Players of the 2019-20 season

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by PuckVanHeel, Oct 22, 2019.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    "Barcelona talisman Lionel Messi is the best player in the world ahead of Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo, according to Bundesliga players, who recently voted for a number of awards related to German and world football.

Messi received 54.8 per cent of the votes in the world’s best player category followed by Ronaldo, Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich), Virgil Van Dijk (Liverpool) and Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint Germain).

Former Borussia Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp was voted as the best manager in the world with 74.8 per cent votes ahead of Pep Guardiola (Manchester City), Hans Flick (Bayern Munich), Julian Nagelsmann (RB Liepzig), Diego Simeone (Atletico Madrid) and Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid).

Premier League was chosen as the best football league in the world by the footballers in German top-division with a mammoth 74.4 per cent votes ahead of Bundesliga and LaLiga.

The biggest disappointment of the year, according to Bundesliga players, was Mario Gotze, who recently parted ways with Dortmund."

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/why-virgil-van-dijk-is-the-premier-league-player-of-the-year

AD78, Edhardy and comme repped this.
  2. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Haaland ahead of Jadon Sancho sticks out.

3. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    comme repped this.
  4. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Marca Team of the Season:

Courtois (Real Madrid); Ramos (Real Madrid), Felipe (Atletico), Diego Carlos (Sevilla); Cazorla (Villarreal), Casemiro (Real Madrid), Ocampos (Sevilla); Odegaard (Sociedad); Messi (Barcelona), Benzema (Real Madrid), Moreno (Villarreal)

Second team:

Oblak (Atletico); Navas (Sevilla), Djene (Getafe), Pique (Barcelona), Varane (Real Madrid); De Jong (Barcelona); Valverde (Real Madrid), Raul Garcia (Athletic Bilbao); Oyarzabal (Sociedad), Chimy Avila (Osasuna), Marcos Llorente (Atletico)

Revelations:

Aitor (Levante); Duarte (Granada), Torres (Villarreal), Salisu (Valladolid); Ferran (Valencia), Odegaard (Sociedad), Valverde (Real Madrid), Kubo (Mallorca); Avila (Osasuna), Fernandez (Granada), Fati (Barcelona)

AD78 repped this.
  5. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Sorry, what is the difference with the one I posted? The one is made by the league and the other by the magazine?

I see Valverde replaces Kroos in the second team?

comme repped this.
  6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I actually think yours is right and mine is wrong. I just posted them all here so they are saved for the future.

7. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    I have also heard the XI of the Cadena Cope and the El Día Después program, in which Maldini (Julio Maldonado) collaborates. In both, Jesús Navas is an essential element, which they have forgotten in Marca when betting on a defense of 3 centrals. It is possible that in Marca they have done so because of the difficulty of finding a left side of guarantees; in fact, both sources chose Reguilón for this position (I would consider placing Mendy, because this year, Jordi Alba has had an irregular season). Accompanying Ramos at the center of the defense, the Cope placed Varane and The Day Después Diego Carlos. Felipe had a good form streak, but personally he would not have it as a serious candidate for the ideal eleven. In the goal all the sources that I have seen agree in Courtois.
    As a defensive means, indisputably Casemiro, this season far ahead of Busquets. Speaking of memory, I think that in both sources he is accompanied by Kroos, with Cazorla in one of the two teams (I don't remember which one) and Oyarzábal in the other. Above there is no discussion possible: Ocampos, Benzema and Messi. In the team that Marca proposes, they place Gerard Moreno with good criteria for the gap left by one of the two sides and Odegaard, which surprises me because since the competition resumed it was not the shadow of what he had shown in the first part of the league.
    By the way, I just saw the ideal XI of the Maldini League and if I am not mistaken it is the same one that was proposed in the program The Day Después:
    Courtois; Jesús Navas, Sergio Ramos, Diego Carlos, Reguilón; Casemiro, Cazorla, Kroos; Ocampos, Benzema, Messi.
    In my opinion, at the height of Diego Carlos others such as Salisu or Djené may have been at certain times, but, perhaps I have seen something above Varane.

comme repped this.
  8. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Okay. There are some other discrepancies as well. Early July 2020 (2 July?) Marca placed De Jong among the 'flops' of the season, worldwide (with Hazard, Felix, Griezmann as other PD players) but now he's one of only three Barcelona players highlighted and included in this?

Maybe Barcelona relinquishing the lead when he was out (aggravating already existing imbalances/frailties, despite 'in name' a few good midfield alternatives) helped his stock, changed the perspective on what he did/adjusted to on the pitch, but this was already the situation when they made that 'flop list'. That's quite the turnaround though in a few weeks time...

To be honest I have seen very little since the restart. Griezmann I think is a special case. It's telling that after he returned from being benched for a few games, he was immediately man of the match material at his return, while (I've heard) playing a bit more egoistic, direct and selfish. He also was good against Napoli for the knock-out, which I did see.

9. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Marca have also rated the Real Madrid players out of ten for their performance this season:

Courtois - 10
    Carvajal - 7
    Militao - 6
    Ramos - 10
    Varane - 9
    Nacho - 5
    Marcelo - 5
    Odriozola - 1
    Mendy - 7
    Kroos - 7
    Modric - 7
    Casemiro - 10
    Valverde - 8
    James - 1
    Vazquez - 5
    Isco - 6
    Hazard - 4
    Benzema - 10
    Bale - 1
    Jovic - 3
    Asensio -7
    Brahim Diaz - 4
    Mariano - 5
    Vinicius - 5
    Rodrygo - 7
    Areola - 6

Tom Stevens and Titanlux repped this.
  10. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Last night on 5 Live a number of European journalists picked their team of the season. Maximum one player per team and no PL players allowed.

Kristof Terreur

--------------------Courtois

Hakimi -- Acerbi -- Marquinhos -- Halstenberg

----Saul -- Ilicic -- Mikel Merino

-----Messi -- Lewandowski -- Dybala

Guillem Balague (Didn't follow the rules)

--------------------Oblak

Di Lorenzo -- Ramos -- Diego Carlos -- Telles

--------Ilicic -- Casemiro -- Camavinga

-------Messi -- Lewandowski -- Mbappe

Julien Laurens

----------------------Oblak

Hakimi -- Koulibaly -- Alaba -- Theo Hernandez

----Cazorla -- Camavinga -- Papu Gomez

--------Messi - Benzema -- Mbappe

Steve Crossman

-----------------------Oblak

Hakimi -- Abdelhamid -- De Vrij -- Davies

----Casemiro -- Camavinga -- Cazorla

------Messi -- Immobile -- Ronaldo

11. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    I am referring to the inclusion of the players in the Spanish league which is the one that I have followed thoroughly and I think that they are not very representative eleven of reality, which makes me think that this lack of representativeness can be extended to the rest of the players of each team.
    It is true that Oblak (like Ter Stegen) have continued to prove to be some of the best goalkeepers in the world, but this season, it seems to me indisputable to think that neither of them is above Courtois, superbly helped by Ramos who has outdone himself. himself one more year. Curiously, the only one that includes Courtois in goal is a journalist who includes Saúl and Mikel Merino (??) in the center of the field instead of Casemiro or Cazorla, for example. Regarding Messi, much to my regret, his level has dropped ... Although his number of goals and assists is still very high, his presence has been more intermittent, he has been reluctant and has not had the energy to throw the team behind the back with the assiduity of other seasons. He is still the best footballer in the world, but perhaps his decline has begun ...

comme repped this.
  12. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    It's mainly because having Courtois means they can't then have Ramos, Casemiro or Courtois as they are only meant to pick one player from any team.

13. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I get the feeling Ramos received a boost (other than being captain for a winning team, and captain for the national team) with his goals and the (invented/real) records he broke with that. He has scored 14 goals so far (8 penalties) in the club games.

At the same time, his disciplinary record is again woeful (13 yellows, 1 red), has directly caused some penalties, and had a few errors to a goal as well in all competitions.

This time round he has a strong defensive record, unlike many other campaigns: 22 goals against in 35 matches (31 completed) looks to be a career best. Three of these goals were a penalty he conceded himself or a direct (unforced error) gift to the opposition.

14. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

I'd have Fede Valverde in I think.

15. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    You're right. I hadn't realized that.

16. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    The FWA award was announced on Friday.

1. Henderson, 2. De Bruyne, 3. Rashford, 4. Van Dijk, 5. Mane

Others who received votes: Trent AA, Alisson, Sterling, Wan-Bissaka, Aguero, Adama Traore, Ings, Grealish, Maddison, Jonny Evans.

Worth noting that the criteria makes reference to 'precept and example' and both Henderson and Rashford have made significant contributions to football's response to Covid 19.

Titanlux repped this.
  17. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    BT Sport have announced their team of the season, based on a fan vote.

Alisson; Trent, Van Dijk, Soyuncu, Robertson; De Bruyne, Jordan Henderson, Bruno Fernandes; Mane, Martial, Salah.

Subs: Dean Henderson; Wan-Bissaka, Maguire; Ndidi, Grealish, David Silva, Adama Traore; Ings, Rashford, Aubameyang

Titanlux repped this.
  18. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Goal have also released their fan team of the season (ordered by number of votes)

GK: Alisson; Henderson, Pope, Schmeichel
    RB: Trent, Wan-Bissaka, Pereira, Doherty
    CB: Van Dijk; Maguire, Tarkowski, Coady
    CB: Soyuncu; Laporte, Gomez, Dunk
    LB: Robertson; Chilwell, Digne, Stevens
    CM: Henderson; Kovacic, Ndidi, Neves
    CM: De Bruyne; Fabinho, Rice, Norwood
    CM: Fernandes; Silva, Grealish, Maddison
    RW: Salah; Mahrez, Traore, Willian
    LW: Mane; Sterling, Rashford, Aubameyang
    CF: Vardy; Martial, Ings, Jimenez

Titanlux repped this.
  19. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Bet365 team of the season (one player per team)

Pope; Trent, Basham, Evans; Bruno Fernandes, Mount, Grealish, Saka; Sterling, Jimenez, Ings

20. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #120 PuckVanHeel, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    The problem with this is twofold:

1) As various commentators (Vickery, Wilson) have pointed out endlessly, the example criteria is far from consistently followed, either for Ballon d'Or, FIFA or FWA.

