Pick the king - Charles or William?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by verybdog, Nov 2, 2003.

1. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Who do you prefer to be King of England? Charles or William? and why?

2. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a conversation with some of my British friends about this last summer. They're not royalists, and they said they wouldn't mind if the whole lot was thrown out on the death of Elizabeth II. I asked them, "What about the tourist trade?" They looked at each other and said, "Well, we'll keep a few of them, then." But none of them thought much of Charles. Modesty prohibits me saying the exact words they used to describe him.

King Gringo Tex has a nice ring to it, though.

3. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I voted for GringoTex just for the heck of it. Plus, he would make a good king.

Charles is the heir to the British throne. Therefore, he should become the king and sovereign head of state for Great Britain and No. Ireland, and its commonwealth nations.

4. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    have some watery tart lob a scimitar at them, and who ever catches it...

5. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Neither. I don't want theoretical power held in the six-fingered hands of those genetic paddling pools.It's about time we grew up as a nation and declared a Republic.

There are aspects of the US structure I admire (as many as the practices I don't), such as the separation of powers, checks and balances between the legislature and executive, the existence of a codified constitution etc. If this can be adapted to a British system, I'd think it would be great, as long as no-one elects Tony Blair as President.

6. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    King of England... how typically American.

Anyway I voted for Gringo Tex because a) I'm a republican and b) I've been given the chance to vote and made my choice.

7. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    It's not just Americans. For example, ex-King Farouk said, "Soon there will be only five kings left - the King of England, the King of Spades, the King of Clubs, the King of Hearts and the King of Diamonds."

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I would like to nominate Elizabeth Hurley. She is the hottest thing in England.

Long live queen Elizabeth the third!

9. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    Here's a puzzler:

Who gets beheaded first in the reign of HRH Gringo the First, Guy Ritchie or Madonna?

10. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Acting like we should give a flying *#*#*#k....how typically British.

11. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    King Arthur didn't exist. No Kings were chosen that way. Traditionally, Monarchic dynasties have taken power through bloodthirsty warfare, with the losers generally beheaded or chopped into messy little pieces on a battlefield somewhere. A little less peotic than the mythical legend, but it's time we had another takeover and I favour the battle method. Sod having Kings & Queens who look at home a formal banquets. I want a Henry VIII type king who looks like he's run a sword through his enemies on many occasions, and sits at a big wooden table eating feasts with his bare hands and drinking goblets of wine. I want a king who, for the christmas speech shags, a serving wench right there on the table, live to the nation. The sort of king who tells the pope to piss off and starts his own religion so he can shag as many women as he wants. A king we could be proud of, even if he had syphallis.

12. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Look who started this thread you muppet. The only reason the royal family is still around is because you Americans love everything about them... thanks.

13. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Are you that King Richard? :)

14. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I vote for Charles. He rocks.

15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure go ahead and blame us, we're used to it. To be honest though, nobody truly gives a fuck about your royal family. We just like watching the bad things that happen to them.

btw, vbd is not American. He's just here to study

16. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Oh, thank you for telling everybody that, Mr Moderator!

17. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    See that, Mr. Prenn. That's a typical American attitude - anything unsuitable to their palate, they call it "unamerican" and try to tell the messenger move to France.

18. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF are you ranting about?

Unamerican? Telling people to move to France? Are you sure you're in the right thread?

19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not like you haven't mentioned it before!

20. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Uh-oh, the moderator is in the angry mode, I better go back to the topic.

Look, saying we Americans don't give a rat's arse about the royal family is a blatant lie as we know it. We deeply care about the scandals of the royal family as much as we care about the Red Sox games. We deeply care about Mr. Tony Blair and the British people.

Long live the King!

21. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speak for yourself.

As a New Yorker, I could give a rats ass about the Red Sux. I hope they all burn in hell. Hey, I kind of feel the same way about the Royal family too...

maybe there's a connection somewhere.

22. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    ...these damn Yankees! Glad they lost the World Series...

23. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Completely missing the point...how typically English.

24. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Mr. Prenn has a point!

Imagine NBC or ABC or CBS no longer broadcasting these Royal gossips!

25. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hoping somebody burns in hell is hardly an indicator of your lack of interest in them. There must be some Americans that have an inexpicable interest in them or they wouldn't be on the news over there. I'm sure your news doesn't feature stories of the Swedish royal family for example (which is a shame as I saw a postcard of them this summer and one of the princesses is pretty hot - or maybe she was a ringer).

One odd thing is that if Charles becomes king he won't be King Charles, he'll be King George. Apparently he thinks the name King Charles is too closely associated with beheading, the fate that befell one of the last two.

I think he could choose a better name than George though. Go back to that never-to-be-forgotten era of 955 to 959 when the country was ruled by King Eadwig.

For those who claim England is less PC than the US, please note that we did our bit for the disabled right back as early as 1016, when Edmund Ironside became the world's first king in a wheelchair to take the throne (specially converted with supporting side bars for his entire 7 month reign).