Player of the Year candidates

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    after winning two straight ACC Tournaments and advancing further than expected in the NCAAs last year, I don't call him that anymore.

As to the Freeman thing, it is baffling that he is not a finalist for the award and further shows that the MAC Hermann committeee has their head very far up their asses.

As LDB said, he is DEFENDER who LEADS THE COUNTRY in assists and set a SCHOOL RECORD for assists in a season at a school that has a pretty damn good history for producing good midfielders. Oh, and he's part of a pretty good UVa defense, too; the Cavs give up 0.90 per. That doesn't lead the country or anything, but it's far better than average.

In the end, Hunter will get a better honor than the MAC Hermann. I suspect if he signs a P40 deal - and I think he will - that he'll be taken No. 1 overall by his old coach John Ellinger at FaKe Salt Lake.

2. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Good one. :D

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Here's what the players in question have done in the postseason, so far. As always, thoughts and other nominees - please explain why - are welcome.

My nominees (players in bold also nominated by the MAC Hermann committee.

Bouna Coundoul
    Did not qualify for NCAAs

Hunter Freeman
    One goal in UVa's 2-1 win over American in the second round

Jason Garey
    One goal in Maryland's 4-0 second round win over Hofstra

Sasha Gotsmanov

C.J. Klaas
    One assist in Washington's 5-3 first round loss to Portland

Tony Lockhead
    Two assists in UCSB's 2-1 OT second round win over Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

Guy Melamed
    No goals or assists in BC's 1-0 second round win over UConn

Drew Moor
    No goals or assists in IU's 1-0 second round win over Michigan

Randi Patterson
    One goal in UNC-G's 2-1 second round round win over Charleston

Ryan Pore
    One goal, one assist in Tulsa's 2-1 first round win over Michigan State. One goal in Tulsa's second round 1-1 tie with Penn State (Tulsa advances on PK's).

Jeff Rowland
    One goal, two assits in UNM's 4-1 secnd round win over Portland

Chris Sawyer
    One save, two goals allowed in ND's 2-1 second round loss to Ohio State

The MAC HERMANN AWARD nominees for 2004

Jason Garey, Jr., Forward, Gonzalez, La., Maryland
    See above

Kevin Goldthwaite
    One assist in ND's 2-1 second round loss to Ohio State

Matt Groenwald
    No goals, no assists in St. John's 3-1 second round win over BU.

Brad Guzan
    Seven saves, three goals allowed in SC's 3-2 first round loss to Charleston

Will John

C.J. Klaas, Sr. Defender, Cherry Valley, Ill., Washington
    See above

Aaron Lopez
    No goals, no assists in UCLA's 3-0 second round win over LMU.

Guy Melamed, Sr., Defender, Nofit, Israel, Boston College
    See Above

Drew Moor, Jr., Defender, Dallas, Texas, Indiana
    See above

Julian Nash
    One assist in CU's 3-2 second round win over Northwestern

Danny O'Rourke
    No goals or assists in IU's 1-0 second round win over Michigan

Ryan Pore, Jr., Forward, Mansfield, Ohio, Tulsa
    See above

Gonzalo Segares
    One goal in VCU's 2-0 second round win over GW

Jack Stewart
    No goals or assists in ND's 2-1 second round loss to Ohio State

Abe Thompson
    One assist in Maryland's 4-0 second round win over Hofstra

4. cusoccer82

cusoccer82 Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I haven't been able to see many of these players this season, but out of those i have seen Pore should win the award hands down. He is quick, smart with the ball and just plain out scores goals. He will be a very good MLS forward. Gotsmanov is the real deal as well, unfortunately he didn't have much support at RI this season to achieve any greatness as a team and to get more national attention.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I don't know if the MAC Hermann voters turn in their votes before the NCAAs start, but if they haven't voted yet, Pore is definitely making a case for himself in the postseason.

His two goals Saturday night give him four and a helper in three games to help Tulsa to the quarterfinals. For the season, he has 21 goals in as many games and 11 assists.

A goal a game, double figs in assists and getting your team to the Elite Eight for the first time ever - that's a helluva year!

The only players I think who could make a case for being more deserving are Jason Garey and Hunter Freeeman, but both are getting a whole lot more support than Pore does.

6. CUgrad01

CUgrad01 New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    And Creighton shut him completely down both games. This notwithstanding, I am now a believer. He deserves it.

7. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Garey and Freeman also play in the a lot better conference and overall against a lot better competition to get their numbers. Interesting many of the top candidates are underclassmen and I believe the Herman voters perfer seniors when possible.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Plenty of underclassmen have won the award (s).

Alecko Eskandarian won the first ever combined award as a junior in 2002.

Chris Gbandi (2000), Ali Curtis (1999), Wojtek Krakowiak (1998), Mike Fisher (1995), Claudio Reyna (1993), Brad Friedel (1992), Tony Meola (1989) and Ken Snow (1988) all won the Hermann as non-seniors. (I can't remember before 88 and I don't feel like looking it up!)

The Missouri Athletic Award, which didn't give a POY award till 86, tended to give it more to seniors, though several underclassmen won it: Claudio Reyna (93, 92), Tony Meola (1989), Ken Snow (1988), John Harkes (1987).

Between 94 and when they merged, the MAC always went to a senior.

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    No doubt. But that has to be balanced against how much better the supporting casts are for the likes of Garey and Freeman.

I mean, Tulsa's schedule is arguably easier than UVa's or Maryland's but the Terps and Cavs also get much better players and have much deeper rosters so their star player doesn't have to carry the team.

I mean, take aware Garey and Freeman and Maryland and UVa would still be good, maybe still be in the Elite Eight. But, take away Pore and do you see Tulsa even making the NCAAs, let alone being a game from the College Cup?

10. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    It might be worth adding that Tulsa has played this whole season without Kyle Brown, who is also legitimately one of the best forwards in the country. After a loss like that, that team could've been forgiven if they hadn't gotten very far.

11. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Actually, if you put any stock in the strength of schedule ratings at soccerratings.com (and I do), Tulsa played a tougher schedule than either UVA or Maryland.

12. TUGoldenHurricane

TUGoldenHurricane New Member

Nov 20, 2003
    Tulsa
    Pore is my favorite (of course I am biased..but also, I have seen this guy play alot, so i have seen the things he can do.)

Pore has singlehandedly won games for TU many times. He can shoot from distance, he can dribble well, school defenders, and he is also very good at free kicks (won the game against SMU with one from just outside the box). i cant wait to see how he does in MLS

13. thesoccermannow1

thesoccermannow1 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    After looking at Tulsa's schedule, they didn't play out of conference games against teams like Manhattan or the powerhouse Longwood. The MVC does have a few teams that are a little weak, but the MVC did have 3 teams in the third round whereas the ACC had 4. As mentioned before, according to soccerratings.com Tulsa did have a harder schedule than UVa and Maryland, but not by a significant difference.