Phoenix FC v. Orlando City, Sun. April 7 7:30pm, P/I/P

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising FC' started by Matt117, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This seems like it will be a rough game. It should help gauge where the team stands in USL though.

Mackie was going to be the 18 last I heard.

2. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mackie may be there symbolically, but the likelyhood of him playing is very very low.

3. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JESUS CHRIST, the feed's audio is horribly out of sync!

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Jesus' day off. He's not reading Bigsoccer today.

5. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh look. They finally put a timer on the scoring bug.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having worked with the company that they're using, I can tell you they are working hard and giving it a good effort. I don't know what the deal is with the audio, though.

7. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there was a sync issue against LA, too, but I don't think it was that bad that time.

8. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a disappointing yet fun game. Orlando City players seemed disappointed in their performance on twitter. Not sure if they really did play poorly or if Phoenix FC was better than they expected.

I am really impressed with Renan. The guy is big, fast for his size, and good with the ball.

Was surprised to see a second supporter's group there. A united group would be best, but if this other group is bringing fans to the games, especially Latin fans, that is great for the team.

My only complaint about my experience at the game is that I went to buy a scarf and they were sold out. They are sold out online too. I guess that is a good thing though, just not for me.

9. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they did make that mistake at the beginning that let Faria score, and Dwyer missed that PK.

Phoenix did play well last night. Nothing to be ashamed of on your end.

10. Golot

Golot Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Chandler, AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another interesting thing is the attendance of 2329 posted on the USL site. It seemed to me yesterday, at the game, that the attendance was very similar to last week's against Tampa.

11. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On TV there were some noticeable empty seats, and a large chunk of empty seats on the end opposite LFR. Though personally, based on what they announced for Tampa, I thought the announced number would be higher. Still it's not bad, and certainly nowhere near Charlotte, Dayton or LA territory. o_O

I'm thinking you'll do a little better next home match, since it's at 6pm instead of 7:30pm on a Sunday night. Saturdays will probably do better, too.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would be the only person who I have spoken to who was there who said that.

13. Golot

Golot Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Chandler, AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. It wasn't as good as last week's, but certainly, the difference was not 2000 people... from 4000+ last week to 2300 yesterday?

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Humans are notoriously, and scientifically proven, to have trouble estimating the size of crowds. And part of what you're experiencing is a psychological concept known as "anchoring."

The alternative, given what you're saying, is that they deliberately under-reported last night's crowd (nobody does that) or over-reported last week's (which happens quite often, and may or may not have happened then).

Supposedly the place seats 3,622 now. (By the way, the club has done a professional seating chart now, so kudos). Sections 301 and 302 are GA, so the number of people who can be in there or were in there can't be completely adequately quantified.

There were obvious empty seats (including all 81 seats in 207, for some reason). Whether there were 1,293 empty seats, well, I don't know.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IF the place does seat 3,622, there would have to be 1,385 seats between Sections 301 and 302 in the south end, which seems like a lot, given the entire west side doesn't seat that many.

16. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were definitely less people there last night compared to last Saturday, but still a good crowd all things considered.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they got that crowd every night (even when it's 113), it would be a very good start for a new franchise. The stadium's intimacy and the view is really, really good.

They'd be better off than anybody in the league outside of Charleston, Orlando, Rochester and Wilmington and possibly Pittsburgh (given their stadium is brand new, purpose-built and has probably the best backdrop in the league). They're already far ahead of Charlotte, Dayton, Los Angeles and Tampa and arguably have a better situation than Harrisburg and Richmond.

18. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think attendance-wise Phoenix and Pittsburgh will end up on-par, but Pittsburgh with its new stadium has an edge for now. Regardless, Phoenix definitely looks like a positive addition as it stands right now.

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they built a new stadium on Tempe Town Lake, that would be epic.

20. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dwyer put it on frame and in a good location, but Weber saved it.

I am in 206 and I seem to remember people in 207. The section to the south of 207 was empty though. I was more focused on the game and can't remember how much I had to drink that night though, so I might not be the most reliable source.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, it's 208, the "Party Zone" that had a party of two in it.

You just apparently can't pre-purchase tickets there. Looks like there are maybe 55 or 60 seats there?

22. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, there are probably 50-60 seats in 208, but also room for people to stand.

I remember the Rockies used to and maybe still do sell inexpensive, but still good, tickets on game days only. They called the section the Rockpile or something like that. Maybe Phoenix FC is trying to do something similar with 208, the Party Zone.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Rockies did The Rockpile when they were in Mile High and had a kabillion seats (and sold the majority of them). They do still have $5 deep center field seats at Coors Field, but you can buy them prior to gameday.

24. Golot

Golot Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Chandler, AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much are the tickets for 208?

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't list them on the site, so we don't know.

They've tweaked ticket structure a bit. They got rid of "Front Row North" (was $19 day of game) and "Midfield East" (was $18 day of game), converting what would have been "Midfield East" into what was originally called "Economy" at $16. And it looks like Supporters section tickets were $16 originally day of game, now they're $14 pre-gameday (maybe they're still $16 day of game, I don't know).

I wonder if the day of game price includes the facility fee and ticketing fee that you'd pay anyway, so it's a wash. Don't know.

(And it looks like they've only sold 45 $9 seats for Sunday in the two end line sections.)