Player Ratings for the Final (R)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by ursula, Nov 14, 2004.

1. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Rimando- 4.5 Nicky's worst game since recovering from injury. Yeah, Burciaga's goal was well taken, but haven't we seen Nicky whiff on long distance shots for a couple of years now? Maybe he should have had a visor or something in the second half also. Seriously didn't own his box, flailing at the ball like he was holding a Corgi in his other hand. Thornton would have had none of those problems, BTW.

Nelsen- 7 His one error that I think he made was on the penalty kick play: at the beginning where Conrad was wide open for the initial header. I think Nellie was marking him, but even further on that play if Rimando hadn't tapped the ball away, Nellie would have headed it to the side. Otherwise his normal excellent game. I'm not sure but I believe that KC started Arnaud and Wolff as forwards but Nellie just nullified them. (BTW that's sarcasm.)

Petke- 6.5 Played an excellent game in working with Nellie. Good in the air, kept his cool.

Namoff- 6 In the second half it was his side that was constantly under pressure and he did his job.

Carroll- 6.5 Nice feed to Esky for the first goal. Did his normal defensive positioning excellence, shutting down service to KC's forwards. I think as time goes on he will become quite comfortable going forward.

Kovalenko- 3.5 One Big Blunder almost cost us the game. Otherwise he did an okay. But he can't keep doing THAT CRAP.

Olsen- 7 As Petke was to Nellie, Olsen was to Moreno, especially in holding the ball to kill time. You know, Benny has become quite a smart player which I think was a big part of United winning. Olsen, Moreno, Petke, Nelsen, Stewart, Gomez, even Dema except for his asinine play, all play intelligent.

Stewart- 6.5 Maybe Earnie's final game for us but he came up big also. Most folks will look at the KC own goal as a bit of luck, but Earnie forced that goal by Zotinca- just like he forced Kamler into an own goal to win a regular season game vs NE. Earnie saw he had the defense running hard towards goal, so he drove it in HARD. It would have been lucky for KC NOT to score. In addition, Stewart owned Stephenson in the first half and was constantly threatening.

Gomez- 6 Played his position well. Nothing special here but was a presence that allowed Earnie and Alecko especially to threaten goal.

Moreno- 7.5 Just a great great calming presence in the second half when United was down an idiot. Didn't do too much offensively as KC was obviously keying on him, daring DCU to beat them with someone else.

Note to KC: Your strategy didn't work.

Eskandarian- 8 MOTM. Would be higher if he hadn't cramped up. On the three goals:

1) Beautifully held off that hack Garcia, turned and cooly finished.

2) Turned Jimmy Conrad into this year's version of Kevin Hartman. Another clinical finish.

3) His run was instrumental in Stewart's hard cross for the goal.

Alecko Eskandarian: the best American forward, bar none.

Gros- 6 Did his job as Gomez' sub. I'm gonna write a thread on Gros' maturity and learning curve this year. IMO it's been impressive. made no mistakes, no retaliatory fouls, didn't get caught upfield (which Gansler repeatedly burned Josh on in the last meeting in midseason).

Adu- 5.5 Also played within the system, though he gave up a potentially dangerous free kick for no real reason. It's nice bringing in two rookies who played so cooly. Compare to KC's Stephenson, Jewsbury, Taylor. Well there's no comparison.

Prideaux- 5.5 Did give up one dangerous free kick needlessly also, but otherwise did a solid job.

Nowak- 10 Arena who? Our savior.

2. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NOWAK- 25
    everyone else- perfect 10

i dont care if we had some slip ups

we won!

the fans- also get a 25

3. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    About Nicky: they were playing with a new ball today fro whatever reason. It seemed to float or knuckle a bit and there were a few instances in which I think Rimando simply had no idea what it was going to do. I think it was worse for Rimando since he is smaller than other keepers so he has to committ sooner than most on crosses and the like.

4. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    I love what Esky has done just as much as the next guy. But I don't necessarily agree with this statement, yet. Esky is on fire right now and has been. But there are a lot of other really talented guys out there (Donovan, McBride, Johnson, etc). He rose to the challenge of the playoffs and was outstanding. I just think we should wait to see more of this fantastic play to be say something like that. I certainly think he has the potential to get there though.

5. eurojack

eurojack Member

Jun 29, 2001
    This kind of ******** pisses me off to no end. Don't bow to your sponsors and bring a new ball, that has never been used before in any league matches, into the most important match of the season. This is the kind of BS that the MLS is famous for.

In the World Cup they always use a new ball, but at least the teams are allowed to practice with it a week in advance of the tournament.

6. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia

Special kudos to Earnie in probably his last game with DCU. He played with such skill and was just so "snapped in" to the game. Overlooked, but crucial was his sliding toe-poke on a wide open Davy Arnaud late in the game. Arnaud sailed his shot over the bar and then he dove like the little fish.

I love that line "down an idiot." Seriously, I couldn't breath for the last 10 minutes.

Earlier this season I though Nowak was the Steve Spurrier of soccer. He seemed to keep trying to pound square pegs in round holes -- whatever, the pegs fit the holes now -- maybe their oval. The announcers said he broke Kovalenko's nose twice the first season in Chicago, I hope Piotr busts his a** after that stupid, stupid handball.

7. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd bump up Earnie to a 7--just after Freddy came in, Earnie saved a goal with a last-minute, in-the-box slide tackle on Arnaud. An excellent farewell(?) performance.

8. doneshufflin

doneshufflin New Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Washington DC
    Kovalenko- 3.5 One Big Blunder almost cost us the game. Otherwise he did an okay. But he can't keep doing THAT CRAP.

I totally disagree with you on this one. Given Dema has had his been his own worst enemy, but you cannot blame him here. It totally looks like he is trying to avoid the ball and getting sent off for a play that the official didn't even see is the worst part about it. I don't think he should have been sent off and you can totally blame that whole play on Rimando leaving the goal mouth and not coming up with the ball. So lay off Dema! :mad:

9. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    It's a shame Earnie statred playing this well now, because this is exactly what we'd expected from him all along.

Anyway, with Dema's play, although the red card sucked for sure, I'm not as angry about it as most. If Nick saves the PK or Wolff misses, then it's a 3-1 game still and Kansas City has almost no chance of getting back in that, at least a much smaller one than 3-2. Also, the ref completely missed it, it took the Kansas City player's convincing the linesman to get the call, and while it wouldn't be the best to get away with something else, I wouldn't have been complaining if it was still 3-1 at that point.

10. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he's trying to avoid the ball, then he's doing what everyone's taught when they learn to play the game -- in that situation, keep your arms at your sides or across your front.

Skip -- I dunno how people are able to give player ratings like you do here. Maybe in a couple of days, after I've calmed down and watched it again. But I was so stressed out during that match I barely remember who played. Evaluating players carefully? How can you do that?

11. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    I feel bad saying this since Nicky's save in the shootout last week sent us to the final, but...he scare's me. His lack of height hurts when he comes of the line. He just never has seemed to have "control" of the penalty box.

As for Dema's handball, I can't feel angry for him for that. I've been in that position before and I used the hand...its instinct. If Rimando would have saved that penalty, then Dema's sending off wouldn't have seemed so bad at the time.

Overall...I was happy with this team's performance. I love this team...and this year it was something special.

12. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Yeah that's a bit of hyperbole on my part. Still I'd like to see Esky be on the receiving end of Donovan on a regular basis.

13. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    It was indeed a bit hyperbolic, but you can't say enough about guys who raise their game when the lights are brightest. Tony Sanneh was that kind of guy too. Capable during the regular season, but an absolute monster when the chips were on the line. (same goes for the National team by the way. HUGE in the WC after many mediocre performances in qualifying.)

Esky's game has really come along this year too. He's gained a ton of confidence, and his game has quieted down a ton from the early season.

14. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Boom-chicka-WOW-wow

:D:D

15. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Nicky is a good reflexive keeper, but crosses into the box just scare the sh!t out of me; he's constantly flapping at balls floated in.

16. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Good ratings ursula- I agree in general-
    Esky, Stewart, Moreno, Nelsen- 7
    Carroll- 6.5 what a game- he has improved a ton this year
    Olsen, Petke, Namoff- 6
    Gomez- 5.5 came to play, had both good and bad luck
    Kovalenko- 4 it's instinctual to block a goal like that
    Rimando- 4 Had the hot hand for a couple of months, it wore off today- or maybe last week- 2 weak areas in his game surfaced again today.
    Gros- 6
    Prideaux- 5
    Adu- 4.5
    Nowak- 9

17. seanT

seanT Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I would generally agree with most of what has been said.

I do fault Dema on the PK and red card. Since the rule changed
    to a redcard for it, its no longer a smart play to throw the hand up.

Two comments on Rimando's play. First, it simply has to get better in the air. He is always suspect. AS to yesterday, they should have known what conditions would be like (just like the day before, and last year) and had some shades, a visor, some eye stuff, something.

18. beergorila

beergorila Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Carroll had a handball in the box last week, but was not sent-off... The ref had no biz sending off a player like that if he didn't see it happen! Because it was Dema, I think he got shafted. Say what you will, but I think Dema's reputation as the bad boy of MLS exceeds what he really is guilty of overall. He plays with heart -- I know many call it reckless at times, but I'm glad he's on our team.

Besides, if you watch the re-play (linked on MLSNET.com) you will see Rimando makes the poorest clearance possible & basically slaps Nellie in the head causing him to not help on the follow-up clearance/block of the final shot at goal. One could even suggest Dema was using his arm to point to someone for help on extra coverage from the flank... that's where he's looking just before the shot while there's a major scramble once Rimando fluffed the punch.

19. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    A handball in the box equals a penalty shot.

Deliberately denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity at the same time merits the ejection, I believe.

20. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    correct. Carroll's was not a red because he didn't prevent the ball from going into the goal.

21. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And even if Dema didn't mean to get the hand ball, it's the rule that he gets a red. The ref didn't have an option. It wasn't that Dema's bad-boy rep influenced the ref, Dema prevented a goal with his arm and had to be sent off.

Also, while the ref may not have seen it clearly, the assistant did and ran in to talk to the ref about it. You were able to see that on TV.

Regardless, it really should have never happened if Nicky didn't whiff on the punch and smack Nelsen in the face. I mean, that was a hard punch Ryan took.