Phoenix FC General Info and News page

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising FC' started by Killersheep, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They said pricing would be announced when the stadium announcement was made, but.......well.........they haven't yet.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope you're right, Devon, but it won't be easy. Tickets don't sell themselves, and that would be an ambitious goal for any USL Pro team, especially one that has (as of this writing) no one I can see in the organization who has actually sold soccer tickets before, or who is tasked with doing that now.

So, yeah, it does go with question. Surely, it's possible - the Cleveland Caps had a huge crowd for their first-ever home game back in '97, but it was either a mirage or some sleight of hand, because it never happened again and the team was done by the end of 1998.

It's very, very, very difficult to sell 5k tickets to a DIII game. It can - and has - been done. But it doesn't just happen.

3. Gutika113

Gutika113 New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The landscape of soccer is very different than it was in 1997 :) You're right, it can't just happen, and there will have to be work put into it, and I can tell you that when those players report for pre season, they'll be spending quite a bit of time doing appearances for that very purpose.

There are a couple of teams in the USLPRO that average higher attendance than 5k, so i'm sure it can be done, especially with the stadium being near perfect as far as appearance, location, accessibility, etc.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a couple, yes: Orlando and Rochester, one with a good-sized staff and investment and one with a long history. Wilmington does well, too, and Wilmington has a history as well, and the Hammerheads really matter to that community. But no one else has ever averaged 5k at the DIII level (and Orlando and Rochester are basically DII organizations playing at DIII) and only a handful have ever done 4k for a season. It's not easy to do.

As for things changing since 1997...well, duh. But very, very few teams have even come close to Cleveland's opening game at the DIII level since then. No one had a 5k crowd in DIII in 2010, there were 15 such crowds in 2011 (one disputed, the others in Rochester, Orlando and Wilmington) and 26 such crowds in 2012 (the usual suspects, plus one in Richmond).

I can tell you, though, that player appearances don't sell a lot of tickets. Ticket sales reps making appearances and calls and building relationships - that's what sells tickets. You guys being visible is good toward building goodwill and awareness and all that. But anyone who counts on that putting a lot of butts in seats...well, I've seen that all before.

PFC has, basically, 100 days until its home opener if it's in early April, as it should be. They'll have to sell 50 tickets a day, every day, to get to 5,000, and they're not selling any today (and not a lot without actually being able to tell people what tickets cost).

And stadium appearance, location and accessibility also don't sell a ton of tickets (it's nice, though). I don't know exactly where 5,000 people are going to park, but I'm interested to see if they do it.

5. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the one hand, you're right that this is a very steep hill to climb. On the other hand, don't you find it encouraging that from '10 to '11 to '12 you see an increasing number of 5K+ crowds? Mind you, I don't think that Phoenix are going to average 5K per game, but there is a trend toward increased attendance, yes?

This is so, and it has to be troubling that Phoenix are not yet selling tickets. They should have had that together for the holiday season. Nice stocking stuffer, ya know?

Yeah, all of this.

I do think it's a hopeful sign that there are more people interested in owning a soccer team (at all levels) in the USA, and there appears to be more interest from sponsors, and we are definitely getting more press, more mentions in media, more inclusion in movies and TV shows. That's all good, but it only sets the stage for: "Ticket sales reps making appearances and calls and building relationships." They are really going to have to work it. Attention from the local media will be a big help, but "boots on the ground" is what's needed.

I sure hope that Phoenix are successful (in terms of butts in the seats, money from sponsors, and attention from the local media). I want to see improved attendance and more cash from sponsors in USL, NASL, and of course, MLS. But I still think it's going to be a long haul before we get to reasonably stable lower division soccer in the USA.

- Mark

6. yojimbo81

yojimbo81 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's business parking all around the stadium and across the street. There's park and ride locations in Phoenix, Tempe and Mesa for light rail access in addition to other parking along light rail as well. Honestly, though...how likely is it that 5k will show up for the opener or any game in the first season. I'd love to see it happen but USL Pro attendance figures would show it's highly unlikely.

7. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they advertise the hell out of it, and if they get some free press for it (which seems very likely), is 5K that much for the Phoenix metro area? I would think not, but I don't live there.

