Playing forward

Discussion in 'Player' started by thedefender23, Nov 3, 2004.

1. thedefender23

thedefender23 Member

Oct 5, 2002
    CP
    What does it take to be a good forward?

2. Ben16

Ben16 New Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Georgia
    speed, good touch, an eye for runs and stuff like that, and cuteness (the ability to finish or find finishing opportunitys from nothing).

3. nvan_football

nvan_football New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Vancouver,BC,Canada
    Ben16 is right + ability to receive the ball from your back (don't turn your back to an opponent's goal it is gonna cost you seconds)The other important thing is speed. According to your nickname you're defender, so if you want to switch your position on striker I strongly suggest you to work on speed endurance, explosive starts, anaerobic condition an so on.

4. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    Bingo. It's all about speed, power, and touch as a forward. Most important of the three I think is touch. You need to be able to confidently recieve passes of all varieties, from lofty lobs to shot-like daisycutters, and turn it into a goal scoring opportunity. The speed and the power are also important...power really meaning strength... the strength to muscle a defender or two off the ball, and protect your dribbling moves. Speed is obvious.

Finding the open man is another VERY important aspect, if you're a non-selfish forward it could be the most important. Having the confidence in your touch for a light aerial cross, or a well timed and placed back pass from the line are crucial.

Mentally, it's important to keep your cool. It's VERY VERY easy to miss an open goal from 10 feet because you shoot it WAY too hard and lean back too much, etc. Concentraing on the task at hand instead of going balls-out to crush every shot will help the clinicality (sp) of your finishing.

5. Achillies

Achillies New Member

Aug 19, 2003
    And an ability to notice the offsides trap!

6. yourself

yourself New Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Tucson
    If your trying to learn the basic tactics of being a forward, (what runs to make, how quickly, when to do them, etc.) you might try playing FIFA. (the video game) Especially the new one, 2005. The forwards make some pretty decent runs.

7. belfrageisapimp02

belfrageisapimp02 New Member

Feb 22, 2004
    its all about being a target forward, even if your not the biggest guy like me

8. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Being a forward is mostly about timing your runs. Plain and simple.

9. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think to be a good forward you need to be able to read the game well and create space and also hold up the ball when needed. You do need to be quick to be upfront. But i think if you can read the game well its not essential.

Its all about making runs and creating space. And of course having an eye for goal and the ability to finish shots from all angles. Also getting in and following up other peoples efforts.

appleCORR

10. hkeat

hkeat New Member

Sep 30, 2004
    Malaysia
    No one mentioned striker's instinct... IMO, it plays an important role too to create something out of the impossible.

11. theblondsoccerstar

theblondsoccerstar New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    UT, USA
    two words: watch offsides :D

it gets me every time. ive had my share of goals that didn't count because of offsides.

12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    It's all about movement and finishing ability. ie, movement to get into positions, receive the ball and be one step ahead of the defense. Obviously you need to be good at finishing in any situation. It requires a lot of instinct and you need to think several moves ahead of yourself. You need to react instantly and know what to do, a decent defense will not give you the time to think or mess about.

13. furyboy999

furyboy999 New Member

Oct 16, 2004
    Like it's been said, speed, good touch, and the ability to get past somone if needed.

Also another key is Good field Vision, and quick touchs.

14. Antonio498

Antonio498 New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    There are three key pieces of advice that should be taken into account as a forward;

1. Good first touch

2. Shoot early

3. Keep it low

These could be expanded to include anticipation/runs as well as touch, and perhaps knowing how to finish given different situations instead of keeping all shots low, but these are generally three skills that make a good forward.

Good first touch decreases time defenders have to make a challenge, and gives you more time to place a shot/pass. This also involves knowing what kind of touch to take at a given time - when controlling a ball with space ahead of you, it is better to control the ball infront of you so you can run onto it, whereas in a crowded penalty area it is vital that the ball is controlled dead at your feet. Avoid getting the ball stuck under your feet.

Shooting early has two advantages. The first is that it reduces reaction time for defenders and goaleepers alike. A quick turn and finish or a first time shot gives the keeper less time to set himself and to predict your next move. It also means defenders have less time to get in a block or tackle. Strikers who take too many touches often find themselves crowded out. The second advantage is that it can actually improve the finish. When you have half a second to shoot you do it without thinking - therefore there is no time for indeciciveness. When you are clean through on goal with no defenders for twenty yards, you have more time to weigh up how to finish the chance and can end up choosing the wrong option. Be decisive - know where you want to put the ball and put it there. This is often when you see players clean through on goal fluff the chance - the cannot decide what to do and end up not doing anything. Eventually this will become second nature - practice shooting and finishing, and get forward in practice matches to increase confidence.

Finally, when finishing it is generally better to keep shots low to the ground - it is more difficult for a keeper to get down to a low shot than it is for them to spring up to a lofted one. When you have the space, open yourself out and strike through the ball to gain the best placement. This also applies to vollying the ball. Keep your eye on the ball (again especially with vollying) as you strike it, to reduce the Of course, if you have a hammer of a shot you may just opt to aim for the large area in the top corner of the goal, but asa general rule of thumb, finishes (not long shots) are usually more effective when hit along the ground.

One more thing that helps a striker is confidence. Hitting the net regurlaly improves self belief as well as technique. Also be relaxed - don't try to whack the stiches out of the ball when shooting and be sure to look up when you have the ball at your feet - you need to know where you are going to place the shot or who you are going to pass to, or most of the technique described above becomes irrelevant!

Hope this helps :D

15. The Canandien WizKid

Oct 11, 2004
    Mississauga, ont, Ca
    Well i've been coached from being a defensive mid to left stiker so heres what i was taught.
    1.shot
    2.pass
    3.dribble
    1.Learn to and when to dribble
    - still use the same list above.
    2. Always know where you are in relation to the net
    3. Know your strengths, not all strikers are fast, which means you need to alter the way you play. Learn to take the shot early, or try and work on your accelteration so you can get those vital 2 inches to shoot.
    4.Know when to laugh at yourself
    -the worst thing you can do is be hard on yourself, everyone has bad days
    5. Keep your touch warm
    - if your not getting the ball enough drop to the central midfield, and hold the ball, this will keep you warm and aid the attack.
    6.Being a striker has larger responsibilities than just scoring, moral is usually centered around a forward or keepers performance. This is where flair comes in, if you beat a defender with flair, you'll get your team pumped.
    7.Having your back to the net might not be a bad thing
    -individual skill, strickers need to beable to deal with tough defenders, quick turns, and tricks can get you faceing the net in a better position than just standing 180 degrees, midfielders are the ONLY ones who don't have to worry about this because they usually can make a decent back pass.

16. DOWNEY11

DOWNEY11 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    North London
    Ok, I don't know if this is too obvious, or if it is going to offend people or anything, but you have to have ability/talent. Full stop.

Being a striker is not really something you can teach. You can pick up individual things, but you kind of need something to build on from the off.

However, if I were to say one thing you need initially, it's unfathomable confidence. Not to the point of arrogance, but confident to go through 20 games without scoring and still keep the faith!

17. soccermainiac2003

soccermainiac2003 New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    i reccomend watching goal highlights and studying what the people do

18. Viking Striker

Viking Striker New Member

Dec 4, 2004
    For starters, it all depends on how your team plays. How many forwards do you have? Do you go all the way to the bye-line or make outside crosses? Inside or sideline runs?

19. htafc

htafc New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    England
    so do i

20. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    do you really need speed to be a striker. look at ruud van nistlerooy. i mean what if you have everything besides speed would it be that bad. as long as you can put it in the back of the net right. this is a quesiton.