Player Spotting [9] - post pic/info of players in new boots gear!

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teamescape1987

Aug 21, 2010
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Lingard in Magistas and Rooney in Hypervenoms.

vanjory repped this.
  2. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thought this shot of Bastian's "X" boots was epic. Shows both models being a hybrid of the F50 1-4 (outsole), the F50 5 (speedfoil), the F50 4 forefoot and stitching pattern, the X graphic (don't think the cage exists other than print here), and the X insole.

Probably the most interesting hybrid modded boot on anyone's foot these days. RVP would have given it a run for the money as well if he stayed with adidas and started wearing the "X" he trained in once as well with the adiPower outsole and similar upper. He seems to be back in same blackouts of the last 18 months, which are his modded F50's. I guess he didn't actually go back to adidas.

Attached Files:

3. hahanice

hahanice Member

Oct 30, 2013
    newone88 repped this.
  4. Oli Coultas

Oli Coultas Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Leeds
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What's drogba playing in? Looks like blackout upper with blue sole plate

5. cadmonkey12

cadmonkey12 Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The white Messi 15.1 is a great match to LA's kit...
    [​IMG]

vanjory and Oli Coultas repped this.
  6. Oli Coultas

Oli Coultas Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Leeds
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is drogba wearing blackout copas? Either way never thought I'd see him out of vapors ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444124528.825065.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444124536.391058.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444124550.339351.jpg

7. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I saw a pic of him sitting on the bench and the forefoot stitching looked like a Copa blacked out...at least he looks to be doing one better than Kaka and not cutting off the stripes or coloring in a standard pair...these MLS teams usually have a room full of gear to pick from supplied by adidas with everything in bulk so I am pretty sure Orlando has a few blackout Copa models sitting around.

Regardless, I am wondering if he is out of contract or maybe trashed his boots and needed something to get him through the match. His Vapor is heavily modified, it has a true tongue, the Vapor SL outsole and his prefered tongue tab, among other things like the shape which is very unique based on the match worn models of his that I have seen for sale.

It does speak to the quality of the Copa that a true top level pro (even if he's past it a bit at the highest level) can just slip them on and play in them without adjustment....all those people saying the Copa is too heavy, it needs updating, it is a "slow" boot and so on.....here is your crow, cooked to your liking.

EDIT* Upon viewing of more up close pics it does look like he de-striped a standard pair and blacked out the outsole (which washed off creating a blue look). I'll be having a plate of that crow too. Haha.

jayc23, Bolivianfuego and Oli Coultas repped this.
  8. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  9. newone88

newone88 Member

May 2, 2006
    San Francisco
    I don't think so. He was playing in the Gray vapors few weeks back and scored some awesome goals in them. Maybe his contract is up but I'm not sure.

10. JEN14

JEN14 Red Card

May 8, 2014
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Personally I'd say it's more Nike don't want to pay him anymore. Or as newone said above to put it more politely, his 'contract has expired'.

I've been watching a lot of MLS recently though and I'm quite enjoying it. Obviously it's not the absolute top quality, the defensive side is often absolutely abysmal and there are some players, usually out wide or upfront who are dire, but it's an entertaining league. It certainly has potential.

Just in this climate it either needs more money or one top class individual to take the punt who isn't on a decline. Not Giovonco either, someone of REAL top quality.

Either way there's goals, drama, and endeavour. Refreshing when you've grown tired of the elite dominating elsewhere and the playacting.

11. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Try catching some South AMerican footie, too. Copa Libertadores always keeps you on your toes, or Copa Sudamericana (their UEFA cup equiv).

MLS is fun because of the names, and the attractive play/parity, but it's clear the lack of a more technical foundation when you step outside of the foreigners that start in the league. They still have ways to go in that sense.

12. cadmonkey12

cadmonkey12 Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that adidas' contract with MLS requires non sponsored players to wear adidas boots or blackouts.

13. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    That explains it....

You would think they would re-up Kaka's contract since he used to be a premier Adidas guy....very strange..

14. cadmonkey12

cadmonkey12 Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just remembered that last week there was some talk about Drogba not playing in the Orlando game because of injury concerns with the turf surface. He may have just blacked out the Copas to get in a pair of conical studs for the turf and to keep Nike happy...have to wait and see what he turns up in next match.

