Pimpin' ain't easy (ACORN remix)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by marek, Sep 11, 2009.

1. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    it ain't easy, good thing ACORN is there to help!

"One day after two ACORN officials in Baltimore were fired for offering to help a man and woman posing as a pimp and prostitute to engage in child prostitution and a series of tax crimes, another secretly shot videotape has surfaced that shows the same couple getting similar advice from ACORN officers in Washington."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,549241,00.html

2. Steamer

Steamer New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    If memory serves me correctly, this organization has some ties to someone who ran for president or who became president.
    Nah. I must be mistaken. These guys are an innocent bi-partisan org & this was just a fluke happening.

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And, uh, how many ACORN offices did they go to before they found two of them (because apparently they have video from DC, too) that had low enough standards to hire minimum-wage workers who were stupid enough to fall for it. From what I can tell, the "film-makers" found two offices, and in both cases, the idiots were immediately fired.

I'd like to see the footage of them being thrown out of offices, too, before I make any judgments about the organization as a whole.

4. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    barack hussein owes ACORN a great debt of gratitude, they worked hand in hand to help get him elected.

5. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. I remember election day. Me and my lilly-white neighborhood homies weren't going to vote until the ACORN bus pulled into our neighborhood and paid us all five whole dollars and a lunch just as long we filled in the dot for the black man running for President of THE United States.

Careful, Beerking. Your hood is showing.

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    ACORN is sooo last year, Wingnuts. For fun's sake, can you at least do a "Where Are They Now" with Monica Lewinsky?

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, you lot can gloss over this as much as you want. I, personally, am shocked... shocked, I tell you, to find out that there are, apparently, a few people in America who, a) don't know the law, b) aren't very bright, and c) have a very loose moral code.

I'll tell you one thing I know and I'd ask you all to consider the fact, (and it IS a fact). That if one went after people in other organisations, including those funding the republicans and, for example, offered THEM inducements to break the law, even if you offered them MONEY, they STILL wouldn't do anything wrong. NO! NO WAY would they commit an act that could be considered wrong either legally OR morally. To get them to consider such a thing you'd have to offer them literally DOZENS of dollars.

8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
  9. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I'm guessing Waffle House.

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Guess again, Monica got went on to earn a Masters degree.

11. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said she was working there?

12. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Weird how when something involving the "wingnuts" happens, the thread is beat to death by big soccer posters, but when it involves the libs, it dies out after two days

13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously. I've got a master's degree, and I've been known to visit Waffle House occasionally.

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Because half the time, the "wingnuts" don't have anything real except their own hysteria. ACORN is another case in point. Seriously: it's not as powerful or as important as wingnuts believe...

... case in point, the second article. If the organization really had the kind of connections and clout that the "wingnuts" fear that it did, the Senate wouldn't have voted 83-7 to strip it of money. I mean, here we have a couple of cases of extreme stupidity at the lowest levels of the orgazination costing the organation quite a lot of coin.

What happened when we had extreme stupidity at the highest levels of, say, the banking and finance sectors, or real estate? How about Insurance.... Hmmmm. Most of the time, the Senate just gives them what they want or otherwise bails them out.

The fact that no one is bailing out ACORN should really assuage the wingnut's fears. But since their fears are founded on paranoia and projection, it won't.

15. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some questions to ponder...

1. How long has ACORN been around ?
    2. Where did it start ?
    3. What is its primary mission ?
    4. Who funds its primary mission ?
    5. What do independant people say about ACORN's success in its primary mission ?

16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    1. Who cares?
    2. Who cares?
    3. Who cares?
    4. Who cares?
    5. Who cares?

It's a popular talking point that sill brings ratings so it's relevant.

17. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    So you don't mind that some of your tax dollars are going to this organization? One that appears to be a place where people launder their money? Cool, everyone is entitled to their opinion...

Case in point, 8 billion in stimulus funds. They probably voted this way because of the evidence against it. Did you think of that?

Let's just see how this plays out, you know, roll the dice a bit.

I didn't know that ACORN was experiencing fiscal problems. Case in point, again, they've got 8 billion of stimulus funds slated their way.

18. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Like I said, if this involved the right, you'd be all over it. Sad.

19. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats the problem. Facts be damned. Throw out the baby with the bath water. Its black and white. You are either with us or against us.

Maybe ACORN should be out of the census business and the voter registration business because they are having some issues there (no, duh). But their record on housing (since the mid-1970's, when they started, is excellent.

20. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    What is their record on housing? I'm looking to start a brothel, so I figured this was right up their alley.

21. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Can someone tell me exactly when and how ACORN stuffed ballots or otherwise committed election fraud? Please provide links.*

*Please don't mention that time ACORN reported its volunteers signing up fake names like members of the Dallas Cowboys, because (a) ACORN was following the law and prevented false registrations and (b) false voter registration is not election fraud

22. Steamer

Steamer New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Supposedly, we will be blessed with a new ACORN tape tonight. It's supposed to be the worst, yet.
    Since you won't see it on any of the leftwing news, you'll have to tune into Fox for the story.

23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is ACRON such a big story? I don't get it. I'm sure that there's been some wrongdoing in such a big organization. But in the big scheme of things, looking at some of the serious issues facing our country and our planet, all the right-wing hyperventilating about this organization seems at best one step above "attractive blonde American female kidnapped in [fill in the blank]--Greta Van Sustren and Nancy Grace are on the case!"

24. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Sounds like Congress, the DOD, Enron...

Look-- our political positions are chosen based on what we think is most important at the moment.

You fret about ACORN, I don't particularly. When the Allies decided to "take Hitler first" it was not intended to be an endorsement of Tojo.