Playing college soccer

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by thedefender23, Oct 18, 2004.

1. thedefender23

thedefender23 Member

Oct 5, 2002
    CP
    I'm a junior in high school and i'm hoping to play college in soccer. What step(on/off the field) should i take to make sure that i'll be playing for a college team in a couple years?

2. DownSouth

DownSouth New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    NUMBER 1 - Focus on your academics and making good grades! That will open a lot of doors and possibilities to you that you may not otherwise get. There are a lot of good players out there, and good academics will set you apart and give the coach options.

As for soccer, work hard and getting and staying fit, and practice your skills and game. Scheduled team practice alone may not be enough - go to extra practices or at least run off the ball and work with the ball on your own.

Start thinking about and researching schools and coaches about the time you hit high school - start contacting schools no later than the start of your Junior year. Tell the coaches you have an interest in what major tournaments you will be playing in, your team, jersey number, coaches name, and schedule when you get it. Going to camps at schools your are interested in doesn't hurt

3. Cou5

Cou5 New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    right here...
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Follow this man's advice...

4. thedefender23

thedefender23 Member

Oct 5, 2002
    CP
  5. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    If you're any good, go pro and skip college. The coaching in college soccer is worse than most rec leagues for U-8 teams.

6. big bonnie

big bonnie New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Follow this man's advice...

7. outofbounds

outofbounds New Member

Apr 30, 2004
    BIG bonnie weighs in AGAIN with his stellar advice!!!!! Don't be bashing coaches b/c you didn't have the discipline to get it done at the college level. I mean- (if you were a pro)- would you be jet setting around the world with Ricky Williams??? The pro's take discipline and commitment- something most young players lack!!!

8. big bonnie

big bonnie New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    highlight where I bashed a coach please. Stop puttin words in my mouth and remove my testicles from yours. And I wouldn't mind seeing the world with Ricky Williams, seems like a fun, easy going guy. Would you wanna join us, I mean you could follow me around and try to bash me in person, instead of hiding behind your computer screen. :)

9. DownSouth

DownSouth New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    This is only good advive (in my opinion of course) if you are one of the top 4-5 prospects on the U17 National Team. Look at the MLS salaries - and it is not easy for Americans to get into the top international leagues. Will you be set for life after playing there for 10 years? If not you will have to work for a living, which darn near requires a college education these days. I am not a huge fan of the way college soccer "prepares" players for the proffesional level, and some college coaches are great, some are lousy, and some in the middle - but you have to consider your entire life/career not just the playing years.

Just my opinion, take it or leave it....