Pichon et les Bleues! [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by DennisM, Aug 23, 2002.

1. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    France defeated 2-0 today with a goal by Pichon in the 31st minute and one from Sonia Bompastor in the 36th minute. Here's the rough translation of the article put out by the FFF:

By beating Denmark (2-0) Friday evening in Lens, in the first leg of the journey to the World Cup next year, the French national team made a good start to qualification. The return leg will take place on Sunday the 15th of September in Odense. If the recent defeat conceded vis-a-vis Switzerland (1-2), a match of preparation, gave birth to some concern in the stands from the tricolour supporters, the players of Elisabeth Loisel quickly showed in this game that what they could do to take advantage of one simple mishap. Thus, after first fifteen minutes balanced, the Blues resolutely took the match into their hands, dominating the Danes and creating several rather clear occasions. Ascending to score twice after a half an hour of play thanks to two goals registered almost one after another: the first by the inevitable Marinette Pichon (31st), and the second by the player montpelliéraine, Sonia Bompastor (36ème, photograph below). In second period, the Blues went about containing the rather hesistant Danish reaction rather easily to the great happiness of the 8,000 people at the Satde Felix-Bollaert in Lens. One will be able simply to consider it regrettable that Les Bleues could not convert the three on two chances which were presented to them . In this first match between these two teams since Euro 2001 when the Danes won 4-3, Les Bleues avenged that loss to the Scandinavians. It is a done thing. But only one half of the course has been completed. It will be necessary to preserve this advantage of two goals on the 15th at Odense to continue the road which leads to World Cup in China in 2003 A road which will pass through either England or Iceland...

Bompastor and several other National team members are involved in the CNFE which is a boarding school which combines training in soccer(playing as well as medical stuff) as well as a university for those subjects that people may want to study. Pichon now has 43 international goals in 61 matches. Bompastor's goal was her first in 28 matches. She is a defender, you know and only 23.
    Also defender Corinne Diacre played in her 90th match for Les Bleues. In a little article I saw about her it mentioned that she is hoping to break Kristine Lilly's record. However, the article says that Lilly has played in more internationals than French women's team has ever played so it will be hard to beat. So Pichon and the French are one step close to going to the World Cup. Yes and Oui!

2. SoccStarTW

SoccStarTW New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Philly (Berwyn)
    I'm Glad

I'm glad that Pichon scored and won in her match today. She's such an awesome player and really deserves it. The win, MVP, Offensive player, and first team All-WUSA must be making the loss in the Playoffs a little better for her. I know it would at least help me a little :)

~Kara

3. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I would think France is in a good position to proceed to the next round.

Denmark winning 2-0 at home would send it to PK's, I don't know if golden goal is used if it's 2-0.

So Denmark needs to win by 3, and since Denmark didn't get any road goals, ANY French road goals would give them the edge in any 2 goals Danish win.

With Denmark needing to push forward, that leaves them more vulnerable in the back, with a lot more space for Pichon to exploit.

Who wants an England and France home and away.

That would be great for female soccer in England and France.

Now if ONLY Kelly Smith could be healthy.