Players Of The Future?

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by SupaMario, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Riquelme100

Riquelme100 Member

Villarreal
    Argentina
    Jun 30, 2018
    Florentin choked today. Two of the goals was his mistake. The second German goal was so unnecessary, gave wonderful assist to the one guy who’s been terrorizing the defenders. He was horrible today. Also then trying to play the perfect football ruined it. They wanted to pass and pass into the goal. Oh well, good learning experience for these kids

Rattlehead repped this.
  2. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Do you know why we changed goalie before the shootout?

As the saying goes, great offence takes you far in tournament, great defence wins you the championship. We scored 3-5 goals for five consecutive games, only to lost it on penalties in semi due to silly defending.

Burr and Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  3. Loco

Loco BigSoccer Yellow Card

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Would've loved to have won this tournament, but this tourney was not a disaster; a lot of positives that will be built on.

We want to win all games, but one of the points of these tournaments is evolution of young players - which this tournament gave Argentina a lot of.

Patoeber, Leon12, Burr and 3 others repped this.
  4. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Much the better side. Fluid, inventive and several players technically far ahead of that side. Just 2 silly errors gifted the game to that horrible dull team.

Gregoire1, Leon12 and ganapordiego repped this.
  5. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  6. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If most of these pibes play in next u20 WC, I believe we will have the best chance to win it since 2007. The midfield and attack looks so naturally fluid like the 2000s youth teams.

However, I know the defence is a suspect after the first 2 games. Japan might not have many shots on target statistically but they're causing trouble at the back in second half.

Venezuela and Poland never really tested us with anything, neither does Brazil after theiir early chances. Germany on other hands always look dangerous whenever they counter cause they got the speed and also better at aerial duel because they're about twice taller than our players.

Loco repped this.
  7. Riquelme100

Riquelme100 Member

Villarreal
    Argentina
    Jun 30, 2018
    Yep, reminded me of how Argentina was before. Always had good attackers but shit defenders and GK. He is still very young and this is a learning experience for all of them, but hate losing to Germany. Always. They are our kryptonite.

Loco and Rattlehead repped this.
  8. Riquelme100

Riquelme100 Member

Villarreal
    Argentina
    Jun 30, 2018
    Was so annoying though and unnecessary. He tried to be cheeky and got punished.

Albiceleste2010, Loco and Rattlehead repped this.
  9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

True but unlike most of senior team matches againts Germany, this one was actually one sided and very much winnable which makes the lost more frustrating, even if its only u17 level.

We scored 3 and created many close chances , yet they scored as many ,assisted by our players.

Loco repped this.
  10. Loco

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, I felt so much different watching this game than I have watching the senior side. The German NT is so dangerous because they are relentless, tactical, physical and fight for every ball: they are always a tough out. So its natural for South Americans to feel a bit anguish when we play a team like that, but it wasn't so with this Sub-17 team. In fact, I kept thinking that we were going to break the game wide open and go on a 2-3 scoring run in any given 5 mins. I truly believe that we were much more talented, but the more talented side doesn't always win.

I am very bullish on the young talent we have. During the Pekerman youth-system years, it felt like we were a non-ending factory of talent - and then it felt like the talent was more sparse. But now I am feeling how I felt during the Pekerman years. VERY BULLISH.

Rattlehead and SupaMario repped this.
  11. Riquelme100

Riquelme100 Member

Villarreal
    Argentina
    Jun 30, 2018
    Agree. This was a winnable match, but they made less mistakes in the back and had better gk. Good defenders keep you in the match and they just had better defensive structure and better gk. Argentina were attacking with 6 players and Germany were dangerous on turnovers. It happened more frequently in the second half when Argentina overplayed the ball by being too elegant. Germany were more clinical and effective.

12. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We could have scored 5-7 goals if our players had their shooting boots on. Within the first 15 seconds of the match Claudio had a glorious opportunity to make it 1-0. He pressed the goalie, got the ball, rounded him, but was at a weird angle and shot it just wide. We had another where the ball was kicked straight to the German goalie.

This is a good generation of kids. With the immense talent pool from the U20 and this group, if they ascend at the right time, we will continue to be a superpower for the next decade. We are still producing at a very high level and sky is the limit when it comes to our potential.

