Player Ratings: USA vs El Salvador 9/5/09

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by tsaldana3, Sep 5, 2009.

1. packy

packy Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Some added comments:

Bornstein - add me to the "is not Nats material" group. In addition to the comments already stated there was one play where he was badly burned by an attacker who blew by him near the box and only stopped by Landon who appeared from nowhere. So much for Bornsteins pace.

Beckerman - did not have one touch that was not a mistake. Also not Nats material

Holden - best US player on the pitch for the minutes he was in. Possibly saved the win.

2. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    What would it take for people to say that Howard had a bad game? He has a WTF moment on the goal. His distribution was awful. I'm not advocating he be dropped. I'm just saying he didn't play well last night.

3. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    agree-it should have been 2-0.

4. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Holden and Torres looked superb together. I can see them playing in 2010 and being our defacto starters in the 2014 World Cup.

5. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes indeed, I agree. Bornstein was a solid Left Back, and gave his man all kinds of trouble today. In fact, Bornstein looked better than Spector tonight (Who also got burned on that same goal play)....BUT the big issue is that Bornstein had 3 gigantic lapses in judgement, one of which directly led to an El Salvador goal, and one of them killing a clear US scoring chance. Even worse, this is what we have come to expect from Bornstein---A left back who can mark Lionel Messi right out of a game, only to have a brain-flatus that costs the US with a clunker goal. He still has not learned to control his mental lapses.

But I agree--if Bornstein didn't have those mental lapses, he is easily or #1 left back. But he does, and he looks like he will never grow out of them.

6. tsaldana3

tsaldana3 Member

Apr 26, 2008
    TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was Alvarez that blew past him on that play. Then Landon came in to strip the ball away from him.

:)

7. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    I haven't had the opportunity to watch Holden much, so I can't be considered a "Holden fan" who wants to inflate his performance; but I was impressed by the spark he provided in a brief 20 minutes last night.

8. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also saved our hash twice when it could have been 2-2 is why.

You know, come to think of it, I didn't rank all the Americans on the pitch tonight:

Alvarez - 4.5 - Played tenaciously against his man all night, winning some, losing most. Certainly a quality player, but not at the level of the US National Team.

9. zerkdave

zerkdave Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Arlington, VA
    Re Holden: You don't know what you are talking about. Plain and simple.

10. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Some blog I read somewhere called it the "unheralded play of the game."

I might agree with that, too.

Exactly. And harsh as it is, that's what players are judged by at this level. You can't make boneheaded decisions at critical moments that cost your team.

That's what keeps my enthusiasm for Clint Dempsey on a lower scale. I think he makes poor decisions with the ball at times in an effort to showboat - and it's cost us big in the past. I'd like for him to stop it.

It's one reason (of many) why I appreciate Donovan's play. He doesn't make boneheaded decisions with the ball. He's a very intelligent player.

11. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    No one's reading this thread anymore, but jsut for my own satisfacation:

very good:
    LD
    Davies

good enough:
    Altidore
    Spector
    Dempsey
    (Holden)

Meh:
    Marshall
    Bocanegra
    Howard
    (Torres)

Poor:
    Feilhaber
    (Beckerman)

Abyssmal:
    Bradley
    Bornstein

12. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Average: 5

Howard - 5
    Spector - 4 - Can we get Dolo back please?
    Marshall - 6 - Solid
    Bocanegra - 5
    Bornstein - 4 - Horrible clearance, but otherwise had an okay game. Still our best backup option at LB by far.
    Bradley & Feilhaber - 4 - poor communication, both went forward at times and left a huge gap in the middle. It's clear that Bradley is used to playing with Rico back there.
    Dempsey - 5
    Donovan - 7.5 - MOTM, great assists.
    Davies - 6 - good
    Altidore - 7 - two goals, but mysteriously only one was counted.

subs:
    Beckerman - 4 - yikes.
    Holden - 6 - lets see some more of him
    Torres - 6 - more of this guy would be nice too

13. KHenry14

KHenry14 Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    interesting in the wide range of opinons on the performances. To me that smacks of a really inconsistant game...

With that said

Howard--5 Bad on the goal, excellent on the late save
    Spector--5 Went forward well, just not enough
    Marshall--3.5 Over his head a bit, but not a disaster
    Boca--4.5 had a few moments
    Bornstein--2 a couple of horrendous plays, plus ineffective going forward
    Bradley--3 I'm in the camp that thinks he's still on the pitch because daddy wants him to be. Giveaways in our back third by a DMid just kill the team. When is Jermaine Jones available?
    Dempsey--6 should be higher, but Deuce is just too inconsistant
    Donovan-8.5 consistantly dangerous MOTM
    Feilhaber--4.5 good in first half, invisible in the second
    Altidore--7 excellent finishes, just wished he was a bit stronger as he got moved off the ball a few times
    Davies--7 I admit I'm a huge fan of Charlie's, but his speed creates problems and he links well with Landon

Holden--6.5 Stuart is in fine form right now and has earned more PT. Tracks back well and is dangerous up the wing
    Beckerman--3 was really nervous and it showed in his play
    Torres--Inc. Could have been a 7.5 had he buried the cross

A big sigh of relief that the team got 3 points...:eek: