Players to look at for Next Season

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by owendylan, Aug 16, 2002.

1. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    With a playoff berth getting more and more unlikely most agree that DC's roster needs some major overhauling in the off season. I don't really want to look at who should go or stay but players that we might want to go after. Whether they are current college players we should draft, other players in the league we should trade for or foreign players that can help the team let's start a list and try to be somewhat realistic (Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Michael Owen or Patrick Viera are not coming).

I will start with Angelo Di Livio. Yeah at 36 he's a little long in the tooth but he did play in the WC 2002 and is now plying his trade for a C4 team in Italy after Fiorentina went bankcrupt. A great midfielder.

Lee Sharpe. Former pretty boy and star at Man. United before injury has curtailed, but no ended his career. Currently on a pay as you play contract with Exeter in the English 3rd division. Some good skill and pedigree. Don't know how much his injuries have slowed him down but could be a good flank player.

2. erikfootland

erikfootland New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    new players?

Personally, I don't really think we need an overhaul. Lee Sharpe would be fun, and his Elvis impersonations after he scores a goal would be well worth watching him play, but I don't think it would be too likely. In goal Rimando is incredible, our back line consists of Nelson and Pope in the middle, both of which are very strong, Reyes on the outside, which is great, because he gives us a lot of flank play. On the other side we have Preadeaux, who I really don't notice at all. He hasn't seemed to do anything terrible this season, but still does not seem like an impact player. In the middle we have Etch, who only plays incredible or terrible. He is winding down his career, but I still love watching him play. Even if he only does show his brilliance every few games. Richie I can't stand, and I think he's only good for grabbing onto jersey's and going for a ride. He is a terrible player, telegraphs all of his passes, and fouls in crucial places on the pitch when he shouldn't be fouling at all. I was so relieved when we got rid of him, and now we have him back and it's driving me crazy. We could find plenty of other guys who can play defensive mid. It really is not that much of a demanding position. Out wide we have Convey and Olsen. Convey is getting better and better as time goes on, and Olsen is the man. He has to be one of my favorite players of all time, and being that him and Etch are such good friends, I think that Etch and Olson both get on fire when they are playing together. Up top we have Moreno and Quaranta, with Q2 as a back up. There I think we are set, but I wouldn't mind trying to trade for Wolff, being that he is on the outskirts with Bradley. He would bring a lot of excitment to DC, but I don't think we would be able to trade away for him. The only crucial acquisition that I see happening in the offseason is Gazza coming in, which would likely move us to to a 3-5-2, with Nelson in the center, Pope and Reyes on the outsides, Williams, Gazza and Etch in the middle with Convey and Olson on the outsides, and Moreno and Quaranta up top. Personally, I think that would be an incredible lineup. But almost all of those players are suseptible to injury, and I don't see more than a few games a season with that lineup in the game. But wow, what a lineup it would be. I know that Gazza coming into DC would get a lot of people angry, but we all know how well Etch plays when he has a supporting role. You would think that Etch and Gazza in the middle would cause controversy because they are both playmakers, but we have seen how well Etch has played in All star games with magic in the middle with him. Granted, that is all star games, but him and Moreno cause a lot of problems for other teams. Etch also was quoted as saying, "We need to get Gazza" or something along those lines. But he wants Gazza at United. Once you have the magic, you always have it, as Etch and El Pibe have shown. The real question is form. If Gazza could get into shape, which I think he is actually determined to do, then signing him, and having everybody healthy would make for an incredible lineup. Of course we would have to wait till next season for this, but good things come to those who wait. Sorry for such a long response. I would love to hear what you all have to say about this.

3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    erikfootland

While Williams has his faults he is servicable. Second you should try playing D-Mid sometime. Usually you are man marking a ,superior skill wise, player and you bust your a$$ trying to stay with them. I look easy becasue if done right you don't notice until the end of a game. ("Hey where was Cien, El Pibe, Novak, Etch today? I hardly noticed him.)

While Gazza might add a spark to the pitch he would have to clean up his drinking issues more before they take a chance on him.

4. erikfootland

erikfootland New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    Do you know of his current drinking issues? I know he used to have a lot of problems, but I thought he went int rehab last year or something? I saw the pictures of him in training with DC United, and he looked pretty trim to me. Of course you can't tell much by a picture, but seeing some of his older one's, when he really let himself go, he looks a hell of a lot better now. I think it was smart for DC to pass on him this season, and say, "let's talk after the season is over", and off the field issues are huge, which is why I think they wanted to give that window of time to see what he does inbetween then, to see if he continue's to train and get in shape, to see if he is still an alcoholic, etc. What is his current status with his drinking problem?