There also needs to be a direct link from the U17s all the way to the senior side. We have talked about this before at great lengths. This U17 side played in a similar fashion to the senior side. However, there is a giant roadblock in the U20-U23s and that is Masche is still the manager. I seriously have no idea what is game-plan is during each match. He.Needs.To.Go. Let Aimar or Samuel manage these kids. Anybody but Masche will be an upgrade.

As for the game itself, it is unfortunate the game went straight into penalties. Had it gone into ET, I am sure we could've found another goal but our defense was a bit chaotic.

And I do not believe in this notion that the Germans are our kryptonite. Outside of Diego's piss poor showing, the games have always come down to the smallest of margins. A coin flip in many ways. I had pegged Argentina-Germany for the 2022 Final, and I believe we would've won quite convincingly. But they left after the group stages and are currently in disarray while we are sitting at the top of the world with an unlimited number of cracks coming through the ranks.

But let us not dwell too much on this. I would've loved to had finally won this tournament but we put out a good showing and have nothing to be ashamed of and made us giddy for the future.

13. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  14. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Rattlehead and SupaMario repped this.
  15. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ganapordiego repped this.
  16. Loco

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ehhhh - they're just blowing off steam. Ze Germans haven't had much to celebrate in soccer since their WC win in Brazil, which was only 9 years ago. Let the Germans celebrate the U-17 win, for the most parts I don't have negative feelings towards the German soccer fans - they're not delusional like you know which two countries (Penaldo & Mexican'ts). Most Argentineans like Germany.

But as far as Argentina, it shouldn't be too tough to come out of this Sub-17 tourney without feeling bullish about our young prospects. Argentina will finish with the Golden Boot winner (Ruberto) and Echeverri is the player that will be talked about the most.

Youth tournaments are not about winning them, its about gauging the young talent. There are so many clubs that refuse to release players from the youth academies, etc - that the tournament is not a true test of the nation's ability to win this thing. In my humble opinion, Youth tournaments like the Sub-17 are more like the NBA summer league, who cares who what team wins it, its about how did individual players shine?

ganapordiego and Burr repped this.
  17. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And we dont lose to team like Korea & Mexico at WC :laugh: , and out from group stage twice in a row.

18. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't either. I want them to win over France. French fans have been tossers since PSG and us trouncing them.
    I'm venting too. Let me vent ! garrr
    I was really behind and invested in this u17 arg team.

Loco repped this.
  19. Loco

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Trust me, if we had won this shit tournament and somehow managed to win the Gold medal at the olympics, I was going to post the Gladiator meme ("ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?") and declared that Argentina held all available titles right now - which had never been done before. . . but, wasn't meant to be.

And again, the Germans are pretty cool. There are trolls here and there, but they're usually ok - I've already forgiven the Dutch b/c of the Dutch trolls after the WC (Netherland is another cool country that is fine imo). But both, the Germans and the Dutch are getting salty b/c its been a while since their last titles (and for one of them, its been a REALLY long time)

aerez repped this.
  20. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They are good Rivals. Let the French always be trophyless for all eternity.

21. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

Were you really? I mean, you threw in the towel after the first game. I wouldn't really call that "behind and invest."

:ROFLMAO:

Loco repped this.
  22. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Look, it would have been great if the Under 17 had won the tournament, especially as we've never won it before, but this is about giving kids experience of playing tournament football and providing a pathway, hopefully, to the full NT, for the most promising youngsters. Having said all that, I really don't want Germany to win, come on France. Yes, I am that petty.

Rattlehead and aerez repped this.
  23. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #1673 aerez, Nov 29, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
    Woke up at 3 am everyday. I hope you're really just picking on me and teasing me for that. Been watching since early this year. You know I have history of youth tournament investments before you even registered on this board.

24. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I rather neither win, but Germany by far is the lesser evil. I was hoping for Mali to win. French and Germany really were lucky in a lot of scenarios this tournament.

25. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That may true but you did vanished from this board for a long time when we were having a rough patch. But glad to have you back after we won it! :laugh:

Rattlehead and locoxriver repped this.