Playing Scared

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by NietzscheIsDead, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    In this case it's not about "male insecurity" but about the well-known positive effects of the hormone. Sure, it also has negative effects (increased aggressiveness and violence), but it's also good to keep in mind that demonizing a hormone necessary to continue the species is not exactly rational.

The entire "red pill" thing may be a reaction to other things, too, like excessive maligning of typical masculine traits. Societies have a thing about following a pendulum pattern: left-right.

And testosterone is known to promote risk-taking in many more things besides libido, from risk-taking at the poker table to risk-taking in the stock market.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5964298/

2. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR

Ever wonder why it costs men more to drive a car? Its because insurance companies understand, through statistics, that men take more risks.

3. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    That's not really derived from testosterone, though. There's a lot of things that influence this.

4. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    It's kind of funny that you're excluding the single-most obvious and influential biological component of any difference in favor of nebulous "things".

5. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    While the other poster higlighted the role testosterone may have in increasing dopamine receptors, the latter is a more direct driver. And we're far from knowing all the major drivers of dopamine receptors.

Testosterone levels really don't directly drive risk taking on a biological level.

There's also a heavy societal and cultural element to all of this as well.

We're way off topic, so I'll stop here.

6. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR

Testosterone and Risk-Taking Behavior:

NIH published research on the topic: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5964298/
    Harvard Gazette: https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/st...avior-is-associated-with-higher-testosterone/

Testosterone and Aggression:

NIH Research: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3693622/

Testosterone and Competition:

NIH research: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27103058

Testosterone and Dominance:

NIH research: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10097017

To summate: Man up or get stomped.
    I don't need to go into physiological basics such as what the endocrine system is, how it relates to the neurological system, and what kind of role testosterone plays in those mechanics to understand the over-arching themes of this issue.

Conclusion (back to soccer):
    Mexico:
    [​IMG]

USMNT:
    [​IMG]

7. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You are the first person to ever , and I mean ever to say this!!

8. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, this fanbase is just ********ing sad. No wonder why the rest of the planet doesn't take the US seriously in men's soccer.

Everyone (myself included) just sits here, complains, and does nothing about the Federation. It's so bad we're now talking about testosterone instead of soccer.

9. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Apparently we have a host of Bigsoccer physicians to call upon when a diagnosis is needed. Good to know. I have seen it all. :thumbsup:

10. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Don't run and hide, do what I asked you. Compare the players.

Mexico is better than the usmnt, that is fact. Don't blame the coach, a different coach doesn't guarantee different results.

Your response plays into OP's point of "less masculinity". I'll address that, as it's something I've brought up about you guys many times over the years.

Instead of taking on arguments head-on, many of you will try to throw red herrings and faulty analogies like yours, thinking anyone would fall for it. You'll lose debate after debate, then respond nonsensically like you did rather than accept facts.

That is unbecoming, tbh, not just of a man, but of a sensible person, and that happens often on this side of the forum. The comparison was Mex vs usmnt, nothing else.
    ---------------------

As far as that redpill term posters have brought up here, it's a very controversial subject matter, from what I have discovered. I could be wrong, but from what I've read, redpilling someone means awakening them to the problems whites are facing nowadays. Decreasing power and population. They want people to "wake up" and support their own, and make the white community rise to prominence, while being protective of it as well.

If you guys are part of that movement, I don't think supporting football aligns with your goals. Being delusional about it definitely pushes yall backwards.

11. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I made a redpill swipe, but here I am refering to online groups revolving around everything from self-proclaimed men's rights to self-proclaimed incels, etc. (Incels = Involuntary celibates, where men who aren't having sex get together and alternately blame "chads" and terrible women for not having sex with them.)

It's a set of online communities filled with self-loathing and a general perspective that women are oppressing them variously by making them "betas" but also by not sleeping with them and a whole bunch of other nonsense.

Many of these folks may also harbor racist sentiments as I'm sure the communities somewhat overlap given the political alignment. But I when I referenced it I was only referring to the gender-driven dynamic here, not a racial one. Other's opinions may vary.

The term redpill may be used in racial dynamics -- lord know a bunch of people on the internet afraid of other people LOVE the Matrix -- but I didn't mean that here.

Honestly, from what little I've seen, this forum is pretty merciless on racially intolerant commentary, as it should be.

12. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Everybody uses the term redpill. I was not aware that racists used it and I think that is fabulously ironic considering it is Laurence Fishburne's most iconic scene.

That said, this is the silliest thread I have ever seen in this forum, which takes some doing.

13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You seriously have a flag of Mexico covering the United States as your avatar and you want to attack people who are “red pilled.” Maybe these people you poke at, would like to protect the sovereignty of one’s nationhood and constitution. Evidently, it’s people like you, and people appeasing the behavior of people like you, the reason why America faces a serious problem with masculinity.

TOAzer repped this.
  14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    "Incel" is not gender exclusive, there are quite a few women out there who self-define as "incels."

Involuntary celibate means not just those who don't have sex because they cannot get a partner, but also those who could only get partners they consider beneath their minimum threshold of attractiveness (mainly the case with the female incels or "femcels").

https://www.huckmag.com/art-and-culture/tech/meet-the-women-of-the-incel-movement/

15. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    For crying out loud.

gogorath repped this.
  16. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [1] Well, I suppose if everybody uses the term redpill then that subset of the population which is racist would also use the term. Truly, Gogorath has hit upon a mighty insight here.
    [2] If we have been reduced to having to respond to Gogorath's drivel on the use of "redpill" as the sign of the devil, well, yeah, this is a candidate for the silliest of threads.

17. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is probably a term now for those who self identify with public tears....;)

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  18. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Behold "It's called FOOTBALL"! He is to reasoned discussion what Benny Hill was to Quantum Mechanics...... but without the foot speed.

19. big_pole57

big_pole57 Member

Oct 21, 2009
    King George, Virginia
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loved the Benny Hill show on PBS when I was a young man... the way he patted that little bald guy on the head! HA HA

TOAzer repped this.
  20. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Lacricels?

TOAzer repped this.
  21. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, bring em around an Army infantry barracks. Trust me, someone will ******** it.