Players who will achieve all-timer status after this Cup

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: General' started by Excape Goat, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Well, I didn't even know that Diouf was still playing. As someone who doesn't follow the Premier League closely, I consider Diouf someone who played a good torunament in 2002, never to be heard of again since then.

2. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

So in your estimation, germany's all time XI starter is probably not an all-timer? :rolleyes:

The answer to the question should be a yes because it's not Klose anyway.

Rummenigge (you know, best player in the world in the early 80s, before Maradona) Seeler, Voeller, Klinsmann would, and it's likely that Fischer and Heynckes would also be there before Klose. In Fischer's case he was around at the same time as Mueller, but he's the second most prolific scorer in the Bundesliga and had 32 goals in 45 national team games. Heynckes is 3rd all-time bundesliga scorer and in the top 5 european club competition goalscorers.

3. Big_Phil

Big_Phil New Member

May 5, 2010
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said Klose wasn't an all-timer at club and int'l level, just at int'l level.

Having been called out on this twice, I concede the point. I didn't see any of these others play and have only heard about them. Thus, I threw out Klose name considering he is tied for number two on the all-time World Cup scoring chart. But I realize now that I forget some of the greats...Point well taken...Klose shouldn't be in the Germany all-time XI, but I would say he is a all-timer in German int'l football...

4. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I think you're specifically talking about last season but I'm talking overall of Forlan's time there at Atletico. Yes Maxi was pretty bad at the end but when Forlan first arrived he was captain and he still scored goals and contribuited. Simao was inconsistent last season but he hasn't been a bad player for them since joining.

Yes Perea is horrible.

My point was that Forlan has been able to perform very well for a side when he isn't the sole focal point for everything which is what the other poster was claiming.

5. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Actually, I'd say it's quite the opposite. Forlán has been able to perform very well through solo super-heroics, in spite of having a mess of a self-destructive side.

6. bobbiecrew redded

Jul 16, 2010
    Blanco was for sure one of the guys to remember! hehe...

I still would say Suarez and Forlan. And don't to forget Muller from Germany!

7. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Good to see some are starting to get an idea.

8. jus2nang

jus2nang Member

Dec 12, 2005
    North London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I really wonder why people think Diouf had such a good 2002 WC. I personally don't remember him standing out. Senegal did well and played some good football (epitomized by their goal against Denmark) but I don't remember thinking that Diouf was particularly outstanding. He was decent, he didn't even score a single goal in the entire tournament, so for a striker it's hardly amazing.

9. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    100% agree. I don't know what the guy was talking about.

10. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Conen better than Klose? He only starred in '34. You could make a case for Rahn being better than Klose. At least he won a World Cup and scored two in the 1954 final.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It wasn't? :confused:

12. leiria22

leiria22 New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    boy thats a tough one, no one really stands out.
    Only David Villa really stands out

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BQDDIrZeH4"]YouTube- World Cup Look Back.avi[/ame]

Great video

13. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diego Maradona

:p

14. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    No need to "make a case", Helmut Rahn was an unbelievable player and one of the most underrated footballers in history.

15. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    He got some publicity - he made the all-star team after all, and made Pelé's list of the "Greatest Living Football Players" after the WC. Now, if this was deserved is another question, but at least he was perceived as a star player for some time.

16. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    I think it was his hair.

17. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Conen's career was cut short due to illness and war, but I see no reason to doubt, that he was a much more outstanding player than Klose. Klose is a decent player, but hardly a legendary figure.

18. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    The best player the men's team of SG Blaubach-Diedelkopf ever had!

19. SectionX

SectionX Member

May 27, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    tomas brolin has legend status, what a player, sweden is the greatest!

20. SportsGuru

SportsGuru New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Forlan i bet.

21. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep... we just need to figure out what they're the greatest at........

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    This year Cachabacha became a legend, winning both the Europa League with los Colchoneros and being the best player in the WC.

23. SportsGuru

SportsGuru New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yeah i agree

24. Pipitinha

Pipitinha New Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Center of Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think the only one that can be consider a world all-timer in his position is Casillas. His record is awesome. For sure he is one of the best GK ever, if not the best. He is already in the status of the likes of Zoff or Yashin. And he is still relatively young for a GK. He has time to be in another Euro and World Cup, and he will beat Zubizarreta as Spain most capped player.

Other players like Klose, Forlan or Xavi are great players, but I do not think that they might be considered as the best in their position ever. I do not think Klose and Forlan are in the same status as Pele, Ronaldo (the brazilian, of course) or Mueller. Or Xavi as the likes of Beckenbauer or Cruyff.

AWESOME.

25. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    For me it would be Xavi and Mueller. Casillas and Snjeider are close also.