Philippines Football Thread II[R]

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Pelefan, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #701 Pelefan, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Unfortunately the COVID pandemic has affected Philippine football a bit. Many of the companies supporting teams in the recently launched PFL might withdraw their support because of economic difficulties resulting from the lockdown.

On the positive side, Filipino-Swiss defender Michael Kempter who plays for Swiss Super League powerhouse FC Zurich finally got his clearance to play for the Philippines from FIFA after 2 long years of waiting.

He used to play at various levels for the Swiss national youth teams so it took awhile before he was granted clearance to switch feds.

https://sports.inquirer.net/397472/after-long-wait-to-suit-up-kempter-wants-to-be-azkals-leader/amp

Also Fil Swedish defender Jesper Nyholm who was highly rated in the Swedish top tier and was poised to join the Philippine national football team before his devastating injury in 2018 is finally practicing again and will join the Swedish leagues this season with Swedish top tier team Djurgardens IF.

Midfielder Gerrit Holtman who plays for Bundesliga 2 side Sport-Club Paderborn 07(recently relegated from the Bundesliga) and used to play for Bundesliga side Mainz 05 has also contacted the national team Coach Scott Cooper and expressed interest in playing for the Azkals.

sbahnhof and mike4066 repped this.
  2. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #702 Pelefan, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Other new players based abroad who are on Cooper’s wishlist are goaltender Bernd Schipmann, Jesse Curran(used to play in the Scottish Championship with Dundee FC but now plays in Thailand top tier), Raphael Obermair, Niko de Vera(Portland Timbers in MLS) and youngsters 19 y/o Oliver Bias from Germany(who had stints with the German U15, U16 and U17 national youth teams), and 21 y/o Jefferson Tabinas from Japan who plays for J1 league team Gamba Osaka.

Schipmann(who plays in the lower tiers) would only serve as a depth player at goaltender especially with former English Premiership goaltender Etheridge at #1 and several other top tier goaltenders available to back him up but the other players including the players I mentioned earlier would be good additions to the Azkals and some could conceivably compete for starting positions on the national team.

mike4066 repped this.
  3. Ofori

Ofori Member

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    It seems Philippines are trying to build a core group of guys most are dual nationals but I love it

4. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Any updates or news of when they’re restarting the World Cup and Asian Cup qualifying?

Currently, the Azkals are tied for 2nd place with China. I think the Chinese team still has to play Syria who are still undefeated and on their way to winning the group. That means the Philippines need to finish in the top 2 to advance to the next round of World Cup qualifying and also qualify to the 2023 Asian Cup.

I believe they only have 3 games left. Guam, Maldives, and China. They should win those games against Guam and Maldives. The game against China will decide who gets 2nd place and advances.

5. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #705 Pelefan, Sep 12, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    All the WC/AC qualifying this year has been postponed by the AFC and FIFA. Many countries refused to give up their rights to host games when a centralized location was suggested including China which is hosting a crucial game against the Philippines. Possibly early next year.

6. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Azkals' Neil Etheridge heads to Birmingham City

National team goalkeeper Neil Etheridge has signed a deal with second-tier English football club Birmingham City FC.

Etheridge inked a four-year deal with Birmingham after spending three years in Cardiff City FC.

"I'm now onto a new chapter of my career and I'm absolutely delighted to sign here at Blues! I can't wait to get started and hopefully play my part in bringing success back to this fantastic club," wrote Etheridge.

www.philstar.com/sports/2020/09/12/2041935/azkals-neil-etheridge-heads-birmingham-city