But let's say just for the hell of it, that they do get 5K for their first match (and then not again for the rest of the season). Is there parking for say 1,000 cars? Maybe more like 1,200 to 1,500 cars? Can people use the business parking near the stadium? (This would not be the case in Silly Valley, nor Portland, but you're in Phoenix where it might be OK.)

Whatever happens, I hope they get good crowds all season and lots of sponsorship money.

- Mark

8. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, 5k is a lot. There are a lot of soccer fans in Phoenix, but they are fragmented. There are fans of the Mexican league, European League/UCL fans, and some MLS fans mixed in. There is some crossover between the groups, especially the later 2. I think it will be tough to appeal to all 3 groups. There isn't much buzz about the team among my soccer friends either. I play a couple times a week, but can't remember anyone I play with talking about Phoenix FC. Phoenix sports fans seem to have a 'what have you done for me lately' mentality and there is a history of bad owners with the Bidwells (though they have gotten better), Sarver (Suns), Colangelo almost bankrupting the D'Backs (they did win a Wolrd Series but there were dark days afterwards), and the Coyotes lacking an owner altogether. 5k is definitely possible, but I think more fans will come if Phoenix FC shows in can win on the field and provide a good, affordable fan experience.

I don't think parking will be as much of an issue as some people are making it out to be. Then again I can walk or ride my bike to the games. As you mention local businesses in the area will open their lots to fans, at least they do during ASU football games, and I don't think they will turn down a shot to make an easy couple hundred bucks. ASU also has many parking spaces in Lot 59 near Sun Devil Stadium. I don't know quite how it would work out given students use those lots, but I imagine they would figure something out. Parking and Transit at ASU never misses an opportunity to make a quick buck. If there are enough spots for the thousands of people who commute to ASU 5 days a week and for ASU football games, there will be enough parking for Phoenix FC. It won't be free, but it will be there.

9. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So part of the issue will be converting Mexican Futbol fans or Eurofans to USLPro fans. That's going to be tough. This has been of the biggest challenges for MLS. I'm not saying it can't be done, and were I in Phoenix, I'd certainly support the local USLPro side. But there are plenty of "soccer fans" who won't go, no matter what.

Then you need to talk about Phoenix FC and encourage your player friends to go to games. At some point you'll get a jersey, or a t-shirt, or a pennant. Wear your gear to work, around town, wherever. Put a pennant or scarf in your work place. Each and everyone of us has to talk up the team, the game, and attending matches. That's how buzz is built.

You, and other Phoenix fans will have to help break that down. It's that simple. Fans need to create more fans.

Affordable and fun are key, winning is secondary. The Portland Timbers had great attendance while in USL, even when they sucked. Their second season in MLS was dead awful, but they sold out every match. As an expansion side, Phoenix will most likely be a weak team. You fans (and the club) will have to figure out how to connect with fans in spite of that.

Clearly, the supporters group is going to be key in driving attendance and to some extent, media buzz. There's a lot of work for the team to do too, but an active and involved supporters group will be key.

Excellent! And what I was saying about parking in business parking lots, is that by and large, that's not allowed in San José nor Portland. In Silly Valley, parking is difficult, and most lot owners are exclusive use, though there are public pay lots too. Happily, the new Quakes stadium will have plenty of parking, and it's next to mass transit, and the airport, and should be pretty accessible. Parking in Portland is terrible, but mass transit is excellent. So most people either take transit to the games, or they walk from some distance away.

See, every market is different. Every market has it's own challenges and it's own upsides. I hope to see Phoenix do really well, and hey, if they can average 3K fans per game, that will be excellent! The main trick will be getting sponsors to pony up some cash.

Soccer has not quite made it into the mainstream in the USA, but we're really close. Healthy minor leagues will be a sign that we have arrived.

- Mark

10. Gutika113

Gutika113 New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Devon?

11. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crack open Google Earth, zoom in to Tempe (east of Phoenix, other side of the river), and look up "soccer stadium". It's at the NE corner of University Dr. and Rural Rd.

There's a good deal of parking around the buildings to the immediate south and southwest of the stadium itself, and empty practice fields to the immediate west.

It's within walking distance of Sun Devil Stadium. Where did they park people when that actually was in full use?

