Players Lash Out at Cardinal Stadium

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by HalaMadrid, Aug 3, 2002.

1. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38458-2002Aug2.html

2. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    OK, so where I don't disagree with what Boca is saying, I don't understand what one sentence in that paragraph has to do with the other. Is Cardinal Stadium not rocking because the players play on hot plastic?

3. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Northwestern? Hee, hee, just kidding.

4. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I deleted my post because I read it wrong, he said before expanding they should have put a team in chicago whicjh still doesn't make any sense because the reason we didn't get a team when mls debuted was because we couldn't get a lease with SF signed.

5. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Now, further salt in the wound: Josh has blamed his injury keeping him out of the All-Star game on the Cardinal Stadium surface, in a TV interview.

6. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    can someone tell me what dema was doing taking beasely out from behind???

7. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    ok, i know i defended naperville in a different topic, but i agree that our stadium is terrible. i would love to see more small-to-midsized stadiums built for MLS. i'm yet to go to columbus, but i've seen it from the road and it seems like that's what we need.

8. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    being an absolute idiot? showing exactly why people have said in the past that he doesn't have it upstairs enough to be a #10 player?

9. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    the surface

i definately heard about CJ Brown's shoes melting on the surface during a NY/NJ game. that's not so pleasing. i've never been a fan of astroturf. wouldn't it make more sense to hold the games at one of the soccer/football fields at one of the schools in the city? (a bigger school that is) or has that already been tried?

10. DeGregorus

DeGregorus Member

Oct 24, 1999
    Seis Esquinas
    Scheduling! Sceheduling! Talk about scheduling!

Players rip the Naperville turf. No surprise there. Nobody says a thing about playing 3pm ganes in July and August? Wtf. is with that?
    Is it any worse to play a 3pm game in the Cotton Bowl in August than it is to play a 3pm July game on Naperville's SatanPlay surface?

11. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    Re: Scheduling! Sceheduling! Talk about scheduling!

WELL YOU CAN BLAME THE MORONS AT MLS AND FIRE FOR HAVING A GAME THERE AT 3 PM IN JULY.

12. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    crazy steve is back

:D

13. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Scheduling! Sceheduling! Talk about scheduling!

I think it's more likely the morons at MLS and ESPN.

Steve, you're too high strung to be released yet. Calmly go back to your padded cell and take your medicine like a good boy.

If you're good, the orderly will let you watch Golden Girls tonight.

14. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Re: Re: Re: Scheduling! Sceheduling! Talk about scheduling!

Why would he want to watch tapes of Galaxy games? :)

15. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Scheduling! Sceheduling! Talk about scheduling!

This is funny but somewhat cruel and ironic.

See, Steve can't really follow plot for more than a couple seconds at a time... so he thinks the shows are the same.

The ironic thing is that he believes Alexi Lalas and Bea Arthur to be the same person, so it's funny you mention that.

16. JTorres

JTorres New Member

Mar 2, 2000
    The Globe-Chicago
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Scheduling! Sceheduling! Talk about scheduling!

They aren't?

17. Cougar Jim

Cougar Jim New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Chicago
    Not true! Bea Arthur's a MUCH better singer!

18. She's probably taller and more of a man too.

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Scheduling! Sceheduling! Talk about scheduling!

Well, on Saturday, the air temperature will be in the high 90s/low 100s. The grass will be more or less the same temperature. It won't be the 100,000 degrees that the Naperville plastic gets up to. Nobody's shoes are going to be melting.

It's more or less the difference between plastic and grass. Plastic holds heat much better than grass.

20. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    With all the baseball and gridiorn that's been played on Astroturf, has anyone actually ever heard of other athlete's shoes melting?

21. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but I have heard that when Terry Pendleton was with the Cards (and they played on turf) he used to soak his socks between innings, and by the time the inning ended they'd be dry. Don't know if that's true or not.

22. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the latest soccer america peter wilt is quoted as saying there is one other place not piblicly disclosed before that the fire could play the 2003 season if naperville doesn't want the fire.
    Same SA players on other teams blast surface at NCC as being hard on their knees, wavy and not flat.

23. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

they also aren't on that stuff 45 minutes at a time

24. DeGregorus

DeGregorus Member

Oct 24, 1999
    Seis Esquinas
    Re: Re: Scheduling! Sceheduling! Talk about scheduling!

The players will grumble..and muddle through.
    Now what about the fans? They don't get to sit/stand on grass. They have concrete or some other material under their feet that radiates heat. Mind you, not every fan is conditioned to stand 3hours in high 90s/low 100s heat. Yep, it's really too much to ask of even the most dedicated fan.
    We wouldn't be having this kvetching if the 3pm games took place in May or early June....well maybe we'd be kvetching about rain. I've been soaked and scorched at Cardinal Stadium. I'd rather be soaked thankyoverymuch.
    When Don Garber appears at the Supporters Summit for Q&A, we should make him promise that he'll nag the TV people to move their Soccer Saturday program to 6pm [CST] or some reasonable time. Let baseball be played earlier.

25. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Vince Coleman and that bunch from the mid-80's St. Louis cardinals used to have problems with their cleats when Busch Stadium had the artificial turf.

Busch Stadium is the WORST stadium in the world to be in on a hot day, with Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia probably just as bad. Those circular, multi-purpose stadiums built in the mid-60's just have NO AIR MOVEMENT and field temps are always at least 20 degrees higher than the air temperatures.

I'm not kidding when I say that I've seen 140 degree field temperatures on that field. That's sure as sugar gonna be cleat melting weather.