Playing with confidence

Discussion in 'Player' started by viperman5000, Nov 10, 2004.

1. viperman5000

viperman5000 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Ohio
    For the past couple years I have been playing on some premier teams (worthy of a college team). I do alright in my mind (I'm a perfectionist), but my coaches all tell me to play with more confidence. I have been told that I have great potential to being good if I just had more confidence. Can anyone help me with this problem and does anyone have any suggestions?

2. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    Shoot from center field!! I did it last night in my indoor game, scored in the upper corner, and it did wonders for my confidence for the rest of the night! ;)

3. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    I had a real confidence problem last season and have completely gotten over it now. I actually completely changed my game.

I'm a central midfielder and all I look for now is picking up the ball and distributing it. Easy passes and making runs and creating space. Looking to release forwards and wingers and tracking back and putting solid tackles in when I need to.

Last season I was rubbish quite frankly. I never got stuck in, never got my head up and tried too many long balls.

I find when I get on the pitch I just get myself in the mindset that I KNOW I'm better than any player they've got and that I just need to keep a cool head, make simple passes and get into the game like that.

I don't know what would work for you, or where you play, but just get comfortable with what you're doing, what your manager wants from you and don't over-complicate.

4. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The more you play and get to know your players the more confident you will become, simple! It's like standing up infront of people and giving a presentation or performing, more you do it the more you become used to it and the more it will seem like just another day at the office!

5. theblondsoccerstar

theblondsoccerstar New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    UT, USA
    if your troubles are in the dribbling/handling ball area, then learn to juggle really well. if its just in general, then play soccer whenever you can, wherever you can.

6. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    A few questions. What position do you usually play? Do you impose yourself on the game?

7. viperman5000

viperman5000 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Ohio
    I usually play an outside mid or a centre mid. I usually get the ball and distribute a good attacking ball. Every now and then I will take on defenders and take a shot on goal.

8. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    In that case, your coach probably wants you to get more involved. ie, make more attacking runs, be more positive, tackle/press more, etc. You should ask your coach to clarify your position and what they expect from you. Just ask what you can do to improve.

9. Irnbru

Irnbru New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Also in games or situations were you need to impress your coach, play to yoru strenghts. Im a good passer of the ball with both feet and have a good passing range, am fast, and good in the tackle, so in games i go in for lots of tackles, release the ball quickly, and move a LOT off the ball. Im not so good at dribbling, so in a game situation i dont do it very often. The only time i work oin my dribbling is in a non-pressure situation, such as when we stay behind after practice to play world cup.

10. Ben16

Ben16 New Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Georgia
    not starting is always my confidence killer cuz im a really good player
    but im always good whenever i start

11. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Rubbish, you need to get that sorted out.

Think of it this way. If you come on as a sub, you will be fitter, more hungry and have more knowledge of the match. ie, watched how opposition players respond in certain situations, seen the space they leave, watched their runs, know the bounce of the pitch... Therefore, the match should be easier for you and your performance should be good.

Your skill + fitness + knowledge = showtime

Stop sulking, go out and prove yourself.