Player of the Season

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by coach20, Mar 12, 2009.

1. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think your assessment of him is harsh.

I think Ireland has shwon great potential this season. He has skill and awareness and an instinct for goal. His work rate is good and technically he accomplished.

I'm not he'll be a Lampard but you can never rule him out.

Lampard was anaverage player until he really hit his stride at Chelsea. Ireland could do something similar......

2. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    But let's say that he does have the natural talent, I don't think he will be given an oppurtunity like Lampard.

3. L-E Dude

L-E Dude New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Okay, but those are two different arguments.

Potential
    We are saying he does have the natural ability. Shown (I believe) not only this season, but 06 and 07 as well. I don't think there are many players in the EPL under 23 that so consistently are able to unlock a defense (whether it be a long or short ball).

Opportunity
    Robinho is generally recognized as being amongst the world's best forwards. He thought he was going to Chelsea and ended-up at Man City. This is not really the same situation that Ireland is in, but it illustrates the point that your potential or ability as a player have less and less to do with what club you end up at.

What will actually happen to Ireland..who can say? Man City can go either way. I don't necessarily agree with it, but if they are committed to him and buy the right players to surround him - he could help make Man City a force.
    Also, with the buying power at Man City now..he could be underappreciated and shipped off to a UEFA bound club like you said.

Only time will tell how his career pans out, but his ability is evident.

4. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    The problem is that City will be able to buy a better player than Ireland to replace him. This will result in Ireland just being used as a sub where he will get a bit dodgy, his form has always been best after a consistant run in the first team. The other possibility is he will be sold most likely to the likes of Fulham, Sunderland, Bolton etc where he will be fielded alongside less skillful players and this I imagine will prevent his progression if he does have the potential others think he has. I think it's a similar situation to Kevin Nolan's, although him and Ireland are nothing alike in terms of play, Kevin Nolan seriously hampered his potential by not leaving Bolton sooner. I feel sorry for any young player that makes the move to a team like Bolton expecting to progress to a decent level, the likes of Ricardo Vaz Te know this only too well.

5. coach20

coach20 New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    stephan ireland is a quality act brilliant player but he is only a great player for a team like city... he wouldnt start for the big four would battle hard to get into villa and evertons sides. hopefully he changes his mind bout the international retirement..

he should definately be in with a shout for player of season

6. L-E Dude

L-E Dude New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Call me an optomist, but...

Ireland would challenge for a first 11 spot at Everton. Especially with the injury and pending recovery of Arteta. Definitely a club he can grow with.

I would also say he would struggle more to get starting time at Villa as they have more quality in the mid and there would be more competition for what Ireland offers.

Unfortunately, BoltonMassiv's scenario seems most likely. Absolutely needs the influence of quality teammates/training to harness his potential.

7. coach20

coach20 New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

evertons midfield consists of neville as the holding midfielder then in front of him with all players fit u have pienaar cahill arteta felliani gosling costello osman and rodwell he would have a hard battle.. i think he cud get in villa easier

8. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    He only has a chance to move to Villa if Barry leaves, and if Villa wanted him it is definitely one of the best clubs to move to as O'Neill would play him for sure, and get the best out of him. I can't see why Everton would want him, and his signing would definitely put down the youngsters coming through.

Given that in the summer Bolton were so close to signing him it wouldn't surprise me if he moved to a similar club, the only reason it fell through was because Nolan's move to Newcastle fell through because Everton got involved then realised they couldn't afford him.

9. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Everton have avery strong midfield. Arteta, Fellaini, Cahill, Pienaar and Phil Neville are a very good unit. Ireland would have a job getting past them, especially Arteta, Cahill and Fellaini..............

10. chrizzah

chrizzah Member

Aug 8, 2000
    DC
    Does nobody think that Marouane Fellaini should be on the shortlist for young player of the year? From what I've seen, his output is on a par with Young and the guy is only 20 or 21. If I'm honest, I haven't seen enough of Chelsea to make a comparison to Mikel.

11. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The only thing going against him is his propensity to pick up bookings and make silly fouls............

12. Gmak

Gmak BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 13, 2005
    Definately.

TBH, I forgot how young he was.

13. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Player of the Season is coming down to a race between Vidic and Gerrard.

I guess it depends on whether you want to vote for a player who has scored 21 goals this season so far or a player who has been sent off 3 times this season so far. :D

14. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thankfully stats don't tell the whole story. How can you quantify how many goals weren't scored because of great defending?

15. coach20

coach20 New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    erm how about the 14 games in a row was it that we never conceded how big a role nemja vidic play in that??? And he has 7 goals to his name as well not to bad i dont fink

16. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fellani?! what the hell has he done to deserve player of the season? he definately wasn't worth the £15m or so Everton paid for him.

17. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Young player of the season is what he is being mentioned for. He has scored a few very important goals for Everton, whilst also being one of the main reasons they have charged up the table, he has created a great link between defence and midfield due to his tackling and how much he gets around, add that to his goals and you have someone competing for player of the season. Unsuprisingly the transfer fee is irrelevant in determining Players of the season, people invest alot of money in the best youth players, and don't forget this is one of the most hotly tipped kids around, who Real Madrid were looking at not long ago.

18. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It will go to Gerrard this season. His goal scoring exploits of late are more eye-catching than the clean sheets Vidic has helped to maitain this season. Goal scorers are always more likely to win POTY awards.

19. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not like Vidic was the only defender to make those 14 clean sheets possible. Basically we agree that Vidic deserves it, but my point is that it is easier to point at a goalscorers stats than an individual defenders stats.

I think you are right that it will probably go to Gerrard because of goalscorer bias.

If Liverpool manage to grab the title, give it to Gerrard. If ManU hold on, give it to Vidic.

20. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Some might argue that, IF Liverpool snatch the title this season, that Alonso might be a more deserving player than Gerrard?

21. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Many would argue that case. Alonso has not only been our best player this season, but he has been our most consistent and also one of our most improved players (in terms of performance).

His good performances have been a key to why we are still within reach of Man Utd despite Torres and Gerrard having injury problems. Now that Mascherano is fit and in form after the Olympics, Xabi might actualy play better and with even more freedom.

22. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Van der Sar, unbeaten in goal for a stupid amount of matches, don't take anything away from him by heaping the praise on Ferdinand or Vidic.

23. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    People have tended to take credit away from Van Der Sar's acheivment saying that he never had anything to do, but the truth is, most top keepers have little to do. Reina, Almunia, Cech - all have the protection of top class players infront of them yet they don;'t see their merits diminished by rival supporters.

The trick is pulling off saves WHEN you're called upon, which VDS did, in every game. Every keeper can sit behind a top defence and have nothing to do, but staying focused and staying alert and sharp is a skill in itself. DVS is a great keeper, one of Europes finest, no doubt. His age is not affecting his abilities as a keeper t all, despite what some might suggest. I don't think he's a contender for POTY though, although those who vote for it might see it differently.

24. coach20

coach20 New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    im man utd thru n thru and edwin an der saar wudnt have went that long with out conceding if it wasnt for rio vidic evans and co..

25. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Considering the voting will be over before we know who will win the title this proposition would not work.

I think it is stupid having the vote before the season finishes anyway. It means the last dozen games or so of the season are not counted at all, and these matches are at the sharp end of the season.