player attitudes (why i like soccer and not basketball)

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Kaiser, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    I'm currently watching the New Zealand v. Jugo slavija FIBA basketball semifinal. During hafltime NBC had a few guests crying about the USA losing. What it boils down to is this, and all those on NBC agree. The attitudes of the American NBA stars. They are unwilling to 1. play as a team. 2. unwilling to give up more time for training and other international matches. Take this in comparison to our Soccer national team. In the USA the players take great pride in playing for the national team. It is every bit as important for them to play for and play well for thier country as they do their clubs.

2. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have to agree. Soccer players don't complaing baout the ir money either! They play for the love of the game. MLS is a prime example.

3. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    about their money** my typing sucks obviously

4. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    its funny basektball fans calling soccer ***************, wuss sports sometimes.
    cuz even Totti cant be even near same level as Vlade Divac when it comes to flopping.

im sick of players constant flopping to cheat ref and bitching about the calls.

5. Luther_Gabriel

Luther_Gabriel New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Most soccer players do have great attitudes. I think Thierry Henry is one of the best examples. He always plays with enthusiasm and love for the game. I think it is great that he has pledged his entire career to Arsenal. Players like that make soccer the great sport that it is.

6. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Most football players are spoiled brats with very lousy attitudes. They are the luckiest bastards on this planet yet they always find something to complain about.

Like being whistled at when they are 0-2 behind against NAC. If they would be more worried about the game then about the whistling maybe it wouldn't be 0-2. You make millions so start working and stop complaining.

7. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've only been the the Ajax arena once (5-2 v NEC about 3 years ago) and the Ajax crowd were the most amazingly hard to please fans I've ever seen. They even whistled at a player because his shot hit a post and went wide.

I've had friends who have worked at football clubs and they've all said that because players are brought up inside a protective bubble where everything is done for them, they have a hard time taking responsibility for anything.

8. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Well you know the Ajax fanatics have been in a state of cold war with the club for years now. 3 years ago was a pretty bad season with a lot of riots and trouble in and around the stadium. Not the best atmosphere ever.

But there was probably another reason for the wistling. I've never experienced any whistling for a shot that hit the post.

I can understand that the players don't like it, but when they're really not trying they get no support. When they play with some spirit they get good support. But we pay good money for the games, so they better work for it. That's the main attitude.

9. bocatuna

bocatuna New Member

Aug 8, 2002
    England
    Ajax defence was so woeful in the first half against NAC they deserved to be shot rather then whistled at. Anybody who can't control a long hoof up the pitch should be sacked.

P.S How long is Chivu out for ?

10. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Our biggest (************) newspaper said he had problems with his meniscus (in the knee) but the Romanian FA said he might be fit for their game against Norway. So I don't know.

I hope he's okay considdering the injury trouble we have had so far. And let's hope vd Vaart will be fit soon. Would be great to have him play a CL match.

11. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Don't kid yourself. US footballers don't seem as bad because they aren't surrounded by people telling them how great they are. At least for the last four years its been just the opposite. If they were, they'd be assclowns like the rest of them. You could compare a US footballer to an Italian footballer just like you could compare a US footballer to a US basketball player.

12. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    except former LA Galaxy forward, L.Hernandez.

13. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    This is true of all big-time athletes, celebrities, etc.

Speaking as a US fan, I'm going to miss this time where the athletes are still human and I can linger for a few beers with someone like John Harkes, Brian McBride or Ryan Nelsen. If soccer does ever become a big-time sport here, those days will be gone for good.

Sachin