"and he falls down on that second criterion, in a year in which he has been charged with perjury (although the charge was later mysteriously withdrawn) and has invited the far-right nationalist singer Thompson to join the World Cup celebrations. It all feels deeply unsatisfactory, but then individual awards in football always do."
    https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/12/0...-modric-croatia-real-madrid-cristiano-ronaldo
    (the same applies for the 2019 Ballon d'Or and FIFA award which both mention something like "overall behavior on and off the pitch")

2) It is myopic to pretend the other three have done nothing (in their own country, 2nd example). With sums involved that actually surpass the whole 'Playerstogether' thing, in much smaller and/or poorer countries. Not to mention the default things that are done regardless of corona (a 'default' that is in some cases higher to begin with).

The usual megaphones, insularity, critical mass creation, market pandering and echo chambers does the rest.

21. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Team of the Year in Russia

Akinfeev (CSKA) - Fernandes (CSKA), Ivanović (Zenit), Gigot (Spartak), Douglas Santos (Zenit) - Krychowiak (Lokomotiv) - Alexey Miranchuk (Lokomotiv), Vlašić (CSKA), Wanderson (Krasnodar) - Dzyuba & Azmoun (both Zenit)

22. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    One Football PL team of the season
    GK: Alisson (Liverpool)
    RB: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool)
    CB: Virgil Van Dijk (Liverpool)
    CB: Caglar Soyuncu (Leicester)
    LB: Andy Robertson (Liverpool)
    CM: Jordan Henderson (Liverpool)
    CM: Kevin de Bruyne (Manchester City)
    CM: Bruno Fernandes (Manchester United)
    RW: Mo Salah (Liverpool)
    CF: Jamie Vardy (Leicester)
    LW: Sadio Mane (Liverpool)

carlito86 and comme repped this.
  23. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I'm not saying I agree with the voting. I would not have had either in the top 5, but I'm providing some context as to why those particular players were chosen.

24. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Premier League Teams of the Season from writers at the Independent

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...st-player-goals-signing-moments-a9634651.html

MD: Henderson, Alexander-Arnold, Van Dijk, Egan, Robertson, Henderson, Fernandes, De Bruyne, Traore, Vardy, Mane

MR: Henderson, Alexander-Arnold, Egan, Van Dijk, Robertson, De Bruyne, Henderson, Fernandes, Mane, Salah, Ings

MC: Dubravka; Basham, Van Dijk, Egan; Alexander-Arnold, De Bruyne, Fernandes, Robertson; Traoré, Ings, Mané.

LO: Dubravka, Alexander-Arnold, Evans, Van Dijk, Robertson, De Bruyne, Henderson, Fernandes, Mane, Vardy, Jimenez

JR: Schmeichel, Alexander-Arnold, Tarkowski, Van Dijk, Saka; Salah, Henderson, De Bruyne, Mane; Jimenez, Vardy

TK: Henderson, Alexander-Arnold, Soyuncu, Van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Henderson, De Bruyne, Mane, Aubameyang, Vardy

VE: Pope, Alexander-Arnold, Van Dijk, Soyuncu, Robertson, De Bruyne, Ruben Neves, Henderson, Mane, Ings, Jimenez

AP: Pope, Alexander-Arnold, Egan, Van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Fernandes, De Bruyne, Pulisic, Ings, Mane

KM: Alisson; Alexander-Arnold, Van Dijk, Egan, Saka; Fabinho, Henderson, De Bruyne; Salah, Ings, Mane.

25. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Sid Lowe's Team of the Season in the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...2019-20-season-sid-lowe-real-madrid-barcelona

GK: Courtois, Madrid.
    RB: Jesús Navas, Sevilla.
    CB: Sergio Ramos, Madrid.
    CB: Diego Carlos, Sevilla.
    LB: Pervis Estupiñán, Osasuna.
    M: Santi Cazorla, Villarreal.
    M: Casemiro, Madrid.
    M: Martin Ødegaard, Real Sociedad.
    F: Leo Messi, Barcelona.
    F: Karim Benzema, Madrid.
    F: Lucas Ocampos, Sevilla

Subs: Gerard Moreno (Villarreal), Raúl García, Yuri Berchiche (Athletic), Mikel Oyarzabal, Mikel Merino, Portu (Real Sociedad), Gerard Piqué, Arturo Vidal (Barcelona), Jan Oblak, Saúl Ñíguez (Atlético), Fernando, Éver Banega, Sergio Reguilón (Sevilla), Aspas (Celta), Kroos, Valverde (Madrid), Roberto Torres, Chimy Ávila (Osasuna), Orellana (Eibar), José Campaña (Levante), Arambarri, Damián Suárez, Molina (Getafe), Domingos Duarte, Yangel Herrera, Carlos Fernández (Granada).

AD78, Edhardy and Titanlux repped this.