Photo of the 2009 NISL Championship trophy

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by cardshopmd, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Blastnut2

Blastnut2 Member

Feb 25, 2008
    How many trophies in sports live up to the ideas and the effort that the trophies represent? There are some, but more often than not the mystique of the championship and the desire for the championship far out-strip whatever trophy, plaque or cup that is given to represent the acheivement. Compare the NCAA Basketball Championship trophy to the hype.

2. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    In fact the only true "trophy" in North American sport is the Stanley Cup.

Everything else is awarded after the fact, ...you win the World Series you get a trophy, ...you win the Super Bowl, you get a tropy, ...you win the NBA finals, you get some mass produced POS trophy, they produce a new one each year, the winner always gets to keep theirs.

Only the Stanley Cup where the event is winning the trophy, its not called the North American Hockey Championship or the NHL Championship, its the Stanley Cup. You are trying to win the right to hoist the Stanley Cup.

I guess maybe I should give NISL a pass on this. I'm starting to slip back into the negative 'this is never gonna work' thinking on indoor soccer. This sport is just so f***** frustrating. I mean one step forwards and 15 back. Nowadays the one step forward is even gone, its the Italian Army full scale retreat!

I now like NISL trophy and fully congratulate the Blast for winning the NISL championship and 10 000 fans. Just don't ask me to put that thing in my living room.

3. Soccer-Man

Soccer-Man New Member

Nov 12, 2005

I think for a first year league that average just under 4,500. With two teams averaging over 6,300 (Blast 7,600), and a Championship around 10,000, that incredible. Trophy aside, no other indoor soccer league have the above numbers. Say what you want, but the Blast is still playing to decent crowds while the AFL went under. Indoor soccer hasn't lost (officially folded) a team in well over a year. Not bad.

The trophy will hopefully improve, but I'll take a weak-looking trophy with those strong NISL attendance numbers anyday.

4. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, but the English teacher in me needs to correct the grammar. It's "you're" if you mean "you are."

5. FifaMan328

FifaMan328 Member

Dec 5, 2008
    English?
    What is that?

6. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    WTF?

The NISL averaged under 4,000 a game.
    Orlando didn't "officially" fold because they're on hiatus? That's a good one. If ever there was a code word in this sport it's "hiatus."

7. lmfoust

lmfoust Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    amen to that! :(

8. MOREHEAD

MOREHEAD Member

Sep 23, 2008
    if i am not mistaken i think kansas city and st louis are both still on hiatus from the misl 2.:d

9. CFL-fan

CFL-fan Member

May 1, 2006
    Maryland
    Missed one. The Grey Cup trophy, a symbol of Canadian football supremacy, was originally an amateur award, destined to be presented to the senior hockey champions of Canada. However, after Sir H. Montague Allan offered the Allan Cup for hockey competition, Lord Albert Henry George Grey, the fourth Earl and Governor General of Canada, donated the Grey Cup in 1909. It was destined to be awarded to the team winning the Senior Amateur Football Championship of Canada. The Grey Cup is awarded annually to the CFL champion. Much like the Stanley Cup used in the National Hockey League, the Grey Cup is reused every year. This varies from other professional sports leagues, which make a new (but identical) trophy every season for the new champion. The Grey Cup has the team's name and players, coaches, & other staff members engraved every year onto the Cup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Grey_Cup_circa_2006.jpg

The Stanley Cup is the oldest professional sports trophy in North America. Originally inscribed the Dominion Hockey Challenge Cup, the trophy was donated in 1892, by then Governor General of Canada Lord Stanley of Preston, as an award for Canada's top-ranking amateur ice hockey club.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Cup