a domino effect on the midfield and defense, as well. We;re better everywhere because of his threat and his movement. And 100 percent agree on Gerso as a late game sub. It's okay to bring on Hurtado for the same reason, but it's really strong to have both optoins at 75 minutes.

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it improves a third, I think Kinda is much more successful when Pulido is on the field as well.

KopRules repped this.
  20. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Did Cal Williams elect not to call the game tonight for local MN? Or am I totally misreading this?

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulido not in the 18. An even worse trainwreck as last week.

mschofield repped this.
  23. siskoeva

siskoeva Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    F*** this.

24. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what an embarrassment so far.

it's great to have guys like pulido and felipe, but when they're always injured, what good are they to us?

dgb09 repped this.
  25. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and i'll reiterate how much i hate that this front office doesn't tell us shit about our star players' injuries.