Post-match: PL MD3: Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United - Sept. 27, 2020

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by electrickeeper, Sep 25, 2020.

?

Result

Poll closed Sep 27, 2020.
  1. Spurs win by 2+ goals

57.1%
  2. Spurs win by 1 goal

28.6%
  3. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Newcastle win by 1 goal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Newcastle win by 2+ goals

14.3%
  1. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR V NEWCASTLE UNITED
    PREMIER LEAGUE
    SUNDAY 27 SEPTEMBER
    TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR STADIUM
    KICK-OFF: 2.00PM GMT

THFC Injuries

- Gareth Bale (out, knee)
    - Sergio Reguilon (50%, ankle/foot)
    - Japhet Tangana (out, thigh)

Newcastle Injuries

- Fabian Schar (out, shoulder)
    - Martin Dubravka (out, ankle/foot)
    - Matthew Longstaff (out, thigh)
    - Allan Saint-Maximin (50%, ankle/foot)
    - Jamal Lewis (25%, head/face)
    - Paul Dummett (out, hamstring)
    - Ciaran Clark (out, thigh)
    - Dwight Gayle (out, knee)

Form (all matches)
    THFC - WWWL
    Newcastle - WLWW

Newcastle are entering the match following a 7-0 thrashing of Morecambe in the League Cup, while Spurs are coming off of a 3-1 victory in Europa League qualifying against Shkendjia.

I've no idea what to expect as far as a lineup. Dier will probably get the nod alongside Sanchez, with Davies and Doherty on the wing. From the midfield forward is where it gets a little murky as far as predicting an XI. It seems that Mourinho is trusting Tanguy more and more (getting 90 minutes was huge on Thursday, IMO), so I can see him getting some time similar to last week against Southampton.

I'll go with this:

ek's predicted XI
    Lloris
    Doherty - Dier - Sanchez - Davies
    Ndombele - Winks
    Lucas - Lo Celso - Son
    Kane
    Match is on NBCSN in the US. COYS

2. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Match is on NBCSN in the US. COYS

thanks god, i'm sick of all the streaming bs, especially when it's early on for me...
    at least this way i can record it

electrickeeper repped this.
  3. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Peacock has all the games available for replay. Though if you join a game in progress, you can't go back to the start; you need to wait until the replay is up.

4. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm about ready to cut the cord. Peacock could be the decider if it's decent. Haven't heard great things, though the complaints seem be about Xbox support/stuff like that which doesn't apply to old codgers like me.

Seem to remember this fixture early last season, a hundred years ago. Surprise loss and the beginning of the Poch unravelling.

5. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    We will need a bunch of goals, since we can't keep a clean sheet against the likes of Plovdiv and Shkendija.

6. electrickeeper

Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 electrickeeper, Sep 27, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Spurs XI
    Lloris
    Doherty - Sanchez - Dier - Davies
    Hojbjerg - Winks
    Moura - Lo Celso - Son
    Kane​
    Subs
    Hart, Reguilon, Alderweireld, Lamela, Gedson, Ndombele, Bergwijn

Toon XI
    Darlow
    Manquillo - Lascelles - Fernandez - Ritchie
    Shelvey - Hayden - Hendrick
    Almiron
    Joelinton - Wilson
    Subs
    Gillespie, Lewis, Krafth, Yedlin, Murphy, S. Longstaff, Carroll

7. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Overall I think Peacock is fine. It’s $5 a month for what is effectively the Sports Gold package. If they offered all the games at their $10 tier it would be fantastic. Today for example only one match is being shown live.

Phillyspur repped this.
  8. Tim1975

Tim1975 Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Well that was a BS penalty! :mad:

9. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah that was ********ing bullshit. I don't want to hear any crap about how we should've scored more. We controlled the game for 90 minutes and it's the IFAB who have decided that players aren't allowed to jump like human beings anymore.

10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    #10 Golara, Sep 27, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Well, you're gonna hear it, if you don't put shite teams away, you open the door for shite referees to screw you at the end.

Time and again we outplay teams but lack the ruthlessness to finish them off. Unfortunately we will have thrown away too many points by the time Bale gets into the team.

soccernutter repped this.
  11. electrickeeper

Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, Darlow was absolutely amazing. I don't want his performance to get lost amongst the bitching.

12. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Use high technology to call the game like it's childrens' rec league.

13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I don't blame IFAB, they just put their foot down after Mile Riley and the PL went rogue with their laissez-faire use of VAR last season. Unfortunately, this ridiculous hand ball interpretation is the result.

14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A team which wants to contend should not be in a position where a crap call (VAR or not) wipe out their chance for a victory. Spurs at not a team which wants to contend under Mourinho.

Golara repped this.
  15. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Top level soccer is just not like that, never has been. It cannot be the expectation to build up multiple goal leads in every game.

Is every result for you a direct consequence of ONLY Spurs performance? No other factors? Because that's how it reads.

This handball will become the new desperation tactic, like bringing up the keeper for a late corner. Just get the ball in the box and kick it at the defender's arm.

It happened last week for Southampton too, except it made no difference to the result. Seems it is happening multiple games per week.

16. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This happens every year when Newcastle come here. Their keeper makes a bunch of saves, their attack does nothing and somehow they come away with a result.

The only that's different is that this year, the refs helped them. The foul that led to the handball was not a foul and the handball is a result of the IFAB trying to eliminate an inherent grey area of the game.

17. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    There is a reason why we haven't won anything with this group of players and we saw that again today. Newcastle were terrible, their only shot on target was the penalty. Even Brighton walked them last week.

3 games in and we have only managed 4 points against the combined might of Everton, Southampton and Newcastle. I'll give Mourinho a pass today because the players blew this one with their lack of ruthlessness in front of goal.

18. Tim1975

Tim1975 Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  19. Tim1975

Tim1975 Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Bingo! Collectively as a team we need to average 2.25 plus goals per game for and 0.8 goals per game against. Anything outside of that and top four becomes incredibly hard to attain. As much as Dier got f*cked over, the fact we couldn't put 3 or more in the back of the net sealed our fate.

20. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Can they change the regulation during the season? The IFAB sits periodically, but if this goes on football will be unwatchable. From the games I have seen this season, every time the ball goes into the box, the entire attacking team runs to the ref appealing for a penalty! It won't be long before players will start deliberately pinging the ball off defenders' arms to win pens.

The irony of it all was that in the first half, Gio hit the ball off a Newcastle player's hand in front of the box right in front of the ref and he waved play on, because it was not deliberate hand ball. However, had that taken place a yard back, it would have been reviewed by VAR and given as a penalty.

And why after the VAR had given hand ball, checked for offside, did he ask the ref to come to the screen and review the incident? Was he going to say no, it was not a pen after all that? What a shambolic system. Once again the PL has outdone itself in referee ineptitude, no wonder England had no refs at the last World Cup.

21. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Effing VAR will never be anything but shite, no matter how they try to make it work. It will never be satisfactory, and it's inefficiencies will always be far worse than the odd bad call - no matter how bad that call may be. It's just shit - from conception to application. Let the ref call the game. And yet ... though I'll never not hate it, whatever it's implementation, there's no denying that they've somehow contrived to make it vastly worse than it need be. I honestly hate the English Premier League right now. It's a fucking farce.

And make no mistake, it was VAR - not our players, nor our tactics - that effed us out of two points yesterday. We created plenty of chances, and once we converted one, we more-or-less stopped attacking. Had we converted an earlier change, we'd've probably changed it up right then. Believe me, I hate that. So, so effing much. And yet, despite utilizing tactics that I despise, we executed them perfectly. They did not have a sniff. To say that they deserved nothing from that match is in no way an exaggeration.

Bitch about our tactics all you want (I certainly am - I hate them) but they are not to blame for our result. Frankly, VAR should not be let off the hook by looking anywhere else.

22. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I blame our lack of finishing, the tactics were fine. Any of the other top sides would have had the game done and dusted at half-time. Even Brighton shredded these guys.

As for VAR, when I watch CL or other leagues, including MLS, they don't seem to have too many issues with it. For some reason, the quality of officiating is very poor in the PL. When referees like Peter Bankes, Stuart Atwell and Simon Hooper are on the PL referee list, along with refs like Mike Dean and Martin Atkinson, who should have been put out to pasture years ago, you know you have a problem.

23. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007