Playoff Draw

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Scottish_Morton, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Latvia v Turkey
    Scotland v Holland
    Croatia v Slovenia
    Russia v Wales
    Spain v Norway

And i thought it wasn't meant to be seeded!
    Tough for Scotland. We are unlikely to go through but should be 2 great occasions. Can't see Wales going through either unfortunately.

2. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    The Dutch will be well up for this one, as failing to qualify for 2 finals in a row would be nothing short of a national disaster.

Then again, Scotland are at their best against the bigger sides, even if it does invariably end in glorious failure.

Could be Berti's chance to win over the folk who still aren't convinced by him...

3. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    I agree o holiest of joes, we have absolutely nothing to lose in this tie. Remembering our last play-off against England I was more upset we didnt get the home leg last, should be a good laugh, the dutch are a good bunch too.

4. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    Since the draw was always going to be rigged... I think this is about the best we could have got in the circumstances. I would rather play a team and manager we know a lot about (which is a levelling factor) than a stronger team like Spain, or travel somewhere like Russia or Turkey.

The fact they didn't qualify last time helps us. One of the people from the KNVB has already said it would be a disaster if they didn't qualify. So if we could sneak a 1-0 or even a 0-0 draw in the first game (like Celtic did in most of their UEFA cup ties), then that would put huge levels of pressure on Advocaat, who does not work well under pressure.

As long as we are not blown away by their obviously superior talent (ie their strikers) in the first game, then I think we can compete and win. Certainly we have to believe this or we have no chance.

5. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    It should also added that our u21s will play Croatia (away first) in their playoff on the night before each of the senior matches. This (in a sense) could be more important than the senior matches since the SFA has declared an interest in hosting the finals should we win this playoff.

It is also a good draw if you consider that the team we edged into 2nd place (Germany) now have to play Turkey, who won a group containing England and Portugal.

6. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    It was also good to not draw the Czech Rep. who are the current U21 champions.

I heard on Sky Sports News that Advocaat was not going to play van Nistelrooy & Kluivert in the same team again and that Kluivert was his first choice striker, so no van Nistelrooy at Hampden?

I think i'd rather PK played with the way Barcelona are currently going!

Also van Bommel? is doubtful was an injury.

7. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    RVN's an a-hole

Has done ZERO for the Oranje. And van Bommel is out whihc is not good. On the other hand that means van der Vaart will definitely start though he might have anyway up front with PK.

This the way I see the Dutch lining up:

Wattereus

Reiziger Stam de Boer Oiijer (or van Bronckhorst)

van der Meyde Davids van der Vaart Robben (or Overmars)

Kluivert Makaay

Not exactly a line-up that instills fear, especially at the back. I expect Holland to win but it will not be easy. Truth be told, I fear that the Dutch are in decline.