Pick 7 or 8 European teams that are going to advance the group stage

Discussion in 'World Cup 2022 - Qatar' started by Viking lord, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Viking lord

Viking lord Member

Uruguay
    Aug 4, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Since the start of the modern world cup era, the number of European teams that have progressed out of the group stage has been more or less distributed in this way:

1998 - France (Europe): 10/15
    Scotland, Austria, Spain, Bulgaria and Belgium failed to make it out of the groups.

2002 - South Korea - Japan (Not Europe): 9/15
    France, Slovenia, Portugal, Poland, Croatia, Russia failed to make it out of the groups.

2006 - Germany (Europe): 10/14
    Poland, Serbia and Montenegro, Czech Republic and Croatia failed to make it out of the groups.

2010 - South Africa (Not Europe): 6/13
    France, Greece, Slovenia, Serbia, Denmark, Italy and Switzerland failed to make it out of the groups.

2014 - Brazil (Not Europe): 6/13
    Croatia, Spain, Italy, England, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Portugal and Russia failed to make it out of the groups.

2018 - Russia (Europe): 10/14
    Iceland, Serbia, Germany and Poland failed to make it out of the groups.

2018 - Qatar (Not Europe): ??/13

Let's say hypothetically you can only choose up to 7 or 8 European teams to advance out of the groups in this non-European World Cup, which teams would you choose? Which teams do you think are going to fail?

BocaFan repped this.
  2. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    If I have a limit of 8 then NED, ENG, DEN, FRA, GER, ESP, BEL, POR will advance.

But being honest I'm also expecting Croatia and Serbia/Switzerland to advance.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  3. Viking lord

Viking lord Member

Uruguay
    Aug 4, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    It's just a little exercise for fun, I mean on paper you can put all the Europeans as favorites to advance (Well only one of Serbia/Switzerland, but you get the point), however things never go as planned. Pretty sure you could pinpoint Spain, Portugal and at least one of Italy/England advancing in 2014 yet they failed.

Also I forgot to put my picks:
    1. Netherlands
    2. England
    3. Denmark
    4. Spain
    5. Germany
    6. Croatia
    7. Serbia
    8. Portugal
    I'm expecting the Champions Curse to fall upon France, and I don't why, but I have a hunch that Belgium is going to disappoint.

Kamtedrejt and Domitian repped this.
  4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, I could see Belgium disappointing, but I think they caught a break by playing Croatia last. So, even if they screw up one of the games against Morocco or Canada, they'd probably advance with a draw to Croatia. Croatia would likely also be happy with the draw; they might even rest some of their older players if they are safe - not much benefit to finishing first or second in that group.

The worst France can do is six points. Still possible to get eliminated with 6 points - in fact, we are probably due for that happening by now. Don't think its ever happened (came close in 2010 with Chile, Spain and Swiss).

Cosmin10 and Every Four Years repped this.
  5. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And even closer with Mexico last time.

Cosmin10 and Every Four Years repped this.
  6. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Belgium not only caught a break by playing Croatia last but also by playing Canada first. Canada haven't been at the World Cup in modern times and who knows how the players will handle the situation to be on the limelight. Statistically, teams who enter the World Cup after a 20 year or longer haitus have an abysmal record in their opening games. So, there's that.

I stand by what I said before. There is now way both France and Belgium will advance. One of them will shit the bed, guaranteed. Every World Cup is producing at least one big European casualty. I wouldn't bet on this odd trend to get broken in Qatar.

7. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Finaly someone else who doubts Belgium. You have a good hunch with France and Belgium. I think France might escape from the winners' curse as long Deshamps picks the right squad but Belgium are full steam heading towards disaster as far as I'm concerned. They might just get by with their nonchalant play in the Nations League but this will obviously not work at the World Cup.

Viking lord repped this.
  8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Sure, one big European casualty but that doesn't mean France and/or Belgium. Mathematically speaking, the casualty is more likely to come from group E since it contains 2 big European countries. Or Group H because there seems to be a smaller gap in talent between the Euro team and the rest.

Testator repped this.
  9. The Zeta Variant

The Zeta Variant Red Card

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    Group H? Are you sure about that ? Have you looked at Portugals options ?

10. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Statistically Belgium and France are the heavyweights at most at risk of getting grouped. Make of that whatever you want.
    Doesn't mean of course that it can't occur to another powerhouse.

11. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Some folks predict Portugal to be the powerhouse that gets grouped. Probably because of Santos and Portugal having struggled in group play in recent major tournaments.

Rafael Leao is hitting new heights. And they got a strong squad with many options anyway.
    I'm fairly certain that Portugal will advance.

12. The Zeta Variant

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    Yeah but there’s too much quality on the team right now I don’t see them not getting first comfortably

13. Viking lord

Viking lord Member

Uruguay
    Aug 4, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    We'll see. Now with our new manager I'm pretty confident that we can top the group.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  14. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think on paper Portugal and Uruguay are both just too strong for Ghana and SK. I would also have to say on Paper Portugal is definitely above Uruguay. The difference isn't huge but definitely favors Portugal, but Alonso has Uruguay playing a better brand of football over Portugal and Santos. The main hope several us are clinging too is that after falling into the playoffs our level of play has slightly improved overall. Just hard to imagine Santos won't fall back into his old ways and we revert back to playing 2 levels below our quality.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The options are the same (or worse) as when they barely qualified. Half their squad is in poor form or injured atm . I am not predicting them not to advance but compared to France's chances v Australia and Tunisia....come on....

16. The Zeta Variant

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    Half the squad in poor form? Who half our squad ball out on the worlds
    Top teams

17. The Zeta Variant

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    You will be disappointed

18. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think you may be confusing Portugal with another team. I seriously mean that, you may have officially lost touch with reality.

Kamtedrejt and The Zeta Variant repped this.
  19. The Zeta Variant

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    The teams with the most in form players are Portugal and Brazil and that will be the final

20. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    As long as Brazil don't slip up v Serbia and finish 2nd in their group.
    In that case it would be a Round of 16 encounter.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Ok, you responded to that post as if it was serious. :(

Cosmin10 repped this.
  22. The Zeta Variant

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    Yeah, same with us . Uruguay can top our group if we slip up and aren’t on our game. it will be Portugal and Uruguay, I’m confident Portugal will come first but if not Uruguay will,

23. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Portugal - Brazil final is a decent possibilty. I thought about that final as well. But so did I about Brazil - Spain or Brazil - Germany.....
    But that's all under the condition Brazil finish 1st which isn't a given this time because Serbia can beat anyone on their day.

24. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    If I had to limit it to 8 teams

— Netherlands
    — England
    — Poland
    — France
    — Spain
    — Germany
    — Croatia
    — Portugal

Yeah, I'm listing Poland. Sonething nobody did. It's just the group in which they are in. I think it's a dream draw for Poland. If they don't get out of their group this time they will never do.

I think Serbia and probably Denmark will advance as well. But there things look a little bit trickier to me.

25. The Zeta Variant

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    I predict the final four will be
    Argentina v Brazil, England v Portugal