playoff stupidity fallout

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by GUTuna, Oct 24, 2004.

1. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    Having been there last night, you should round up those kids and pack them on the bus down to RFK next weekend. Impressive!

I seriously hope you bring a good contingent down here next weekend. Sport is about rivalries. In this rivalry, roadtrips are where it's at.

2. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Re: Metro playoff road trip, Sat Oct 30th- Metro at DC United

3. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia

kids got a huge applause and chant as they were passing under DC side tunnel and got big grins on their faces hehe

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

Ohhh ok. Thanx for clearing that up. Cause I thought when ya'll were leaning over the railing ya'll were doing something else. I think they called it "leaving your mark" back in the day. :)

5. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

Those kids were great!!! Yeah, we were cheering for them as they left the field. One of the best half time shows I've ever seen. Prior to half time, one of the stadium people came over to our section and asked me to spread the word around to not play our drums when the kids were playing, and we were happy to comply.

6. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

yes, those kids got a hearty round of applause from us

on the other hand, we let the kids who were dragging an effigy of a DC player behind a cart have it. but hey I forgot we're the ones without class :rolleyes:

7. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

Not only was it an effigy of a player, but it was the effigy of a black player, being dragged behind a vehicle. I mean, have these kids or their parents never heard of the Byrd case?

8. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004

So if it was white this would be acceptable? Interesting...

Anyway not quite sure why DC fans (including myself) are invading the Metros thread. Love the Metro support though!!

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

ummm... WTF ??? When and where the hell did this happen?

10. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

Did I say that? I don't think it would've been acceptable no matter who the player was. I would never think it was a good idea to drag an effigy of an opposition player behind a vehicle, no matter who it was.

11. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

It was at halftime. There was some sort of weird float thing that they were going to take out onto the field. It was a truck with a float behind it that had these surfboards and a fake MLS Cup made out of foil or something. There were a bunch of surfboards or boogie boards on the float, and there was an effigy of a player in Adu's uniform attached to the back of the float. And attached to the Adu effigy leg was a blow-up shark with "MPF" written on it. I think someone from the Metros front office nixed the idea of taking the float out onto the field because they realized how bad it would look to drag an effigy of Freddy Adu behind a vehicle.

12. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OK you tried to inflame things by saying it was a black player, raising old south images.

I didn't see it, I was up talking to friends, but to just say it was a black likeness and then after the fact it was a likeness of Adu, is just as irresponsible.

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

ohhh. That was part of the MPF parade earlier in the day. Beleive me there was NO intention of black vs white intended there. It was just a bunch of kids with help from mum and pop making a pro Metro - anti DC float.

14. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

I dont think any of us thought it was inherantly rasist, just in very, very poor taste, especially having kids do it.

15. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

My friend had actually thought about making an effigy of a DC player and making a noose and tying it to the lamp post in the car park...... but he didn't. :)

16. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia

I thought it was funny in a sense that same person that thought that was good idea in this PC climate is probably also responsible for silly plastic hats :D

Plus good idea to park it in front of us so we can tell them what we thought about it ;)