15. Oli Coultas

Oli Coultas Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Leeds
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's what I thought it could be but surely Nike would have had him an AG pair of mercurials Because of the amount of pitches which are AG in mls

16. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    I remember reading a debate about some commentators being unhappy that Thierry was not playing in matches that were played on artifical turf and saw it as disrespect. Was abit surprising as he was playing in a pair of Puma King SL (the original really awesome ones) which are conical studs too.

Why not Giovinco? Before his ill-fated move to Juventus where he didn't get the playtime/suit Conte's playing style he was comfortably one of the better Italian strikers out there. He's fairly top quality and is about the ceiling they can expect to hit in terms on non-decline. (not trying to create trouble here just fairly curious to hear your thoughts about it.

Was fairly surprised to see Gio Dos Santos make the move though, felt he had more to contribute in Europe still. Does anyone here follow MLS regularly? Are Dos Santos and Giovinco really tearing apart the league or is that just MLS doing alot more highlights of them because they're fairly well know so they publicise it more?

Dr. Boots and Pangu repped this.
  17. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    [​IMG]

fuuuu what I'd do to get a pair of that White Dois. . .

18. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Giovinco is shredding the league right now, that isn't media hype. If anything his media profile is too low; he wasn't even hyped enough for a fan selection to the All-Star game. Take that for what it is worth, but I found that to be pretty shocking. He will be a shoo-in for MVP and rightly so; he is the best player in the league this season by a mile and he's pulled an awful squad to the playoffs by the scruff of their neck.

Most of his goals and assist in terms of strict technique and vision have been brilliant and classy. There has also been a good bit of "did he actually do that in real match" fantasy/FIFA video games in real life type stuff. I think what it boils down to - other than being very gifted technically - is that he knows he can try to do anything he wants and there will be no negative repercussions if it doesn't come off. That is a lot different than being away and down by one on goal difference in the CL semi-final. He has no fear of failure here because he is biggest fish in his pond, he's free to do anything.

MLS is still finding it's feet in the global sense, but Giovinco is the right type of player for right now when it comes to getting someone that can dazzle and is obtainable. He let's young viewers see what is possible outside of the standard fare and that is how expectations start to change and things start to tip (sorry, going Gladwell there). If MLS/US Soccer wants to produce more creative and inventive players, letting them be exposed to players like Giovinco - in person, not on Youtube - is a great start...assuming they don't bungle it like they tend to do.

Eventually as a league they might start to get players of the Henry class in their prime, but that needs to be built, not just implemented or expected overnight. It also needs to be coupled with a better youth development system here so players are coming through that can be sold to European clubs with a realistic expectation that they will compete for roster space and not be a token signing.

jayc23 and Bolivianfuego repped this.
  19. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^Well said, man.

20. Pangu

Pangu Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think the Australian domestic league is where the mls was during the late 90's. I think that now there is actually real quality and I have seen games that are broadcast over here.

There are a lot of parallels and hopefully we can continue going in the same direction :)

21. Footballer-7

Footballer-7 Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Australian here. Love those parallels. Once the A League can secure more of that big sponsorship money (Nike, Adidas, Puma, hell even UA could make a name here etc) then the league can grow. I'm excited!

AdidasPredatorMANIAC and Pangu repped this.
  22. AdidasPredatorMANIAC

Jul 6, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I keep trying to find out when my work will bring in UA since they are the head stockists/supplier of the brand in Australia. Rumour has it, the boots will take a few years to come down under. I guess they're talking/planning behind the scenes for an Aussie breakthrough.

23. Alex57910

Alex57910 Member

Oct 28, 2013
    man i just think that asics, nike and adidas have too much of a monopoly over here. it will take ages for UA to break into the market imo. look how long it took to get pele's etc, even mizuno over here. hopefully im wrong

24. cadmonkey12

cadmonkey12 Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michael Bradley is officially a Puma athlete...
    [​IMG]

An Unpaved Road repped this.
  25. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    what's the UA nonsoccer market like down unda? are they competing with other brands in other sports? here UA seems to be second only to nike in most other sports, and the crossover into soccer hasn't been really strong from what i see here. if their market share smaller overall in AUS, it may be even slower there.

26. Pangu

Pangu Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Speaking from only what I know, UA has a pretty good uptake in compression wear but that is about it. I always see their other apparel in the discounted sections. Likewise for their shoes.