Players with High/ Low On-Field IQ

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Sempre, Jul 1, 2005.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    High IQ: Ronaldo.

It was only after he got injured and lost his great physical advantages that we were able to appreciate how smart he plays.

2. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    he picked the worst time to do a mistimed bicycle. and it cost him a goal.

3. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well...he only has one red card for France.....since then he's learned to control it very well and has been a very mature and professional player on the pitch AND off.

4. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Cristiano ronaldo is skillful but has very little end product so I guess you could say he has an on-field low IQ.

5. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Riquelme has a high IQ. Not the fasted guy but always finds the room to either send someone through or get off a good shot. He also looks more composed on the ball than anyone other than ZZ and Ronaldinho.

6. Rui Costa

Rui Costa New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    High IQ:Mauro Silva, Onopko, Lizarazu and a player of whom I'm a big fan, Ballack.

Low IQ:Couto, Baros, Pancaro, Ricardo, Balde and Carvalho also does some stupid things on occasions.

7. gento

gento New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Valencia(Spain)
    The player with the highest IQ I have ever seen is Raul Gonzalez.

8. Rui Costa

Rui Costa New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    High IQ:Vogel, Fabregas, Schneider, Voronin, Karpin, Solano, Djorkaeff, Scholl, Pedro Barbosa, Larsson, Mautinho, Alenichev.

Low IQ:Cesar, Duscher, Diouf, Alpay, Placente, Dida, Barthez, Wiltord, Kanu, Pistone, Angulo, Zebina.

Fabregas is a very clever player.

9. dﮥnny

dﮥnny New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    US
    Low IQ: Ben Olsen

10. HjkF50

HjkF50 New Member

May 1, 2005
    NOVA
    Low- Djimi Traore ( love that maradona he tried when he scored his own goal)

High - Andrea Pirlo , doesnt win 50/50 balls, not a tackler, not fast, not big, but in the end he is such a vital piece to Milans puzzle b/c of his beautiful passes

11. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    How did that mistake have anything to do with football intelligence?

12. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto
    High - Francesco Totti, I have always said that he has been a Top 5 world class player for the past few years BUT I think he is the best player in the world WITHOUT the ball. Some of the things he does and his positioning is just world class, he truly has a high football IQ.

Low - Pauleta (Portugal), I have never seen a striker so out of position and completely zoned out like Pauleta is half of the time.

13. SFC

SFC New Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Portugal
    I don't think that's so much a case of him being stupid, but more a case of him being too young.

He's learning, and you gotta agree that he has already reduced the flashy/inconsequent stuff a little...

14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    High IQ - Ruud van Nistelroy - he changes a team's defensive gameplan with his movement off the ball, his passes and hold up play are always very good, he's not creative like most other high IQ players, but he's the smartest forward in today's game. He has an instinct both for where the ball will end up, and when and where the defender(s) will show up.

Low IQ - Djbril Cisse, he's an absolute nutter, he's got amazing pace, amazingly powerful shot, but all he wants to ever do is shoot from 30yrds... he wasted his talent.

Is it just me or has Ronaldinho not been mentioned? He's so ingenious in attack its frightening, his improvs are just jaw dropping... I think Deco deserves honorable mention as well.

15. SFC

SFC New Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Portugal
    Smart on the pitch

Ricardo Carvalho, small stature, not particularly fast... but superb deffender
    Deco... ask any Porto or Barça fan
    Rui Costa... still has great vision
    Kaká... that pass to Crespo in the CL final defines him
    Filipo Inzaghi... opportunistic son of a b***
    Henrik Larsson... same as above
    Frank Lampard... superb vision and passing

Dumb:

Quaresma... too dumb to fulfill his immense potential. Doesn't know when to pass the ball, always tries to do something more...

Denilson... same as above

16. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto
    I agree with you completely on them all. Especially with Inzaghi, I am Italian and I was never a big Inzaghi fan and always complained when he got the starter over certain other strikers BUT he always seemed to find the back of the net and create chances out of nothing. He seems to need more chances to score than a guy like Vieri but he also creates alot more than a Vieri type striker.

17. HjkF50

HjkF50 New Member

May 1, 2005
    NOVA
    cmon any professional should know not to do that in front of your own goal

18. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree with all except Carvalho.

High: Deco
    Low: Costinha

19. Roffadam

Roffadam Red Card

Jun 21, 2005
    Rotterdam, NLD
    wehehe...i bet you had uncorked your bottle of wine :D

20. gremista

gremista New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary
    High

Djorkaeff
    Platini
    P.McGrath
    Redondo
    Ardilles
    J.Rep
    Klinsman
    Mueller
    Soueness
    Socrates

21. AliKarimi

AliKarimi New Member

May 10, 2005
    Tehran
    anyone thats good has a high soccer IQ

22. AliKarimi

AliKarimi New Member

May 10, 2005
    Tehran
    just rewatched that, it didnt happen

23. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

Of course it did. I've seen it!

24. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I don't know if anyone posted it already but there has been a study in Germany recently, where they've SCIENTIFICALLY proven, that in order to score goals, you have to be as dumb as possible, because the less brain activity you have in any given situation, the more likely you are to score. Didn't surprise me though, I mean look at all those great strikers and show me someone who can do an expansion into partial fractions. I say way to go Rooney.

25. astar24

astar24 New Member

Jun 27, 2002
    First off I would like to start by saying this is an interesting topic.
    I agree that although it takes a great deal of intelligence or smarts to
    play football at the professional level, there are players with High football IQs and players with Low football IQs.

But the one thing I do not agree with most posters about is the fact that
    physically inferior players with less speed; endurance; strength than the
    average footballer are given more credit and are seen as more intelligent players because of the lack of natural ability they posess.

I believe that it does take a great deal of intelligence to compensate on the field for talent or ability that you do not have but I also feel that players that are physically superior also deserve credit for being intelligent players. The reason for this is just because a player is naturally gifted does not mean they will make it far in the professional game and it takes intelligence to know the strengths that you posess and use it correctly in the right situations against the opponents.

That is the main reason I do not feel that players with amazing dribbling, shooting skills and speed should not be overshadowed by slower; physically inferior athletes when discussing a brains on the field.

Basically, a slower less physically capable player can be indeed smart and make wise decisions on the field but that is not necessarily the reason for their success in their career it also has a lot to do with the players around them that help make their lack of ability go unnoticed.