Playing Ketchup in 2021: Heinze named manager

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by SabreKhan, Dec 19, 2020.

1. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's South American, he's attack-minded, and he's now our guy. I'm fairly excited for this hire. He's unproven outside his homeland, but I have high hopes.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mad props on the title. We're going to improve in '21 and contend in '22. That's my best guess.

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We mustard off the 2021 season right!

SabreKhan repped this.
  4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree about feeling optimistic but not so presumptive that trophies are expected right away. The critical thing here is the team did take action in recognition of bad results and seemingly steered things back in the direction preferred by fans. It shows ambition and respect for fan devotion. Now if Gabriel wins over the players, as well, we should see a discernibly stronger side next season.

Early comments and reports make it sound like Barco is staying, and that Heinze was chosen in part for his willingness to play youth. I'm guessing a large part of the interview process was how he'd resolve the Barco dilemma and others like it in the future. (ie: Can you get youngsters to understand responsibility and actually develop?) I assume they also did a soft-sell to Barco in the sense that they said they'd find someone more tailored to his expectations as a coach but he'd better respond or he's never reaching Europe.

Will be anxious to see how the defense evolves over '21. If they intend to play more pressing styles similar to Heinze's other teams you have to think Franco has limited room for his reckless ways and 1 of Meza and Robinson may be eventually shipped for someone with more pace.
    Oi.

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I won't be upset if we don't win anything in '21, but I do expect us to play attractive, attacking ball, make other teams fear us again, and reach the playoffs. As you yourself said a few weeks ago, the focus on parity in this league kinda helps us to rebound a lot more quickly than we would have in a proper cap-free league. Plus the single-leg playoff system is tailor-made for upsets. We'll know what we got in a few months. By '22, we should be recovered and contending in full. That's about all you can ask.

I really can't imagine him not winning over the players. After what they've been through, they're probably his to lose. We absolutely will be stronger this year, if for no other reason than that we have a manager with first-team experience. I never once blamed Glass for what he didn't know yet, and I hope we keep him, or he gets a manager's gig somewhere.

I have to disagree with the bolded. Barco turns 22 this upcoming March. If it doesn't work out here, he's got plenty of time (3-4 years) to be sold to whoever and still rebound. I don't think his European future depends on us at all... unless we don't sell him.

Huh. I thought Miles was kinda fast.
    Heinze will keep Esco centered. Wiki says they were a year apart at Newell's, but I swear I read someplace that they played together for a season before Gabe hung up the boots.

6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, Barco has time to make Europe but he'd rather have bona fide options and more potential to offer when he goes so that he makes good money and doesn't end up on some nondescript side.

Or end up settling for Saudi oil money.

As for Miles he's fast but not quick. Same with Meza, and both try to compensate via positioning. When it works they're fine, but when they're off or playing against quality opponents it leads to goal opportunities surrendered like the one against NY in the Orlando tourney. Typically with a high press you need at least one CD capable of adapting very quickly in response to rebounds or breakaway attempts, and I'm not sure either of them can do that. IF Heinze goes that route.

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cautiously optimistic. But maaaan, I hated this MF'er when he was at ManYoo.
    :p

GunnerJacket repped this.
  8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm going to overlook his European team allegiances in the same way I'm doing it with Darren Eales!

9. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair. I'm sure I've told you before in one of these threads, that I basically conveyed that sentiment to Eales when I met him. He took it in good stride, and we actually had an interesting conversation about Wenger---it was right after Wenger had stepped away.

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm hoping the reason you hated him transfers over to his managerial time here. If he can make other teams hate him, all to the good!

But Eales played here, both in college and professionally. May not have been good enough to play at home, but wanted to come here to go to school. I saw something about him leading Brown tot the NCAA quarterfinals. Honestly, I don't know what happened. Ivies don't give athletic schollys, AFAIK.

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Happy Holidays to all of you and yours!

12. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    same to you!

GunnerJacket and Auriaprottu repped this.
  13. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just always thought he was a dirty cynical bastard. But I admit that was looking through an Arsenal prism.

Again, this is an Arsenal thing, as Eales was associated with the Scum before coming to Atlanta. And yeah, Ivies don't give athletic scholarships [wink wink nudge nudge].

GunnerJacket and Auriaprottu repped this.
  14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Maybe we'll need that for the badminton court they call Yankee Stadium...

Did not realize this! I knew he'd spent some time in Spurs' FO. I assume that didn't bug you too much because they didn't win anything.

15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Merry Christmas to those 17's so inclined, and to all a peaceful and joyous holiday season!

And perhaps more importantly, here's to looking forward to 2021!

16. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article on DSS seems to show that Heinze was the #1 target, and that he didn't seriously consider going anywhere other than Atlanta. I like it. Welcome to town, El Gringo!

Auriaprottu and GunnerJacket repped this.
  17. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not soccer related but offered for everyone's amusement:

Yours truly made the nincompoop error in realizing that, unlike toilets, urinals must have their water sources shut off before repairs can be made! One at the office wouldn't shut off so I rushed into action. 90 minutes of clean up and one change of clothes later, and I am now that much smarter about commercial plumbing.

Mach1 and Auriaprottu repped this.
  18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Urinals? Yeah, props for even volunteering. I'd have said I didn't know anything about fixing them...

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That says he feels he's going to/can do something positive here, and in two seasons (that's his contract. Assuming he expects to be gone after that).

I noticed he didn't get the star treatment that the incoming players got. Even Spike's arrival was higher profile. Might be COVID. I can't remember if they met FDB at the airport or not- might have been only the name players, not staff.

20. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm gonna lay this one on Coivd. Under normal times the 17's would have happily conspired to do something, and Heinze's arrival wouldn't have featured a quarantine period.

Auriaprottu repped this.