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a RSL press release today:

Major League Soccer and USL PRO announced today a groundbreaking, multi-year partnership that will enhance the development of professional players in North America, strengthen the competition in both leagues, and establish a solid foundation for future collaboration.
    For 2013, the partnership will include interleague play between USL PRO and MLS Reserve League teams, and the establishment of several exclusive team affiliations. These initial programs will immediately improve professional player development in the United States and Canada. Additional technical and commercial initiatives between the two leagues will be announced as they are finalized in the coming months.
    As part of the partnership, the Real Salt Lake Reserves will play first-year USL Pro side Phoenix FC in a home-and-home series. RSL Reserves will host Phoenix FC in the Salt Lake leg of the series at Rio Tinto Stadium on Monday, April 22.
    “This partnership represents the first step in a long-term alliance between MLS and USL PRO to connect domestic professional soccer through a system that benefits player development, competition and the overall business of our sport,” MLS Executive Vice President of Player Relations & Competition Todd Durbin said. “Over the past several years, USL PRO has made great strides in restructuring in a manner that serves to complement the objectives of MLS. This is a win-win for all involved and it demonstrates our strong commitment to growing North American professional soccer at all levels.”
    The MLS clubs entering exclusive team affiliations with USL Pro sides will send at least four players on long-term loans from the MLS parent club to its USL Pro affiliate. Those MLS teams with formal USL PRO affiliates will not participate in the 2013 MLS Reserve League. Neither MLS nor USL PRO clubs are required to enter into an affiliation, and specific affiliations will be announced in the coming days.
    Real Salt Lake does not currently have an exclusive team affiliation with Phoenix FC or any other USL Pro club. RSL will participate in the 2013 MLS Reserve League.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it really? Thanks for that, because, you know, despite the fact I actually live here, despite the fact I actually teach at ASU and despite the fact I've broadcast a game from ASU's soccer stadium, I had no idea where it was. Thanks, Mr. 3,000 miles away! That's very helpful!

Parking is not exactly plentiful at ASU - even for people with actual university business. Trust me.

It just makes me laugh how often you use crap like Google Earth and never leave Central Florida, yet you can tell everyone exactly what's going on in their own backyards. Very, very useful.

Man, please.

14. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Parking will be adequate for the actual attendance they get (I hope). If they do get anywhere near capacity (roughly 5K is their current claim) it will definitely be a problem. My biggest concern is the lack of marketing right now. Most local people don't know they exist.

The lightrail proximity is a good thing though. Quite a few of us in LFR will be using that, predrinking at Devil's Advocate and then marching together to the stadium.

15. Roosevelt1911

Roosevelt1911 Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Central Phoenix
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been a while, sorry, life is getting in the way. WTF! Where is the marketing.... merchandising? How about some scarves to hang around town or Jerseys (How come Orlando doesnt have to wear Nike). The website should be crawling with info and news (and jerseys!) The marketing is AWFUL! RANT, RANT, RANT, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH - seriously WTF!

16. Roosevelt1911

Roosevelt1911 Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Central Phoenix
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kenn can you blast me out the water so I know I'm alive...and so I know this thread is still relavant...

I will be taking lightrail to and from games, though probably drinking at Angel Trumpet...could I at least get a sticker for my car, something, anything I can buy to know that this whole thing is real and not a joke...Is there anyone at PFC that actually reads these posts or do they leave that up to the piss poor marketing/publicity firm they have hired to keep everything a secret...

17. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PFC actually has a guy that comes to our events now to sell scarves if you are interested.
    Our next event is the second week of Feb. I am also frustrated with the lack of advertising. Word of mouth isn't going to cut it for what they are trying to achieve.

18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kenn's in hiding, remember? He said that he was taking a2013 off, and that we could be stupid without him. ;)

Though, I see that he posted something over the weekend. I wonder if he's in withdrawl? (I sure as hell would be! I've been spending time over here in the USL and NASL fora because there's not enough traffic in the Quakes forum.)

So not much happening on the ground in Phoenix, eh? Good luck dudes. It's a big enough market, and it sounds like they have a decent stadium situation, at least for a few years. But this is going nowhere if they don't advertise and market the team. Maybe they are busy getting sponsorships together? Maybe the lateness of the schedule was sucking up a lot of their time and energy? (Clearly, I'm trying to be generous.)

