Playoffs Format-Time for a Change

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Y&B POWER, May 28, 2009.

1. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Harsh, but true. We were crap and have been crap for years. We deserved it. This idea is silly.

2. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    so u say no to progress? fine so i won't ask for it any further

stay stuck with ur yoyo teams and be happy

3. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a fan of a team on the upside of the 'yo' I couldn't be happier with the current system. But you know what, Burnley would have been promoted under your joke system anyway. We beat Chelsea at the Bridge and Arsenal at Emirates for Christ sakes.

I'm just not sure why trying to preserve shit teams in the premiership is progress. Seems pretty stale to me.

4. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    yes but on the other hand u can end up with 4 promoted teams instead of 3

some countries instituted some sort of test top/bottom matchups like Holland Israel and Argentina so i can't really see why it won't match England and why the current one is better

5. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    No, we say no to shit ideas. It's up to you to explain why your idea is in fact not shit and beyond that, actually represents progress. So far, you've failed miserably, it adds up to "some other people have tried it, but the experiment was either canned after a couple of years or it was done at a level of the game that is totally irrelevant to the Premier League".

Weak stuff.

6. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And none of those 4 would have been Burnley

Do yourself a favor and never mention Argentina as an example of an effective promotion/relegation system ever again. It makes you look like a silly goose

7. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You didn't beat them at the Emirates, it was in Burnley I believe.

8. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Or there's the Mexican system, where teams are automatically relegated based on their points average over the past three years. But that's not as dramatic or exciting as the playoffs.

Of course if you wanted it to automatically go to the most 'deserving' team, I suppose you could argue that it should just be the top three who go up, but then that leaves half the division with nothing to play for by March.

9. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That second point is annoying very good.

10. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was Turf Moor, right. But it was still Arsenal!

11. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    btw,the formula has been used at the mid 90's in the SPL but folded due to stadia capacity criteria

12. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think the only issue is that one isn't inherently better than the other. It wouldn't stop the yo-yo'ing. The trouble is, you could have an awful team scrape through a playoff against a truly promising Championship squad, stay up and get relegated the next year instead, while the promising players from the playoff losers end up get signed by a Premier league team, destroying that squad in the process.

OK, Ok - the scenarios a stretch, but you get my point?

13. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Errr ... wrong. For a start, the SPL didn't exist in the mid-90's, it came into being in 1997. And capacity issues affect the league every other year or so. Fact is, the Scottish football system doesn't have enough big clubs for an elite system like the Premier League. The minimum capacity requirement has had to be lowered to something like 7,000 just to stop constant arguments at the end of each season when some tiddler from the lower reaches makes it into the "Premier" league.

14. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    the SPL refered as the Premier Division b4 1997 and included 10/12 clubs(Dundee United 1st division runners up beat next to bottom Partick Thistle 3-2 in a playoff 95/6 season)

p.s: Germany has also recenly recognized the significance in the system and applied it this season with 3rd top in the 2nd tier Nurenberg beaten 3rd from bottom Cottbus 5-0 in a plaoffs and got promotion to the Bundesliga 1st tier

15. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    See? It's not so hard to use actual facts, rather than half-remembered maybes, is it?

You're still left with a system that is invariably tried for a small length of time and then abandoned because it's shit.

16. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    well,we'll just have to wait and see for how long our fellow Germans will keep it then i predict a life time stance:)

17. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The only change I would make would be to add another spot to the playoffs to make finishing third more of a reward:

- 3rd place gets a bye straight to the playoff final
    - 4th plays 7th
    - 5th plays 6th
    - Two semi winners play each other, and the winner of that game plays the 3rd place team in the final.

There has to be a little bit of an additional reward for finishing higher in the table than your counterparts.

18. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    well, that's why the top two get automatic promotion.

not to belittle your point, as it's one to which most are sympathetic, but you'd still have the exact same dynamic, it'd just be between the places 4-7, as opposed to 3-6. and frankly, the further you go down the table to get playoff eligibility, the more you're diluting the very thing you seek to purify.