5. erikfootland

erikfootland New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Arlington, VA

I also thought that Namoff did a better job when he played D-mid. Richie doesn't have to worry about getting into the attack at all, and should probably stay as far away from it as possible. And yes, I do play in the center mid, and often times at D-mid, and while it's not the easiest of jobs, you really only have to worry about that one guy, which simplifies the job a whole lot.

6. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doing shots after the game with the team points to the fact that he is not recovered. Shots, in my opinion, are much different than having a few social drinks. I am very disheartened with how this whole thing went, and would very much like to see Gazza with the team, but it won't happen unless he gets his priorities straight. This league is far more image conscious than the other American sports leagues where there seems to be a new murder/drug/drunk driving/assault case every week. So until he sets himself to "toe the line" he will be amazing fans in other countries.

7. erikfootland

erikfootland New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Arlington, VA

Doing shots after the DC United game he went to? Or doing shots after some of his games in Europe? I actually heard that he showed up to a bar once still in his uniform, head to toe, including his boots. There is no doubt that he was an alcoholic, but is he still? Have you heard anything lately about him abusing? Was this doing shots thing recently, or in the past?

8. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it hard to keep up with a faster, better play. That is where I was going with that. Typically a D-Mid is not as talented naturally as compared to the player he is marking. I thought Namoff did fine as a D-Mid as well. I play all 11 postions and find D-Mid to be tough.

It was the post game get together after the New England game I believe.

9. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Well I think a lot of people would say once an alcoholic always an alcoholic. While Gazza's drinking is always a fun and interesting subject. I find it hard to believe that we can't come up with other players that we might want to see play for DC next season. We will have a bunch of players being jettisoned. Maybe not starters but our bench will need to be filled out with better players. who should they be? Anyone anyone,? Bueller?

10. notebook

notebook Member

Jun 25, 2002
    I think the improvement priorities for next year are central midfield and forward, a large target forward would be particularly helpful. We need additional depth at a number of positions, but I think these are the priorities.

The central midfield play has been miserable this year and we need replacements for both Etcheverry and Williams. They still have their moments and have had long, productive careers, but I don't seem them as part of the next great DC United team.

We would look good at forward if Moreno and Quaranta are both in form next year, but I think the prospects of that are shaky. Quaranta has shown some early signs of being injury prone and I have my doubts whether Moreno will ever return to his previous form. We need some insurance at this position in case one or both of these guys can't perform next year.

The question is how do we get the guys we need?

TRADE
    Pope - The only trade worthy player I would be willing to part with is Eddie Pope. However I am not sure of his contract terms or his willingness to leave the DC area. If we can trade him, perhaps we could work a trade with Columbus or the MetroStars for one or more players like Edson Buddle, Brian Maisonneuve, Duncan Oughton, or Andy Williams.

DRAFT
    We have the top pick and hopefully an impact player is available at the central midfield or forward position. We will know more once we see which players decide to come out early. Ideally someone like Ricardo Clark comes out.

INTERNATIONAL
    Hopefully this wide field is one where Ray Hudson excels. I would actually kind of like to see the Gazza acquisition work out for next year if he can still play. We need help in central midfield and it sounds like he would add some pizzazz that is sorely lacking right now. If he is not the right guy, hopefully Ray can turn up some other "gems".

11. erikfootland

erikfootland New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    I think that we can get rid of Lazo Alavanja, he seems to be lazy and doesn't seem to contribute much when he get in. While I can say that I have played against Chino at the youth level, which I think is pretty cool, he doesn't seem to have what it takes either. The coaches seem to like his work ethic though, so I don't think they will get rid of him either. But if they did, I couldn't see him joining another MLS team. He just doesn't seem to be up to that level yet. I think that Curtis is a good sub off the bench to have, which makes us able to send Lassiter packing. Again. McKinley is a veteran to the league, but is a big hack, so we should probably start looking for new options for him as well. I feel that Prideax is expendable as well. I don't want to say we should cut him already, but I think that the plan for Zambrano is to attempt to help us out for the few games remaining, then send him packing as well. He's more or less a replacement player for the rest of the season because Quaranta is out. As for these players replacements...Well, I'm not really sure of what subs we should trade for subs. That's kind of a complicated question, cause I don't think we could get any quality players for these guys. Maybe some kind of a deal for a Prideaux/Alavanya combo. I don't think too many of the other guys would get anybody exciting. Maybe just clear some room for some draft picks or something. If we are lucky we could get a few picks for some of these guys.

12. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I'd like to see Vaca take over for Marco, even if Etch stays. Forget the poetry about passing the torch to the next potentially great Bolivian, I've been impressed with what I've seen (though admittedly that's not much) and he'd be a great asset to our team.

Dave

13. erikfootland

erikfootland New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    I think that Pope probably has a no trade type clause in his contract. I remember earlier in his career he said that he wanted to stay in DC. After the 98 world cup he wouldn't go to Europe because he wanted to stay in DC, so I don't think he would go anywhere else. Maybe if there were an expansion team someday in Carolina...

14. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the discussion on this is gone but yes, he was observed by fans and the DC coaching staff to be drinking heavily at the Capitol Lounge after the July 27 NE game. Other actions by him indicated that he was pretty smashed when he left.

K

15. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you guys hooked up?

Kim!

16. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    And he fits the (lack of) height requirement since he's well under 5'8''. ;)

17. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    That is one guy I am not that hooked on. Vaca has some skills but he is not what we were led to believe when he came into the league. He also plays more on the wing for Dallas in the games I have seen. OK but I would not want to hand the team over to him.

18. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Remember that he's also young (which probably rules him under Hudson's Law) and has done much better this year than last. With a healthy Ben and Bobby the three of them can compliment each other quite nicely - lots of rotation and attacks coming from all angles.

Of course, none of that will mean anything without a finisher...

Dave

19. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    First, I think we need to forget getting a player with the 1st pick (unless someone like Gibbs or Berhalter or Reyna or Stewart is available in the SD--ala Twellman was) who will be an impact player. We had a 1st pick once--his name was Jason Moore. A year ago the top 2 picks were Chris Carrieri and Ali Curtis. Granted, Gbandi still has a bad wheel but everyone penciled him in as a starter for Dallas right away and it just hasn't happened.

Yes, I want a first round pick who can contribute, someone with a future, someone who (with time) will become a player). But if we get anything more than a good sub, we're either rebuilding OR a proven pro was available.

As for MLS players worth taking a look at, here are some possibilities:
    --Jorge Rodriguez. Salvadoran, defender/D-mid (which might make ABMOD expendable), classy guy, good ball skills. And he's sitting on the bench with Dallas.
    --NE talent. They're going to do some player dumping (and it will have to involve salaries). As I said at the start of the season (one of the few predictions I wasn't wrong with), Clavijo couldn't assemble a team if you let him pick from the WC winners. Besides, it isn't Nicol's people--he'll want to make changes even if they were performing better. Other than Twellman, perhaps anyone on the roster might be available for the right price. I'm not a huge Ralston fan but he's still a good asset.
    --Dante Washington. Local kid and a front-runner. Columbus just barely got under the cap this year with some major dumping. They'll need to dump another starter or two this offseason. Unless they sell McBride or Cunningham, I think Dante will be available cheap.
    --Faria. Scum need cap room. They need to dump an SI (unless they get Berhalter). They need at least a central defender. One of their forwards (most like Faria) will be available for cheap (b/c they want cap room--so they want picks or cheap players in return for him).
    --Wolff. I'm VERY leery of making a run at Wolff. He's never led his team in scoring. He's never played more than 2/3rd of the regular season games (mostly b/c of injuries that make Moreno's health look like an iron-man performance). And you know he'll miss games b/c of National team commitments. Oh--and he makes the maximum so you get him only by moving/releasing Pope, Etcheverry or Moreno (I'm not saying Chicago would make that deal, only that we'd need to free up $270K). But Chicago is trying to move him. And he's a fast striker who's American.
    --Vagenas with LA. In and out of the lineup, good versatility, young.

As for what we need, I'm not arguing we need to clean house. But I do think we need to realistically admit that NONE of our current offensive heavy weights (Moreno, Etcheverry, Olsen, Quaranta, Convey and even Pope on defense) have shown they can play most or all of the season in the past 2-3 years. We're getting killed b/c (a) we can't finish better than a plate of dead worms and (b) the players you'd build a team around (your "allocation" or maximum salary guys) are players who miss a lot of PT for us (mostly b/c of injuries). Until that changes, it doesn't matter who we draft. We've got to have at least 2 guys who are in key roles who you pencil in every night and know they'll not only play, but be someone who carries their weight and then some. Adding 1 or 2 players (unless they have names like: Earnie Stewart or someone who leads MLS in goals) isn't going to be enough UNLESS some of our key injuried guys (Moreno, Quaranta, Convey, Etcheverry on attack) suddenly play healthy and well for an entire season. That's my take.

20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this in another thread. I think it shows where we can clear up cap space for one major player and raises for Bobby and Nicky, who I believe are due, per their contracts:
    Alavanja, Lazo 6 (Gone) 30k
    Alegria, Jose 13 (Keep)
    Ammann, Mike 1 (Retire) 100K
    Convey, Bobby 15 (Keep)
    Curtis, Ali 28 (Keep)
    Etcheverry, Marco 10 (Retire) 175K
    Lassiter, Roy 27 (Gone) 40K
    Mapp, Justin 21 (Keep)
    McGinty, Mike 22 (Keep)
    McKinley, Ivan 8 (Gone) 50K
    Moreno, Jaime 9 (Keep)
    Namoff, Bryan 12 (Gone) 24K
    Nelsen, Ryan 7 (Keep)
    Olsen, Ben 14 (Keep)
    Pope, Eddie 23 (Keep)
    Prideaux, Brandon 4 (Keep)
    Quaranta, Santino 25 (Keep)
    Quintanilla, Eliseo 20 (Keep)
    Reyes, Milton 5 (Keep)
    Rimando, Nick 18 (Keep)
    Villegas, Petter 11 (Keep)
    Williams, Richie 16 (Gone) 100K
    Zambrano, Henry (?) 30K

