Players you once had respect for but lost through their actions

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dark Savante, Dec 11, 2005.

1. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Rooney's petulance has been cut down on a LOT in recent months, surely anybody who watches him play regularly can attest to that. Petulance is something that is found in a lot of young players, Henry had it in spades up until relatively recently.

2. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    talk about being in denial. perez is the only reason real madrid stink.

3. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    no wonder man utd stink. youve gone downhill fast since rooney was bought.

4. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Another one will be Davids. He used to be my favorite player. After he failed the drug test, I lost respect for him.

5. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Please explain why do you despise Kaka.

6. Serb

Serb New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Southern Ontario
    It's not just him.

I hate natural born winners like him and C. Ronaldo. :mad:

7. edgarr

edgarr BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 31, 2005
    Vieri He Is A Traitor But I Still Admire Him He Was A Great Player

8. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Okay about my lack of respect towards C. Ronaldo:

First of all I am disgusted how he got into this mess in the first place, why did he sink that low just to find pleasure.

Another reason why I don't respect...which I forgot to mention, is because of the statements he said towards Ronaldinho and his dribbling tricks. That was initially what made me lose respect.

9. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Okay, I don't respect C. Ronaldo either, but, how can you hate Kaka????

Kaka is a representative of UN Foods for Hunger, he is helping millions of children in third-world nations to put an end to hunger. He shows respect to everyone. Finally, how do you know he is a natural born winners. Do you know what obstacles typical brazalians have to go through to make it pro?

10. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Kaka wasn't exactly poor when he was young if I remember correctly.

11. Chinky24

Chinky24 Member+

Real Madrid
    Dec 26, 2004
    Nashville
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think you don't have a clue about what you're talking about. How can you blame him for a media fvck-up? Do you know Cristiano Ronaldo in person? Do you hang out with him? Do you play soccer with him? If not, then you know just about as much as everyone else, which puts you in no position to argue that he is a rapist.

Admit it, you're just jealous of his touch on the ball and his ability with women.

And no, moron, Beckham isn't the reason for RM's "failure".

12. Chinky24

Chinky24 Member+

Real Madrid
    Dec 26, 2004
    Nashville
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Put your foot in your own mouth often?

13. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Peter van Vossen

Not that I had a great deal of respect for him at first but he signed for Ajax somewhere in the mid nineties and right after that he told a journalist that his biggest dream was to play for Feyenoord one day.

14. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    He got a ridiculous sentence, probably only because he was a high profile football player. :mad:

15. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I am suprise that you said Becks isn't one of the reasons of RM's failure, seeing that you are also a RM's fan. Tell me what he brought to the table when he came to the team. Free Kicks? Zidane and RC already know how to do those very well. Crosses? Figo knows how to do those very well. Long Balls? I'll have you know that long balls are not very effective in la liga, and in the CL. RM was not very compatible with long balls. He is a pop icon, so he has to always start, and I beleive that is what is hurting the team. Looking forward to your argument.

About C. Ronaldo! First of all this my opinion. Please respect it, don't say I am jealous of him. If I knew C. roanaldo maybe I would have changed my mind. If the media screwed up about his comments to Ronaldinho, then surely they would of appologies to make a good image for their company.

One more thing, did you guys see how he showed the middle finger to the opponen'ts crowd? How can you respect someone who does stuff like that? He should be a role model to little kids, and this is the stuff he does.

Gave me a good argument why I should change my mind?

16. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    How is that any different to (the many) players who scream abuse and swear at referees and linesmen for every decision that goes against them - even when correct? What sort of example does that set (even if we accept the 'role model' position)?

17. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well, I think it is still wrong to do negative gestures to refs, but to the crowd in the stadium is definetly very wrong.

Take ronaldinho for example, when the ref gives him a wrong decision, he goes and tries to talk to the ref in a civilized way, and with a smile.

18. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Thats very interesting. I never knew that. Can you tell me where you learned about this?

19. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    I thought I read it in a Dutch magazine, most likely Voetbal International. But I am sure some Brazilian posters will be able to give you a final answer on this.

20. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I think most people can add Essien to the list. I certainly respected him for his Lyon displays, but unfortunately he has developed into a thug since his move to Chelsea. Two career ending tackles, in which he feigned injury to avoid being send off, then two elbows and a kick against Arsenal. Hell, it looks like he will definitely take over from Vieira as being the dirtiest player in Prem history.

21. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    I also read this in the German news. Apparently he comes from a rich family.

VI is a great magazine btw. I read their webpage (thanks for recommending it silver bullet) regularly now.

22. Chinky24

Chinky24 Member+

Real Madrid
    Dec 26, 2004
    Nashville
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Listen. Here's how it goes.

1. You make a personal attack on Beckham as the cause to a team's failure. Since when was 1 player responsible for everything? That's like saying Hoover was the cause of the Great Depression. Is there a connection? Not visibly (not going to get into a fcking history debate).

2. You make a personal attack on Cristiano Ronaldo as the cause for an unproven crime. Where do you live? Catholic Spain during the Inquisition? By the same logic, dozens of Presidents would've lost their jobs, and many professional athletes wouldn't have a career. Where would Lampard and Ferdinand be now, if everything goes on like you say?

3. Time and time again, ignorant people tend to accuse Beckham of being nothing but a free kick and long ball idiot. He's the England NT captain. Don't you think he knows a bit more about football than just 2 things and losing possession? It seems I need to re-emphasize the fact that Beckham was purchased, from Man U, for his work rate. Not only does he take free kicks and dead balls and play on the right, he also runs around. If you've watched the games in which he played a key part (and Real subsequently won) you'll see how he drifts from left to right and even comes back to help Garcia if need be. His first patch of form for Real in the 03-04 campaign was not bad as a CM. When we lost the hold on the title race, it was because we had ran out of steam from Queiroz's selection policy and our losses in the CL and Copa del Rey.

4. So what if he flicks someone off? Those fans subjected him to abuse before, and it's just like when some players put their fingers to their lips after scoring. Same concept. It's football, not a royal family religious ceremony. If we played soccer the "respectful" way no one would get fouled, no goals would be scored, and the game would resemble a bunch of 12 year olds.

23. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    after watching him against gunners yesterday, i have to agree. essien is gonna get hated by everyone if he doest chill.

24. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I can't say I ever knew enough about him to respect him in the first place, but what I've seen of him this season makes me agree with you. Can I lose respect for someone I never respected in the first place?