Playing Bruce in Columbus

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by kinstlinger, Nov 16, 2004.

1. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    Goalkeepers (4): Jon Busch (Columbus Crew, MLS), Joe Cannon (Colorado Rapids, MLS), Matt Reis (New England Revolution, MLS), Kasey Keller (Tottenham Hotspur, England).
    Defenders (5): Oguchi Oneywu (Standard Liege, Belgium), Jonathan Spector (Manchester United, England), Ryan Suarez (Los Angeles Galaxy, MLS), Dan Califf (Los Angeles, MLS), Chris Albright (Los Angeles, MLS),
    Midfielders (9): Bobby Convey (Reading, England), Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado, MLS), Brian Mullan (San Jose Earthquakes, MLS), Clint Dempsey (New England, MLS), Steve Ralston (New England, MLS), Ramiro Corrales (San Jose), Ricardo Clark (MetroStars), Landon Donovan (San Jose), Kyle Martino (Columbus Crew, MLS).
    Forwards (4): Eddie Johnson (FC Dallas, MLS), Brian Ching (San Jose, MLS), Brian McBride (Fulham, England), Jeff Cunningham (Columbus, MLS).

I'm looking over the roster here, and it's the most interesting USMNT pool since the Confed Cup last summer.

If you were Bruce, what would you create out of the names above ?
    Here's mine:
    GK - Cannon. I want to see how he performs in against a more intent foe.

Defense - Oneywu, Spector, Suarez, Albright - Never thought I'd type those 4 names in, but let's have some fun.

Midfield - Clark, Donovan, Martino & Dempsey. I used to think Martino was the next big thing. Also want to see what Clark has on a bigger stage.

Forwards - EJ and Ching. Let 'er rip, boys..

2. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    GK: Keller, so as to help him knock the rust off
    Defense: Does it really matter? Califf and Albright are shyte, so much so that whoever plays with them may look bad. This is possibly the worst defense assembled in years; Barely All-MLS quality.
    Midfield: Send Convey back to Reading immediately, if not sooner so that he can earn his salary and part of his obese transfer fee. Start the youngsters in Dempsey, Martino, Clark, and Donovan
    Forward: Let Macca knock the rust off, and uhhhhhhhhh, pair him with E Johnson.

3. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh

4. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    He's listed as one and he fits a need the US has at central mid. Gibbs, Sanneh, Twellman, and probably Gaven are there too.

5. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where'd you get the roster?

6. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    I second the question as to your source. But, taking your word as truth, why would Bruce bring in Rico Clark, but not Eddie Gaven?

7. ayers

ayers Member

Jul 9, 2002
    somewhere
    I am assuming this is from Soccer America?

It's speculated by some posters that Gaven is with the baby nets, who probably need him more.

see https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150237

A few Crew players are probably only there for pratice and some senior players may be there for similar reason or to help the young ones integreted into the system.

Would like to see Martino get a chance to prove himself. But that might come at the expanse of pushing Donovan out of midfield (or at least out of the AM spot) and into the front. I personally don't mind that, since Donovan's more of a 9 1/2 and can play there, too. But some BSers would probably want Donovan to be cemented at #10 already. Could be a fun game to watch with all the new guys.

Your obssession over young Bobby is astonishing, to say the least.

8. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally don't think Martino belongs in AM - he's still too much of a light weight, gets knocked down way too easily in MLS. He absolutely needs to bulk up some. Plus, I still feel he holds the ball too long.

But what do I know?

9. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I agree.. Awsome line up that I predict will show good results tonight. I would like to see Esky come off the bench instead of McBride or Cunningham, but other than that, great line up. Martino might be a little suspect too, but this is a good opportunity to see if he can prove some of us naysayers wrong. Overall, Its a good look at the future of the team..