PK Call Question

Discussion in 'Referee' started by BTFOOM, Jun 12, 2021.

1. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Hi Folks
    Many of you will not know me, but I used to post here quite frequently. I am a coach and like to ask referees questions so I can be cognizant of the current laws and how the are applied. My questions are not meant to be traps or loaded questions but just honest requests for proper information.

We had a match recently where my striker was on clearly fouled in the penalty area. The defender struck him from the side and did not play the ball at all. After the foul, the ball went into the center of the penalty area where my other striker and another defender collided and the ball went out off the defender's leg.

The referee had his whistle in his mouth, but called a corner kick - using his arms to indicate playing advantage.

My question to you: Is there any real advantage (other than a quick goal) where a PK is not the call given? I( know you were not there, but based on my descriptions, I'd just like to know.

I appreciate any responses and will not argue with any of you - though I may ask more questions. I just want to be a more informed coach.

Thanks
    Tom

dadman repped this.
  2. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Did the advantage 'materialize' within a few seconds?

BTFOOM repped this.
  3. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    As described, to me, that’s a penalty.

IASocFan and BTFOOM repped this.
  4. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    #4 Bubba Atlanta, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    Welcome back Tom, good to see you.

As described, that sounds like a clear penalty where the ref simply chickened out or had a brain fart. But, as you say, you had to be there.

But as for your more general question:

That is a deep philosophical conundrum that has long been debated here and elsewhere. Some years ago there was a USSF guidance memo that pretty much said only a scored goal constitutes a realized advantage in the PA. That was controversial and often described as calling for "two bites at the apple." It's no longer in effect (no guidance is, really) and few remember it.

I think most discerning refs would now conclude that yes, there can be a realized advantage in the area that does not produce a goal ... for example where the ball falls to the foot of another attacker right in front of an open net, and she proceeds to shank it over the bar. It really should be a pretty clear advantage though, and materialize (or not) very quickly. None of which sounds like your described situation.

And mind you, it also used to be guidance, and in my opinion still is a "you just know" item, that one should rarely if ever actually signal advantage in the area. Here's one of my old favorites on that score.

dadman, BTFOOM, MJ91 and 4 others repped this.
  5. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    This is a great question. I don't think the 'advantage' ever materialized as my other striker and their trail defender hit the ball at the same time (hence the CK). Again, I understand this is a situation that you would have to see. I appreciate you replying to this question.

Tom

6. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Thanks. I know that it is very hard to apply a decision to a play that you did not see, much less than having a coach who has a 'dog in the fight' describe it to you. I was just trying to understand the thoughts of the ref.

I can tell you that part of this is that I after the ref signaled advantage (he had his two arms extended and said 'play on'), I asked in a very loud voice "How is this advantage???"

He responded that if I said one more word to him, I'd be watching the game from the parking lot. I simply put one hand up in a general "I understand and won't talk to you again" gesture. I only asked him one more question the rest of the game - "Can I come on the field" when I had a player hurt and grabbing his leg.

I appreciate you getting back to me.

dadman repped this.
  7. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I wish I could give you 100 reps. It is always so nice to see your posts and I need to come back here more often.

I will be honest with you that I think he knew he had a 'brain fart' and that's why he got on me so hard when I asked about the advantage (see previous post). He and his crew were overall very good refs and I was happy to have them. I didn't carry on after that and did not talk to them after the game, except to say thank you for reffing this match.

I also very much appreciate you explaining this issue further. I know these types of situations are very difficult (just like offside and handling), but I just needed to know if the ref directions had changed or are different than I understand. I very much try to keep up with the changing laws and their interpretations and implementations, but know that I don't do a great job of this. I also knew that the vast majority of folks who post here would understand that I was not trying to complain about the ref or try to get fellow referees to go against one of their own. I genuinely want to know when I actually know what the law/ implementation is and when I am just another uninformed coach. My guess is most times, I'm the latter.

Lastly, it is a hope of mine that my team will improve enough to be able to play in a tournament where you are reffing, even if just to be able to buy you a beer (or 3).

Thanks
    Tom

dadman and Bubba Atlanta repped this.