Playoff Pregame/Postgame Discussion: LA at Rapids Friday (R)

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by The Legend, Oct 18, 2004.

1. jdonnici

jdonnici Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Westminster, CO
    And at each other's throats, especially in the first half. Ruiz, Kirovski, Ngwenya, and Saragosa were all at each other's throats at various times - to point that you could hear the arguing from the stands. All's well in Sampson-ville.

2. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I feel positive going into LA, if only because LA looked weak and disorganized in Colorado. I enjoyed watching Ricky Lewis school Ngwenya. The fish was unusually floppy - how the heck does Ruiz NOT get carded for his diving/unsportsmanlike conduct???

The only time I recall LA looking dangerous on a sustained basis is when the old man (ok, Cobi isn't THAT old, but he's been around for what, forever?) came in.

I would have preferred a 2 goal lead (who wouldn't?), but I'll take the one goal lead and hope that with our bunker ball style and LA's growing desperation throughout the game, there are some breaks for Pedro and co. to move the ball on the counter. We will go as far as Joe Cannon carries us for the remainder of the playoffs (hey, why make it different than the last 31 games?).

3. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles
    My rebuttal to your comments if I may.....

As for the fish, I'm surprised to. No worries though, we don't see him around too much longer.

You must be one of the 4 people that were actually at the game because if you were there you would've noticed 3 direct shots on goal that if it were anyone other than Cannon in there we would went home two goals up.

Yes, you are absolutely correct in that you will go as far as Cannon allows you because he's the only person on team. As you said yourself, not one single player other than Cannon made a difference all year long. Not one!

I say Los Angeles Galaxy 3 Colorado Cannons 1

4. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Just one quick comment: I did see the direct shots on goal (two definitely stand out...the reaction save above his head and the dive to clear a shot that would have just made it inside the post).

LA had chances, but looked disorganized and didn't look dangerous on a sustained basis until Cobi came in.

I was one of the 4 (well, 8,000) people there. It was pretty cold (to me). Something tells me that if it was in the 40's and windy, LA wouldn't have much of a turnout either :)

If I had to predict for Sat, I'd guess 1-1.

5. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles
    Disorganized?...yes...but come on guy, it's the MLS we're talking about. Look you know as well as I do that any team in this league can win or lose at any time. It's called PARITY. You sound like an intelligent person, you know damn well that just as much as Cannon saved your butts from a 3-1 loss last friday, it can very well be the oppisite result for you this weekend. After reading through most of your supporters threads, it doesn't sound like anyone disagrees with that.

Second, 8000 people? Unless you were the usher that night I beg to differ. But you're right, if it was in the 40's and windy I would have to think about it.

And lastly, you know all to well that you're 1-1 prediction......is really a prayer. Come on, all bias aside, as much as I know the G's are absolutely horrid on the road, you actually think the Rapids will walk away from the Home Depot Center Fortress in front of 27,000 roaring fans for 90 minutes, with a 1-1 tie?

I guess we'll have to see...may the best team win. Pray Cannon is well...as your supporters all agree on, he's your only chance.

6. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Let me get this straight -- you're criticizing someone who says they would like to see Spenny on the field, even just as a sub? You would honestly prefer starting Cila to starting Spenny -- or using Delgado as a sub before Spenny?

Phil, I think it's time to get that cataract surgery. Just what did you find so "entertaining" about Friday's game? The constant onslaught of LA and dearth of genuine chances for the Rapids?

7. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Indeed, we recall the N.E. debacle very well.
    I was there and I think 8k was about right.
    Yes, we all agree on that. I still think L.A. is very dangerous and if the Rapids bunker in, your 3-1 result might be all to true.

8. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Meanwhile the Galaxy can't lay claim to even a single player who has made a difference. Tell me, where would the Galaxy have been the past two years without Ruiz? I'd guess they'd be in the same kind of hole they're in right now.

9. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles
    First off, I wouldn't necessarily call being down 1-0 to the Colorado Cannons with the final leg in Los Angeles "a hole". Definitly a "pain in the butt" but definitly not a hole.

Second, I agree Ruiz was what led us to glory in 2002 but since then has led us to not much else. If you paid any attention to the G's in 2003 you would've found that we've actually won more games and have played better without him. So your argument on Ruiz is only valid for 2002.

By no means are we in a hole, and I think you know that.

10. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Let me get this straight -- you're criticizing someone who says they would like to see Spenny on the field, even just as a sub? You would honestly prefer starting Cila to starting Spenny -- or using Delgado as a sub before Spenny?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    actually yes. i would honestly prefer Cila than Spencer. IMO the team's meshes better with Cila and not Spencer or De La Torre.Cila moves more and helps out in the middle. Spencer tends to stand around with his back to the net and three opposing players on him and he still wants the ball at his feet.. Even the announcers mentioned the passing of colorado....

11. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Your words echo my point: with Ruiz off his game in 2003 and 2004, the Galaxy have been unable to replicate the successes of 2002. If you say Colorado is without difference makers other than Cannon, then good sir, I present to you the 2004 Los Angeles Galaxy featuring No Difference Makers.

Being down 1-0 on aggregate is most definitely a hole. Not an insurmountable one, but still a hole. If you believe it's merely halftime of a 180-minute game, then you're fooling yourself. When all the Rapids need to do is earn a draw, that puts the Galaxy at a disadvantage, something they've never faced against the Rapids in the postseason.

12. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    (I'm not talking about DLT here, so I'll just ignore your continued inclusion of him)
    Fair enough, and I appreciate your adding comments to your opinion. The Rapids' passing on Friday was definitely among the best we've seen this year; if Cila was definitely a component of that then I might lean in your diretion. However, I didn't see Cila involved in this game much at all -- which also means he didn't have too many negative touches. Perhaps he was a lot more involved than I originally observed -- anyone else care to weigh in on Cila's impact last Friday?

13. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles
    You make some good points but I still disagree with you. 1-0 may be a hole to FC Dallas or the Revs but not the Galaxy and definitly not at the Home Depot Center in front of a soon to be guaranteed sell out crowd. If it was off to Denver I can understand your hole theory but not coming to LA.

Granted the G's F'd up in Denver but you're coming to our turf now(what's the Craps record here?), the 27,000+crowd behind us and all players are healthy.

Colorado has one thing..Cannon. that's it! Yes, he's nearly unstoppable but having all of that in our favor, you just can't call it a hole. sorry!

14. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is another thing in our favor, the league's best defense. We might not score a lot, but when a lead needs to be protected...we can do it. We gave up a league low 32 goals this season. It's not going to be easy to score and it is not just because of Cannon. The men in front of him are not soft. If we get a ref who will actually call the correct fouls for the little fish flopping, we're all set.

15. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I thought he gave the ball away more often then not. It was him, however, who had two of the few Rapids opportunities at goal. I don't think he contributes much as a midfielder, I like him as a forward, a poacher. However, I agree that Spencer at less than 100% is even less value in the midfield. If I have to choose between Cila and a less then 75% Spencer, in midfield, I'll take Cila. I'd like to consider DLT, however, over both of them. That would make them a bit more defensive, but maybe more dangerous on the counter with long balls. A thought, maybe not a good one though :)

16. COLORADOGOLEE

COLORADOGOLEE New Member

Mar 22, 2004
    COLORADO
    I like the use of DLT. DLT brings an ability to serve a quality ball. He has a way of serving a ball that is a bit less then predictable.

I like your thought.

17. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Our record is 1W 2L 1Tie at the HDC ... I wouldn't say you exactly dominate us ... in a hole implies you need to do something to get out of your situation ... and you are my friend ... you need to score a goal against the leagues best defense with the leagues best keeper and the league MVP ... the Galaxy are in a hole! If they weren't in a hole ... then if nothing happens after 90s minutes ... you'd be fine ... but if nothing happens in 90 minutes ... your season is over! .... but thanks for playing.

On Cila ... I largely didn't notice him ... which for an offensive player ain't that good ... the one time I did notice him he blew a really good chance on goal by shooting about 800 feet wide.

I'd rather see Spenny start ... and Cila finish ... especially if we head to xtra time.

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids are 1-1-2 at the HDC. One of only 4 teams to get a win at the HDC (KC, Chicago and the Metros are the others). FC Dallas, who you seem to be afaraid of, has the worst record of any MLS team at the HDC, 0-0-4. New England is 0-1-2. KC is the only Western team with a better record at the HDC than the Rapids. KC and Colorado are the only Western teams to have gotten points this year at the HDC azs well. I'd be a little more concerned about defending your turf. You'd probably prefer to be in a 1-0 hole to Dallas or San Jose compared to Colorado.