Playoff Nuts and Bolts

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by shawn12011, Sep 1, 2002.

1. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    Spot on. After last night's debacle in Big D (Thanks Ryan Suarez! After Jack Edwards pimps you for WC '06, you go and directly participate in giving up all three goals!), our backs are against the wall.

Even a Metro's tie would have left us some wiggle room. Now we need to beat all comers. That means four in a row from here on out.

Of course we've had trouble SCORING in two in a row...but that's why we're supporters, not just fans, right???

2. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To put it in terms of magic numbers (combination of winning and losing points)

NY, CLB, and KC = 4 to clinch
    CHI = 5 to clinch
    NE = 10 to clinch

My thoughts:
    Any combination of a win and a tie for the remaining NY, CLB, and KC matches, and it doesn't matter what we do.

We need to sweep the Metrodonkeys in order to have a prayer of catching them.

A Split between Columus and Chicago is bad. A sweep one way or the other is better.

Colorado sweep of KC would also be beneficial.

If DC wins out, and Chicago and NE BOTH lose their next two games, DC clinches with the win vs Dallas. Otherwise, we're going to be watching games over the weekend and doing A LOT of praying and cheering for other guys.

3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WIN"S ON THE ROAD! That is what United needs to be in at this point. Ties on the road won't cut it now. Dang Dallas Flameout's.

4. slacker

slacker Member

Nov 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just win, baby!

Actually, I'm pretty certain that if we somehow manage the herculean feat of winning out (making it 5 in a row including last weekend against SJ, including our first two road wins of the year!!), we needn't watch any other scores. Here's why.

DCU would finish with a record of 11-12-5 for 38 points. We would have beaten NE, NY/NJ twice, and Dallas. Our most direct competition for a playoff spot is still NY/NJ and NE, as we can eliminate them both just by beating them and winning our other remaining games.

Metroscum Even with their win against Dallas, if the scum lose both games against us, and then win their other game vrs. NE, they end up with 38 points, and DC owns the first tiebreaker (H2H record) as we'd have taken 3 out of 4 against them.

Revulsion If we beat New England this weekend, the best they can manage is 35 points, which would also include beating the scum.

So, IF DC wins out - we finish with 38 points. NY finishes with at most 38 points (including a win over NE, leaving them at 32), and we own the tiebreaker vrs NY, putting us ahead of both NE and NY. If NE beats metroscum, they still only finish with 35 points, and so do the Metro(!), again putting us ahead of both of them.

If we fail to win any of the remaining games there might be some scenarios where we still squeak in with help from others (either over NE and NY/NJ or ahead of other strugglers) - such as this one:

If we manage to beat NE, and NY twice, but screw up on the last day against Dallas, there still is hope for us if NE plays spoiler and knocks off the scum that same day. This could leave us tied with NE at 35 points (if the had managee to beat Dallas in their second to last game, in addition to knocking off the scum on the last day). But having beaten NE this weekend, I believe that we'd win the tiebreaker (aren't we currently 1-1-1 with NE?).

Bottom line: just win baby and never mind the other games!

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put your faith in a team that's playing its third match in five days, and you deserve what you get.

6. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    No kidding. That was a raw deal from the scheduling dept. of MLS & USSF.

7. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    The MLS schedule has been out for months before the season. Blame USSF.

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, there must be a good reason why Kansas City and Columbus couldn't play this past Tuesday night, and Dallas and LA couldn't play this coming Tuesday night. But I'll be darned if I know what it is.

Well, other than an apparent willingness of the USSF to rain favors upon the Los Angeles Galaxy. Another favor from Soccer House: If Kansas City beats Columbus on Tuesday night, the US Open Cup final will be at Titan Stadium. For those keeping score, that very stadium was the site of the 2001 semifinal, the 2001 final, the 2002 semifinal, and possibly the 2002 final.

But it would be undignified and unsporting for me to question the legitimacy of the US Open Cup or to point out that the Gals have yet to win a title outside of southern California.

9. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Spot on. The only time the Galaxy don't get deferential treatment is when New York can possibly get it.

BTW, I'm sooooooooooooooooo glad United gave away a first round draft pick to the Galaxy so they could have 4 games of Zambrano. Isn't it odd that only the Galaxy had what United needed? ;) Whatever ... if it helps the league become solvent I'm cool with it.

-Tron

10. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8
    1 point by chicago and we are out. We lose the tie breakers. Three points by NE and we are out. And we have to close out with victories.

Can we close this thread.

11. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the thread starter I agree. It is time to close this one, not much need for it now.

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    We won’t close it. We’ll just let it die the same kind of inevitable death that our season did. :(

13. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8