Playoff road trip 11/1 or 11/8

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Mad_Bishop, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    We know we're playing the rapids. We don't know the seeding. Therfore we could be playing in Denver on the 1st or the 11th. Either way I want to be there.

Those of you who missed out on Naperville or wish to experience thier first road trip (me included, I missed out on all three this season, despite buying tix for two of them) should speak up now and we should figure out how we're going to haul our butts up there and how to stay out of the clink for Public Drunkeness.

I say Sam gets the van together and we fill it up with mystics/cauldronites. I could possibly get my hands on a 7 seater van, too (although I'm not sure how much I trust it.)

2. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Abso-f-ing-lutely. I don't know how the logistics will work, but I'm definitely up for it. I can either meet you guys in Salina, or drive to Lawrence or KC.

We might want to check into renting a fifteen passenger van from Budget or somewhere else.

I may be able to front tix, I've gotta check.

3. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Due to lack of finances and a job, I really can't commit any money up front. That's poart of the reason I suggested using our own vehicles. I would like a discount on tickets, but if we can't get enough people together, I'm fine with getting tickets at the venue.

4. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jace, I'm willing to cover part of your expenses for the trip, because you paid for the tix for the OK roadies. So you don't have to worry 'bout that. :)

5. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Depending on plan, I might be interested.

I'm up for a larger vehicle. I'm not up for driving either direction. Legroom is key over 12 hours for us old guys, as is the ability to play cards and enjoy a beverage. IMO, it's the only way to make that trip in a car.

6. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I might be up for this trip.

It largely depends on my work situation. It may be a last minute decison for me, but I am considering it.

Any ideas on when we would leave and return?

7. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I would be able to leave Friday afternoon or Friday evening. If need be we could leave really early on Sat. morning, but that is kinda pushing the time...I would prefer a more leisurly drive.

If we get some people together early on this one (don't know how early since we're not ever sure of the date yet, and it may come down to the wire) I'm sure we could get a couple hotel rooms split two or four ways, thus saving money.

I for one, expect to be too shitfaced to be able to drive home Sat. night, so we could leave early Sun. morning if people have obligations, or just take our time coming back Sun night in order for people to get back to work. I'll look into pass. vans and such. I know that a bus is not viable (LA couldn't get together 40 people at $40 a head for SJ, I'm sure we can't either.)

8. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have a van now If we could get rid of our kid that could work out well.

9. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Kevin, can you speak with the front office to see if there is a possibility of getting a bus trip, and open it up to the rest of the people?

10. KC Salty

KC Salty Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll send an e-mail to Curt right away, and post again as soon as I get a response.

By the way, I'd like to get in on this as well.

ROAD TRIP!

11. KC Salty

KC Salty Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is Curt's reply:

Thanks for the interest and support. Thus far these bus trips have been money losing propositions as people express interest in the beginning and a high percentage then back out prior to game day. There is no doubt a bus full of supporters would be a hugely positive thing and we can book the bus at a reasonable rate (obviously that rate to Colorado is not cheap). The key is that it needs to be 60 or so people at $65 or so dollars (ticket to game included) in order for us not to lose our shirt. If we can get that type of committment the Monday prior to the game, we will get a bus booked (assuming availability). Please let me know what interest level you have. All the best.

Curt

I think Curt is saying that they want to see a commitment up front. The last few times they've asked people if they'd be interested in a bus, a large number has said yes, but a small number actually showed up with money. So I think they're going to wait until 60 people willing to shell out $65 ask them about a bus. I can understand the front office's concern.

Do we think we can muster up this type of interest or do we want to pursue our own means of getting there?

I can go either way. I took the bus to Tulsa and enjoyed it. I know a smaller road trip of just Mystics and friends would be fun as well. I'd like to hear everyone's feedback.

12. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I think there is no way we can get together that many people for that much money. I can say that if the cost is $65, then I'm deffinitly not going to be able to commit. I have a feeling a lot of people are with me. I understand the FO's unwillingness to front the money, and I don't think they're being unreasonable. I just think it would be more economically feasible (and personally more fun) if we go up with one or two vans of just mystics/regulars. YVMV.

I looked into passenger vans from Budget and Enterprise, and the cost wouldn't be much further from CJ's proposed cost (12 passengers/~$500 +gas = $50). Plus, I'm only 23, so someone else would have to rent it anyway.

As I said before, I have possible access to a 7 passenger Aerostar, plus Spoon may be able to work something out, plus I haven't talked to Sam yet.

13. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Do any of you really think you're going to get off with less than $100 anyway? You have to think about your portion of gas, you're talking about splitting hotel rooms, food, tickets, etc. $65 is about as cheap as a 12 hour trip comes...

14. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    count me in

I agree with Kevin that the trip to Tulsa was great. Heck, if it weren't for that I'd still be in my regular seats as opposed to the Cauldron. But I don't think we'll be able to get 60 people together for the bus trip through the front office, much as I would like to do it that way.

However I really want to go and am willing to go along with whatever plan is worked out.

Chris

15. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    OK lets look at it this way what would be the cost if less people went

60*$65= 3900

60*15 = 900

3000 for the bus
    900 for the tickets

$50 individually for bus fair @60 people
    $67 indivudually for bus fair @ 45 people.
    $100 individually for bus fair @ 30 people.

add $15 for tickets to each price and that is what it is going to cost for them not to lose their shirt.

I agree with Ben the cheapest road trip I have been on was the ones that we forgone the hotel and came straight home.

Milwuakee is about the same travel time. Ben, Derek and I, made the trip where we drove up saw the game then came home. It is a pretty rough trip when you are in a cramped car. I believe it ended us costing me around $85 bucks, add a hotel to that and it would have jumped up to around $100. The largest expense was the gas. With large vans you can cut the cost of gas in half, but you also get less gas mileage, and on long trips that can equal another full tank.

A bus trip will allow us all to get shitfaced, home on Sunday morning. We wouldn't have to stop for bathroom breaks. We may have a TV. None of would have to drive. We wouldn't have to pay for a hotel. It may be a bit cramped with 60 people (if we can even get 60 to go). I agree with what Chris said as well these roadtrips may be the best tool to get people to sit in the cauldron at home games. People might be more willing to go to a Playoff game to Denver than a meaningless Exhibition to Tulsa.

A couple of passenger vans I think would up the price a bit because we have to get a hotel. Depending on how much I make in the next couple of weeks I will say maybe. I know it is going to cost atleast $100 counting food, beer, gas, hotel, and rental fee.

16. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    It's decided

The road game is on the 1st. OK, I'm in for whatever.

17. wizardsrunner

wizardsrunner New Member

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City, MO
    First leg appears to be on Tuesday, November 4

In the COL-DAL post-game recap on MLSnet, they have KC @ COL listed for Tuesday, Novermber 4th.

From http://www.mlsnet.com/games/03/tracker.php?gamename=10252003_COLDAL&version=recap :

The Rapids could not take advantage of the Kansas City Wizards draw against D.C. United earlier on Saturday, and with the loss finished third in the Western Conference with 40 points (11-12-7), two points behing K.C., meaning the Wizards will have home-field advantage in the conference semifinal between the two clubs. The series begins on Tues., Nov. 4 in Denver (7 p.m. MT), with the return leg set for Kansas City's Arrowhead Stadium on Sat., Nov. 8 (8 p.m. CT).

18. dew1805

dew1805 New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    Kansas City
    First game of paly-offs

Just read this on the Wizards site-

"With their tie and Colorado’s loss to Dallas, the Wizards have clinched the second seed in the West and home field advantage in the first round of the playoffs. Kansas City will travel to Colorado on Tuesday, November 4th to face the Rapids at INVESCO Field. The match will kickoff at 8:30 p.m. CT and will be broadcast live on Metro Sports."

So much for a road trip to Denver. And my next qestion is why can't we have a game next weekend? I checked the Broncos Schedule and they are not playing till Monday night. They would have almost 48 hours to pre the field.

19. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, when I was in Denver at the beginning of this month for the Chicago-cRapids game, they announced that the first game would be on the 8th. Which I thought was weird, considering the three spots were still up for grabs.

Something else must be coming in.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=613

Edit: Yes, there is. And it's official, someone at Kroenke or AEG dropped the ball big time.

I know that the Broncos own the stadium, but why in the hell would you shoot yourself in the foot like this? MLS should fine Colorado heavily for this. It was announced AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEASON that the playoffs would be held on the first and second weekends of November. The Rapids thought they should slide into the second-place slot, and home field advantage. But no.

Even better idea......

Revoke Colorado's privilege of hosting. Hold both games in Kansas City.

I know that neither one of these are likely to happen, but then again, MLS isn't exactly the most transparent and upstanding of organizations either...
    Move Colorado. :D

20. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    Seriously P*****D

This is a load of pure crap and utter BS. Sigh. No Road trip then. Man, the Rapids almost make the Cinci Bungles look like a stellar organization.

21. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm at Keystone CO for a conference right now and the Denver news just stated that the game is on Nov. 4th.

22. KC Salty

KC Salty Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dumbass Denver (Donkeys and Crapids)! I can't make a Tuesday trip.

If we get fined for shorts, I hope Colorado gets fined for being overconfident and stupid. That and I hope the Wizards destroy them on the pitch.

23. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have found the new Mystics-mobile.......

Pictures to come.

24. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    All right, thats it! Because of this Kroenke/Rapids gaffe, I'm boycotting Wal-Mart!!! Oh wait, I already have.

25. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO