Pirlo owns all in free kicks

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by roma/totti, Dec 18, 2005.

1. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
  2. Forza Badger

Forza Badger New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    i'm
    From reading this thread and the other, what do you have against Pirlo? You seem to have described him in the other thread as some kind of non-entity. Have you ever seen him play for AC Milan, because I'll tell you, he is an integral part of our team. He also plays a similar role for the NT. Players like Pirlo may seem useless (to the ignorant) but when played properly he is quite effective. For us, he serves to help the defense and he is the focal point of many an attack. His passes literally have shredded opposing teams defenses and helped provide the necessary catalyst for Shevchenko, and the rest of our strikers. He is a valuable player, I don't know where I would rate him in a world class scale, but he is one of Italy's better talents right now.

That said, Juninho is the better free kick taker, as that is what this thread is about. Pirlo is starting to hit very good form though, and seems to be getting extremely good. At 25, he has plenty of time to perfect things.

:rolleyes:

3. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Pirlo is a great set piece man. No doubt. As is Juninho Pernambucano. Some of the people on here blind if they knock on Pirlo, but whatever. I think Juninho is a better goal-scorer. That's his job, since he's an AM. Pirlo is just a great playmaker. his job isn't to score. Both players have their qualities, and like I said, on any team, they would both be feared when taking those free kicks.

4. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    No doubt Juninho is better than Pirlo. Juninho has been doing it more consistently for longer.

5. Miller2010

Miller2010 New Member

Oct 23, 2005
    Djimi Traore has a champions league title.

Back to the comparrison, id say juninho is the best in the world at the minute, pirlo not far behind in second.

6. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think we should all ignore levineto. He is just a racist who just doesn't know a lot or knows nothing at all about Italy.

7. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Gentlemen: I have some numbers.

Pirlo's goals from free-kicks

Brescia: 2
    Reggina: 3
    AC Milan: 7
    Champions League, AC Milan: 3
    Azzurri: 3

That's 18 free-kick goals in his professional career; 12 in
    Serie A. Given that Pirlo is only 26, these numbers are quite
    impressive. I will look for Juninho's numbers soon. Cheers.

Source: andreapirlo.com

8. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I don't recognise two of his Azzurri goals. :p :(

9. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    If he played more (which I'm sure Inter fans would be aghast at), Sinisa Mihajlovic might still be considered the best FK taker in the world. As impressive as Pirlo's 18 career goals off set pieces are, Mihajlovic once had more than 10 in one SerieA season.

10. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Indeed.

Are there are stats of his freekick goals?

11. The Bergamister

The Bergamister New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think Del Piero actually scored a bunch as well.. I remember him scoring more then 10 one season and also doing a freekick hattrick in one game think it was 96?

And he is still good for about 5 or 6 each season..; So he must be well over 50 by now

12. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's because they were against Scotland.

So far, he has scored at least two beauties, one against Ascoli and another against Rapid Vienna. Both are free-kicks that I'd want to see time and time again.

13. Serb

Serb New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Southern Ontario
    Sinisa Mihajlovic holds the all-time record for most free kicks ever scored in the Serie A, and it's around 40.

14. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    And they weren't fouls and our keeper was injured. :(

15. kleenex

kleenex New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    He have scored 36 goals in Serie A, some of them are penalties. So it can't be anything near 40. But he does hold the all-time record, it's 27 :eek: , followed by Zola's 19, and then Baggio and Maradona's 14. Mihajlovic WAS the best freekick taker, no doubt. He had a hat trick against Samp in 98/99, can't recall anyone doing the same.

Back to the main man of this topic, Pirlo. He has by far scored 11 freekicks in Serie A, very impressive at the age of 26.
    btw, he also scored 4 for U21 ;) I still remember two of them, one beat France (Henry and Trez in team) in play-off and the other gave Italy their 4th U21 title.

I kinda believe you may mistake penalties for freekicks...

Here is the statistic of the past 4 seasons. This season Pirlo has 4 and Volpi has 2 till now, not very sure though. I reckon Serie A is the most difficult league for feekick takers as they are famous for top GKs and defenders.
    [​IMG]

16. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    never happened.

17. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    no doubt about it. him and recoba would both get a ton if they played consistently.

18. dante7

dante7 New Member

Nov 4, 2005
    bournemouth
    pirlo is a great freekick taker and scores a lot of goals from dead ball situations but junniniho pernambucano is the no.1 at the moment.

19. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Where did you get those stats, Kleenex? They
    look familiar, perhaps, because I recall seeing
    the Gazzetta dello Sport running a graphic on
    this issue.

Looks like Pirlo is destined to surpass Baggio, Zola,
    Maradona, and Platini. It will be impressive if he can
    over-take Sinisa, but he's still young.

20. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    pirlo has more range on his shot then Baggio had. he almost never scored free kicks from more then 20+ meters. same with Maradona and Platini.

21. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Good point. Not sure if he has the range Mihajlovic had, though. He would score diagonal kicks from 30-35 meters.

I'm surprised Baggio had 14. I tought I saw him score a lot more :confused:. Didn't he score like 3 olympic goals as well? Or am I crazy?

Sempre, it would be great if you can find Juninho's stats. I've been trying to find them, as well as the ones for Beckham and Rogerio Ceni. If anyone out there has a link, please share.

Rep for Kleenex on the stats.

22. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I've looked but can't seem to Juninho's stats. Perhaps you
    can ask someone in the OL forum?

23. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Excuses, excuses, excuses.

24. Serb

Serb New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Southern Ontario
    Good post.

25. Glass Moon

Glass Moon Member

Jul 15, 2005
    Brasil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Well, acording to wikpedia Juninho has scored 23 goals for Lyon in free kicks.

I know that he has scored 3 free kicks for Brazil NT. And that he has scored 24 goals for Vasco, but I don´t how many of them were on free kicks. Also no idea about his status with his former team Sport.