Phillips Promoted; Lipsher Waived

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Mattymags811, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the pieces have started to fall together re:Burke's presence. Ashley Phillips was promoted to the senior roster and Alli Lipsher was waived today.

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If she clears waivers, do you think she'd bcm the Breakers' dev keeper? Or do you think she won't clear waivers?

3. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm honestly not sure if she could go backwards like that. My hunch is that Meagan Burke, who has been practicing with the team and was at Meet the Breakers, will be the dev. keeper.

4. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow. sucks for Alli.

tough time to be released....It'll be nearly impossible to grab a roster spot at this point...At best she'd take a dev spot from someone...

But I agree, the way Tony talked up convincing Burke to come over from Chicago I don't think he's looking for Alli to be the dev keeper...

But then again, Tony told us at Meet the Coach a few weeks ago that even though she's being pushed by Allysa and Ashley, Alli was doing great in preseason and will be entering the season as the #1 keeper...

I guess she was pushed right out the door...

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, gotcha. And I can see that a player who just lost her roster spot to two other keepers would be ready for a change even though she got her big chance with the team last year. So, who needs a backup w/ WPS game experience?

And maybe she wasn't pushed but jumped once it was clear she'd been beaten out.

eta: The CRS roster only lists 2 keepers.

6. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the backup story in ATL? I know Philly is pretty darn set with KK and Val and Sky Blue have Bards and Branam (injured yeah, but you wouldnt bring Lipsher in just for short-term).

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brett Maron is the current backup. And their dev keeper is a rookie, Lofton-Mallori. Maron has a surprisingly detailed wiki page. I'm guessing that one of the Sweden-based posters in rivalry could give you more info on her time at Kristianstads if you really wanted to know more.

8. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like Blue Skies might have a spot for her too, at least for next 2 months with Branam out with a broken kneecap.

9. McDude

McDude New Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Gutsy move by Tony who is not afraid to shake things up....interesting to see how this one plays out. Strong performance by breakers last wk so should be favorite in this week's game again.

10. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the "In the Six" e-mail I just got:

"Goalkeeper Allison Lipsher was moved to the developmental squad in a related transaction."

Interesting, no?

11. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Correct. Ashley Phillips and Ali Lipsher have effectively swapped roles, with Phillips now on the 18-woman roster and Lipsher practicing with the developmental squad. Meghann Burke's tryout period with the Breakers has ended.

Andy

12. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that certainly clears up any confusion I had. I'm glad she gets to stay.

13. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the update, Andy.

Does this make my second season autographed soccer ball more or less valuable because Meghann Burke signed it? :D

14. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most certainly to the Burke family it does.

15. Dartsoc

Dartsoc New Member

May 16, 2004
    That Tony C is quite the coach - never messes with anyone's minds and keeps all his players happy and in balance.

16. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After pandering to Arod last year, it is reassuring to see he can make tough decisions based on player performance, rather than past history.

17. tcrawdad

tcrawdad New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great to see Ashley getting the chance to show her worth. Her one-handed save on Sunday was classic Phillips, for those who saw her play with Clemson. Who says you have to come up as a "golden child" in the USWNT system in order to have a proshot?

18. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    I like her aggressiveness very much.

19. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do as well, especially compared to another keeper who seemed to be glued to the line.