Philly at Carolina Saturday 8/9 [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Heeligan2, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    We tied them 1 to 1. We did not look good for the most part. During the final stoppage time period we tried as hard as we could to give them a goal but they just couldn't put it in. I'm not sure if that penaly kick call was fair or not. I tend to think not. No instant replays to reflect on. The foul was by Borgman -- the second time I recall this season that she has been called for a foul in the box.

Here is the box score:

Goals by Period 1 2 Tot
    Philadelphia Charge 1 0 1
    Carolina Courage 1 0 1

Scoring Summary:
    CAR -- Birgit Prinz 11 (Staci Burt 4) 9
    PHI -- Pavlina Scasna 1 (Erin Misaki 2, Marinette Pichon 3) 13

Philadelphia Charge -- Hope Solo, Lorrie Fair (Emily Burt 74), Heather Mitts, Jennifer Tietjen-Prozzo, Jenny Benson, Rachel Kruze, Mary McVeigh, Erin Misaki (Kelly Smith 56), Stacey Tullock, Marinette Pichon, Pavlina Scasna (Trina Maso de Moya 44).

TOTAL SHOTS: 18 (3 tied with 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 6 (Trina Maso de Moya 2, Marinette Pichon 2); FOULS: 13 (Erin Misaki 4); OFFSIDES: 4 (Marinette Pichon 2); CORNER KICKS: 5 (Jenny Benson 4); SAVES: 7 (Hope Solo 5)

Carolina Courage -- Kristin Luckenbill (Maite Zabala 46), Staci Burt (Brooke O'Hanley 32), Erin Baxter, Nel Fettig, Danielle Slaton, Kim Montgomery (Danielle Borgman 70), Unni Lehn, Tiffany Roberts, Robin McCullough (Marcia Wallis 58), Venus James (Carla Overbeck 65), Birgit Prinz.

TOTAL SHOTS: 15 (Kim Montgomery 4, Birgit Prinz 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 8 (Birgit Prinz 3); FOULS: 13 (3 tied with 2); OFFSIDES: 2 (Venus James 1, Unni Lehn 1); CORNER KICKS: 2 (Brooke O'Hanley 2); SAVES: 5 (Maite Zabala 4)

Misconduct Summary:
    CAR -- Unni Lehn (caution) 90
    CAR -- Erin Baxter (caution) 90

Referee: Erich Simmons
    Referee's Assistants: -Daniel Burak; Sandra Serafini
    4th Official: Charles Mitchell
    Attendance: 5,950
    Time of Game: 1:53
    Weather: Partly Cloudy-and-80-degrees

2. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Carolina 1-Philly 1

Birgit's goal was classic. One-on-one, you had to feel sorry for the keeper as she faced her doom. It was a thing of beauty. She tried repeatedly for the rest of the game to get open near the goal, but it never came again.

I was impressed with Maite Zabala in goal during the second half. She was taking some lumps at the beginning of the season filling in for Lucks but she's a good keeper.

3. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    More Pictures

My pictures from the game...

http://www.nc-soccer.com/courage2003/aug9

I think Birgit has softened some playing with the Courage. She had a couple of other opportunities dribbling to the goal that she... being the 1st or 2nd best forward in the world... should have nailed cold. Hopefully she'll come back with her cyborg mentality of attacking the goal next year. :)

I wonder if the Courage will be able to find a lineup with Fotop, Prinz, and Venus starting? I think Venus looked the strongest of any of the players on the field during the end stretch.

Oh well... bye, bye season 3.

4. Oddball#34

Oddball#34 New Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Apex, NC
    My opinion.

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents.

First of all, I love the Courage, and have supported them through thick and thin. Especially the thin this season, and some of you know of what I speak. But, I was embarassed by the actions of some of our fans on saturday. Several fans sitting behind OUR BENCH, yelling during the game at Coach Entlich and the staff about our defense. I know a lot of people paid good money for season tickets, but c'mon folks. Those comments effect more than the staff and are heard by more than the staff. I kept seeing several players turn around and look up in the stands like. "C'mon, we've had a rough enough season already, now you are yelling about our play."

When you lose the best midfielder in the game, without a doubt. You lose someone who can hold the midfield, and serve to the forwards.

I also think, that Birgit was trying too hard, when she got into those situations last year, she had fotop to pass off too.

Okay, now I feel better.

K~

5. love to play

love to play New Member

Jul 16, 2001
    NC
    Sad to hear about the booing

That is sad to hear about the booing from behind the Courage bench. I know it has been a tough season but that is possibly a bit excessive. I for one am grateful that we have professional soccer here. I would think we would want to thank all the Courage players for their hard work, effort and general graciousness that they show towards all their fans. I would hope that the fans might show some gratitude back to them for staying after EVERY game to sign all the autographs we want and
    for being as cordial as they are after every game no matter what had happened on the pitch. Maybe I am still amazed at how accessible the players are to all the fans, much more so than any other professional sport that i have been to and maybe I just feel the need to be thankful for that.

Heres to hoping there are no more boos from our fans towards our team.

6. Oddball#34

Oddball#34 New Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Apex, NC
    I second that motion. No More booing from out own fans.

K~

7. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    Our side boos the referees sometimes but not our team! I think the majority of the fans have been very vociferous in expressing our appreciation and affection for our players, and I feel sure the players are aware that the negative stuff is coming from just a few. I hope so anyway!