Philosophy 102: Herd behavior - World Cup+Euros Sheep Draft

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Holy__Joe, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Having watched Aston Villa manage to keep a clean against foxy boxing and even after signing Figo, Futre and Larson on Fifa Ultimate team hasn't solved my footballing boredom and I feel that the disinterest in whatever LvG decides to regurgitate onto his team sheet is leaving others dissatisfied too.. I may edit this when sober, but probably won't. Pity yourselves that this is the leadership you've been left with.

Since in recent time there's already been some much more interesting iterations of the sheep draft held (for those who missed it bask in what better themes you could have participated in...) such as the all time United Draft, Prem-Era daft, All time, etc. etc.... I felt we at least needed a little theme and for no real justifiable reason I've decided on a World Cup+Euro performances commencing and including the year 1986.

The year was chosen because I feel that the players that competed in this era are all relatively comparable, players like Linekar and Maradona are the sort that you feel could compete in a modern(ish) era and are more 'fanboy'/'school yard' arguments of who's better.

Put Simply:

Player must have appeared in AT LEAST 1 World Cup, or European Cup.
    Tournaments held start with World Cup 1986 and end with World Cup 2014.
    NO CONFEDERATIONS CUP
    NO COPA SUDAMERICANA
    NO ASIAN CUP
    NO GOLD CUP*
    NO AFRICAN CUP OF NATIONS
    Oceania cup is allowed*
    Players performances are rated on their performances ONLY in these competitions. for example, Messi while acceptably a great player probably isn't your best pick in this draft as "Scoring the winner against Iran" isn't quite comparable to the guy that selected Di Maria from the same team.
    Yes this does make it a little confusing, but it also leaves players ability less up to interpretation.

Why bother? Well simply because hopefully it shakes up players selections up a little bit, the big guns aren't always the same when it's limited to an odd scope and research is key.

*Why bother though?

You're not interested?

Fair enough :) I'm not playing.

2. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Timing of announcements of criteria, deadlines, etc. are up for debate, whatever suits anyone that can be bothered really.

I'm still only leave until end of the month so I can make the turnarounds for voting as quick as you want.

3. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    *Banned*

Replaced by your understudy *Miscellaneous Colombian Fanboy #3"

4. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    No draft threads during the season. Wait until the summer!

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    This season is an irrelevance.