We should be hearing (and seeing for those of you who are local) noise from both Phoenix FC and VSI Tampa Bay in the immediately near future. First game is March 23rd. (Speaking of which, are there any signs of life in El-Lay Bluesland?) I'm beginning to get worried. :unsure:

- Mark

19. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In regards to Phoenix FC
    This is of course all speculation....................but I believe the Nike/Umbro spin off put a delay on their jersey sales (there was an order in place with Umbro which had to then be cancelled and transfered to Nike). I also believe the MLS Reserve/USL PRO, integration had an affect on both the schedule and player roster. The stadium deal was harder to finalize than they had anticipated. All these factors are out of the hands of the FO. I have heard speculation all over the map on sponsors, which means to me that it's currently in negotiation and that they probably don't have anything finalized. I have heard of 7 players that are signed, with rumors that there are more unannounced that have been signed.

In regards to LA Blues
    I have recently spoken with their ticket guy as a few of us are heading over for the season opener. I know that the fans are pretty jaded there after only 2 seasons and the owners have lost a lot of money.

In regards to VSI Tampa Bay
    It seems they have a lot of financial backing, but they seem really far behind the curve as far as putting a team together though as they are just now holding tryouts. Officially they have signed 2 players.

One thing that has surprised me about the schedule is that they didn't procure a single game TV deal of any sort for the opening game and that they chose one of the worst attended pro teams in North America to kick things off with.

markmcf8 repped this.
  20. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! So Nike is going to do all of the USL uni's this season?

Yeah, I'm sure that caused some of the delay, but in the end, that's OK.

They announced the stadium ... well, it seems like a long time ago, but not really. And yes, some of this was either out of the FO's hands, or at least partly in someone else's hands. That's the nature of business deal that involve other companies.

Sponsorships are always in negotiation. These can be announced at anytime really. If they draw some big crowds early it might help.

That's a good sign. But really, they could have started a PR campaign right after they announced the stadium. Not that I want to be too critical here, it's not my money after all. I'm sure they have a lot on their plates. I hope that they run a successful, professional club.

Right. The question there is are the willing to keep losing money? They just hired a higher profile GM and Head Coach, which suggests that they want to give it another couple of years, or at least a good run this year. If they see an uptick in attendance and perhaps advertisers, then maybe they'll decide to stick with it another couple of years. (Sacramento and Phoenix coming into the league has to be a help. If they can swing an affiliation with either the galaxatives or the GoatBangers that would be a help too.) I hope they hang in there.

Yeah, I see only two names on their website, but that site isn't necessarily the most uptodate. They do have lots of cash, and we have to hope for lots of patience. But their lack of progress is troubling.

Getting a TV contract has to be tough for USLPro. It should be a top priority going forward, but even that won't make it a thing accomplished. The association with MLS will help, but they need some better looking stadia, and some more money. Maybe a game a week or some such? Is Fox Soccer Channel a possibility? I don't know, just throwing out some ideas here. Right now, I'll be happy with a few more teams and some stability. TV would be great, and it's necessary in the long-run, but I'm not pissed that they don't have that together yet.

- Mark

21. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To the best of my knowledge Nike is doing all of USL Pro with the exception of Orlando. I know USL PRO had the final on NBC Sports, I'm sure it didn't do well numbers wise, but they could look at GolTV (as long as they don't have some Segunda Division or Brazilian Serie A match going), even MLS live should have been on the table for integration negotiation. Then there are the options of KickTV, or any other Webcast that has a better reach than UNation.com (which is regularly viewed by 3-4 people) and probably has better cameras. If they are seriously trying to grow the league some kind of watchable broadcast is an absolute must. And what better place to start than the season opener.

22. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andrew Weber is a good GK. He commands his box well, directs the defense, and has good distribution skills. He's still young for a 'Keeper too. Great signing if you can get him.

Good news on the stadium too.

Excellent!

- Mark

24. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL blocked us on Weber, he's a local product, so I'd like to see him come here. Honestly though he'll probably make a lot more money at Rio Tinto, even if he doesn't get many minutes.

25. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States