Now before people go off, my number are approximate and some of the cuts are what I would do. Not what I expect but there is cap space there for at least 1 major move. Some of these moves are no-brainers, I expect Ammann to retire (he is not healing) and Lassiter to be let go. Williams and Etchevery are hunches, only. Villegas may also go but I'm not sure on that one. I would love to see a Berhalter take over as the D-Mid for this team but all that depends on MLS.

21. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    What a lot of these messages say to me, especially Erikfootland's excellent run-through, is that -- healthy -- we have a great team. The problem has been avialability, for the most part because of injuries. This is made all the worse by the salary cap and roster limitations. Marco and Jaime, for example, must make the max, which means that they alone are 1/3 of the entire available cap space. When they aren't playing -- or Eddie, who also must be at the max -- we're hurting because, in this world where you get what you pay for, we aren't able to pay all that much for what's behind them. Anyone know what Ben Olsen's situation has cost us the past two years? I assume he counted under the cap, and that he was making pretty good bucks. How about Mike Amman this year? WIth the cap at $1.7 million or thereabouts, and a three or four guys making $270K or close to it, and a couple of well paid players out with injuries, the resources to pay backups just aren't there.

22. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I think Berhalter is more likely to go to the Scum. They've inquired, they need a central defender (and we don't) and that' is his natural position (not D-mid). A guy I'd like to look at (he's still a good player, is durable, and is very versatile) is Earnie Stewart.

I think we'll keep ABMOD. That was the impression I got from some of Hudson's comments. Also, a portion of Richie's salary is paid by the Scum this year--next year (even without a payraise) we'll pay it all (so it's the equivalent of a pay increase). I think we'll keep McKinley and he'll get a pay raise of $50K (again, Hudson's comments about how he signed McKinley for $50K with a 2 year commitment and a promise to up his pay). I think we owe Prideaux a pay raise as well (again, I think that was part of the reason he was moved from KC and a promise that Hudson made to him).

I think Alegria is gone (unless he gets a green card or we dump Moreno and Nelsen). he's cheap but next year he has to make the side as a SI. He's had his shots this year and just didn't get it done.

I think Villegas, Zembrano and Lassiter are all gone. They were acquired as stop-gap, 1 year measures.

I think Alavanja stays b/c he's cheap and American and knows Hudson's system. The only thing cheaper than him is a college rookie. Curtis is probably in the same category--it's hard to find someone better who's cheaper and willing to be a reserve.

Basically, to clear up room to add a major player, we probably need to dump TWO of our maximum (or near maximum) salaried players. Assume Etcheverry retires (and I think the odds are he will). Then cut Moreno and maybe Olsen. At that point we can pay the increases that are owed and add to maximum players (say: Dalglish and Stewart to give two hypothetical stabs in the dark).

23. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Ignatz, when Etcheverry, Moreno, Olsen and Pope were out, we had cap space of about $600K to put a team on the field. Injuries are part of the game but we must face the reality (especially with Convey and Quaranta having injury problems) that maybe the "core" guys we've built the team around are incapable of being "core" players anymore.

As for being an excellent team, we haven't had a decent finisher since Lassiter was in his prime (and I wasn't a big fan of him then). Since he departed (and his game left him), we've finished inconsistently at best. We're not a great team when healthy. I think Etcheverry and Moreno still have good football left in them but it's very easy to make a convincing argument on evidence that the two (a) will never play again as well as they played in 1999, not even close to it, that their careers are in a substantial decline and (b) neither is capable of staying healthy and playing 2/3rds of our season. In MLS, with salary caps and small rosters and cramped fixtures, you must have players who are iron men--guys who just don't seem to get hurt.

24. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your forgetting the approximate 100K that gets freed up for Ammann. He has already started looking into TV jobs. His salary will pay for some of the raises owed. Alavanja is one of my I would like to cut but doubt it. If Marco retires you may see Ray go after Daglish again. I don't see Earnie Stewart coming back to the states yet. Not next year but maybe the year after. He is still in Holland's top division. Others have pointed out that Alegria becomes a TI not SI next year. So he counts against the cap but not the SI. He has another year to get his green card.

25. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Alegria WILL NOT be a SI next season. He will be TI and count against the roster and salary cap.

PS - I'm going to have serious words with the person who started this rumor! It is SOOOO annoying having to correct everyone all the time!